• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

I'm quitting methadone

I have been through coming off of methadone. All I can say is that you should try to decrease but do it slowly or else it's going to be counterproductive from experience. Try that as slow as you can even though you feel right now that you can do it faster - thing about the long term results. Especially when you have to cut 5 mg at a time.

Hope you get that right and out of your system as time goes.

My clinic forces 10mg cuts until I get too 100mg. I find that really stupid but it's set in stone policy for some reason. I have to wait until Tuesday anyway on account of memorial day anyway. That'll be 8 days. I am considering waiting till Thursday since I have more time now. I don't feel as much pressure to rush. Plus that will be a 12 percent dose decrease in 16 days which is significant imo. Thanks for the input it's nice to know that you did it and ended up ok. It's a scary thing. I've heard so many horror stories but it's usually because they half assed the taper. I'm not making that mistake.

Thanks for the encouragement Simco it means alot. And your right I was relieved to pass the drug test but it kinda added to my motivation because I'm tired of worrying about drug tests and other bullshit. I haven't told my family about my taper yet. I am going to wait until I drop a little lower to discuss it with them. As they are under stress elsewhere. But they are do supportive overall.

CH yeah man it was awful. Like I would fall asleep for 5 minutes then wake up from restless legs but I absolutely swear I got less then an hour of sleep total in those 12 days. Finally on day 13 I slept 4 hours. But the insomnia never went away completely until I relapsed. It was fucking hell to say the least.

The only troubIe i see is stress. My grandmother is dying of cancer and it's creating a stressful terrible situation for everyone. I may pause my taper as the end grows closer for her as my main concern is not putting too much stress on myself. Stress is my number 1 trigger.

Last edited:
Can you feel the difference if your dose goes down 10mg?

When I would titrate my buprenorphine dosage up/down more than 10% I wouldn't really notice. I only felt withdrawal if I stopped shooting up every few hours :|

Can you feel the difference if your dose goes down 10mg?

When I would titrate my buprenorphine dosage up/down more than 10% I wouldn't really notice. I only felt withdrawal if I stopped shooting up every few hours :|

Yeah I woke up feeling a tinge dope sick for 4-5 days after dropping to 160mg. It did take 2 days to become noticable though as i bled off the half life of the higher dose. Nothing crazy just a runny nose and a bit restless. It made my morning dose feel awsome though. I feel 95 percent back to normal today which is day 6 since the drop. I am thinking I will drop again on Tuesday. I don't want to rush but I don't really want to get acclimated to a dose either. I want my body to constantly feel like it needs to ramp up endorphin production. OK that's some junky BS science but it sounds good. ;)

Yeah. I also happened to read through the rest of the thread, to the subsequent posts where cj indicated that he had become interested and motivated to use kratom (and if that doesn't work buprenorphine) as opposed to a more dangerous opioid like heroin or fent:

Yes, I did recommend he taper instead of going to rehab right now. Rehabs would demand he detox from the methadone, which without a proper taper will be difficult and uncomfortable (and there are other issues with just jumping into abstinence right now in cj's case). Totally unnecessarily so. There is no ticking time bomb here.

Did you notice where I have consistently suggested that rehab/detox would be such a bad idea when he's finished as much of a taper as is possible? So I haven't even been saying that the issue is whether or not he should go to rehab/detox. I've actually been saying the issue is when going to rehab/detox would be most appropriate.

The fact of the matter is, right now it's not very advisable (I mean, intentionally trying to use heroin to get off methadone or something would certainly be a far more problematic idea that getting immediate inpatient treatment, but that is not at all the current situation).

And no, nowhere have I stated he should start using heroin or fent. Not in the post you're quoting, not anywhere else in this thread. Please, show me where I tell him to use heroin and fent...

You seem to forget that cj is currently getting help, he is still part of a program where he works with a counselor/case manager, doctor and nurses. He is being held accountable by regular drug testing. He is getting monitored help organizing and maintaining his taper off the medication.

This might not be the ideal situation regarding the type of treatment they provide, you might not think it ideal, but cj has regularly expresses how it has been the right treatment for him, that it has saved his life.

This is particularly why it is so unfortunate the situation his clinic's/state's backwards policies has put him into.

Thanks for reminding us. You don't seem to understand that that kind of confrontational shaming technique doesn't work very well. And that this is a harm reduction forum, or what the rainbow of harm reduction entails? Did you know that abstinence from harmful behavior is a core part of harm reduction?

Yes. And while we're at it, we should also make sure we give him electroshock therapy for his mental illness. Or better yet, we could lobotomize him a little bit - he'd become so much more manageable then!

8)

Do you or anyone here even CJ as delusional as he can be, actually believe that he's going to use Kratom, get back on subs/bupe, or slowly get off Methadone and NOT buy and use fent, or heroin, or other drugs from a dealer? 8)

Look CJ, this is not harassment when I write this but you do not seem to actually want to become sober, or stay sober, and you are in a crisis mode and things are dangerous right now for you. You are your own worst enemy and while you can't save people from themselves please listen to the people here who are telling you to get off of all drugs, check into a rehab or hospital, and stop using all drugs completely.

I'm sorry about your grandmother but continuing to use drugs is not going to help you.

It would be best for you if you check into a rehab or hospital to get off both the benzos and opiates, and you actually get sober from all drugs including cannabis and hash as using cannabis will only lead you back to addiction and using drugs like opiates, cocaine, etc. and you're playing with fire if you believe that you are invincible and will never overdose, get a bag cut with fent, etc.

But this is bluelight, where a lot of people die and overdose and your "harm reduction" and "sober living" forums are a total joke.

Last edited:
But this is recovery, where a lot of people die and overdose and what you do is a total joke.

Thanks for that wisdom. Because the only people ODing are folks who use Bluelight or practice harm reduction... 8) I guess the tragic irony here is that individuals who inject drugs who aren't using something like BL or practicing harm reduction are much more likely to OD than if they were involved or educate themselves.

I am grateful there are other people who actually are using this forum to actually engage and better themselves. I can certainly say that this OP seems to have done far more work on himself than anyone who waste our time trolling recovery forums.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you or anyone here even CJ as delusional as he can be, actually believe that he's going to use Kratom, get back on subs/bupe, or slowly get off Methadone and NOT buy and use fent, or heroin, or other drugs from a dealer? 8)

Look CJ, this is not harassment when I write this but you do not seem to actually want to become sober, or stay sober, and you are in a crisis mode and things are dangerous right now for you. You are your own worst enemy and while you can't save people from themselves please listen to the people here who are telling you to get off of all drugs, check into a rehab or hospital, and stop using all drugs completely.

I'm sorry about your grandmother but continuing to use drugs is not going to help you.

It would be best for you if you check into a rehab or hospital to get off both the benzos and opiates, and you actually get sober from all drugs including cannabis and hash as using cannabis will only lead you back to addiction and using drugs like opiates, cocaine, etc. and you're playing with fire if you believe that you are invincible and will never overdose, get a bag cut with fent, etc.

But this is bluelight, where a lot of people die and overdose and your "harm reduction" and "sober living" forums are a total joke.

This is an incredibly condescending attitude. Please check the attitude at the door.

I've urged CJ to quit methadone and benzos, but it's his life. If he wants to use, or not immediately quit, I'm not going to get angry with him or any other members over it.

If someone is still using and needs to talk it out, that's acceptable here as long as it's not glorifying drug use or excessively triggering (without adequate warnings or NSFW tags). Please don't make CJ or anyone else feel unwelcome in participating in Sober Living.

I wish you all the best... keep your experience posted. I don't feel ready to start reducting my dosefrom 100mg a day but I'm thinking about splitting my dose to 50mg 12 hours apart... I kind of want to feel less lethargic and hopefully more energetic before I start work again but I'd love it be completely off of it! I know it's going to take some time either way. Good luck!

I wish you all the best... keep your experience posted. I'm don't feel ready to start reduction from 100mg a day but I'm thinking about splitting my dose to 50mg 12 hours apart. I kind of want to feel less lethargic before I start work again but I'd love it be completely off of it! I know it's going to take some time either way. Good luck!

Alpha you've made your point loud and clear repeating it over and over isn't making me agree with you more. I'm tapering off methadone at my own pace not the pace you think I should. Now kindly leave my threads alone. Also b the next time you attack another member of the forum or the forum itself you will receive another temp ban. This isn't a 12 step forum but there are many out there you might feel more welcome in.

I wish my clinic offered split dosing. I know it would be a big help to me but they dont unfortunately.

btw, I hear when u get down to 30 mg when u come down on your own terms [I came down past that, about down to 21 or less during 21-SHOULD BE ILLEGAL-DAY RAPID DETOX!] that it starts to get EASIER.30. THIS MUST DEPEND on HOW FAST n HOW MUCH OF UR DOSE U DECREASE within a DAILY-BASIS!
When u do get to 30 mg, I would TRY once MG a DAY!!! If that becomes TOO MUCH TO FAST, go to a half mg a day IF POSSIBLE @ YOUR CLINIC... If not, then try 1 mg every other day!.... even every WEEK = down a whole mg is STILL PROGRESS!! as long as u CAN GET DOWN TO 0 mg AS COMFORTABLY AS POSSIBLE IS ALL THAT MATTERS!! well, says me since I find W/D to b SHEOL [the pit] as I used various versions of "DOPE" to treat these very disorders I stopped self medicating for RITE when they started to @ LEAST partially treat me for...[ANXIETY, PANIC DISORDER[I pass out a lot from those] EXTREME ADD multi subtypes n borderline personality..]

I wish you all the best... keep your experience posted. I don't feel ready to start reducting my dosefrom 100mg a day but I'm thinking about splitting my dose to 50mg 12 hours apart... I kind of want to feel less lethargic and hopefully more energetic before I start work again but I'd love it be completely off of it! I know it's going to take some time either way. Good luck!

Splitting your dose is a really smart idea. :)

Alpha you've made your point loud and clear repeating it over and over isn't making me agree with you more. I'm tapering off methadone at my own pace not the pace you think I should. Now kindly leave my threads alone. Also b the next time you attack another member of the forum or the forum itself you will receive another temp ban. This isn't a 12 step forum but there are many out there you might feel more welcome in.

I wish my clinic offered split dosing. I know it would be a big help to me but they dont unfortunately.

I hope you know that a lot of us really do care about your well being man. :)

cj....hope you are doing well... Getting off methadone, honestly, I think was easier than getting off of heroin... at least that was my experience, I know everyone else's is different but keep up the good work dude. I got off methadone we all know how well that went for me LOL.... Lean on whoever you need to lean on for support and fuck the haters... Opinions are like assholes everybody has one but some just stink a lot more than others

Last edited:
Im dropping 10mg tommorow to 150. I got my gabapentin script refililled today so that's what I was waiting on. Hopefully it goes well.

I think your doing good cj congrats on passing your ua ...i live in a legal mj state and from what i understand pain patients and probably methdone patients are not supposed to be using mj either which is annoying because i do think it helps me i just can not experiment too much because it has to be out of my system for my ua at my doctors....

My thoughts are with you and your family as you spend time with yoyr grandma ....that is very stressful watching someone you love dying ....

I dropped too 150 today. Not feeling any different yet but I've taken alot of gabapentin. I spent the afternoon with my grandmother. It was good we laughed talked about the past. Talked about death and life. It was bittersweet.

Last edited:
I dropped too 150 today. Not feeling any different yet but I've taken alot of gabapentin. I d pi entry the afternoon with myou gramdmother. It was good we laughed talked about the past. Talked about death and life. It was bittersweet

You'll always be glad to have those conversations now.