• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

I think I'm actually addicted to sugar

deadendgame

Bluelighter
So the thing is, I think I'm actually addicted to sugar. I been consuming sugar my whole life and I never really stopped. I don't think there has been a single day where I didn't eat sugar. I actually went to the store today to stock up my room with Gatorade and Jolly Ranchers. Right next to it, I place a pack of water bottles. The problem is, I keep reaching for the sugar. I just can't stop myself. I reached for the Gatorade pile 3 times today. I somewhat know that this will lead to diabetes real quick but I don't think I'm gonna stop until I actually get diabetes. Why can't I get what I want in life? Every time I want something, people say I can't have it. It just pisses me off. Sugar puts a smile on my face and gives me energy to make it through the monotonous grind of life. I know that many of yall are addicted to other things, but this is my struggle and honestly I'm confused. I don't know if it is better or worse than other drugs. It might seem benign, but sugar has the potential to cause diabetes or other diseases I don't know about. Any help would be greatly appreciated. But I want yall to know, I did not make this thread for fun. This is a real thing that is happening to me. I actually do not know the long term damage of high sugar intake and I know I am not the only one going through this.

Yeah, honestly it's just willpower like with any addiction. You realize that it's going to cause problems, and you can indulge from time to time but most of the time you gotta just suck it up and make the choice. Easier said than done, I know, but there's no silver bullet that will fix everything.

I've had a binge eating dissorder for as long as I can remember. I'll go all day wthout eating sugar and then binge at night. It sucks man. Its harder to quit than smoking. But I mean, its def doable. My mom recently quit sugar. She had pre diabetes and after quitting sugar her levels are normal! you gotta cut out all carbs tho or youll still crave them. Let me give u some great link to a beautiful doctor. https://www.youtube.com/user/drericberg123/videos

Oh I forgot to mention. Sugar def makes us depressed. That im 100 percent sure about. I'll eat a bucket of ice cream and the next day I'm so freaking depressed and cant think!

I've had a binge eating dissorder for as long as I can remember. I'll go all day wthout eating sugar and then binge at night. It sucks man. Its harder to quit than smoking. But I mean, its def doable. My mom recently quit sugar. She had pre diabetes and after quitting sugar her levels are normal! you gotta cut out all carbs tho or youll still crave them. Let me give u some great link to a beautiful doctor. https://www.youtube.com/user/drericberg123/videos

Oh I forgot to mention. Sugar def makes us depressed. That im 100 percent sure about. I'll eat a bucket of ice cream and the next day I'm so freaking depressed and cant think!

It's not really healthy to just cut out all carbohydrates, as they're a part of a healthy diet. I agree that if you're coming off of a high sugar diet you should limit them and try to eat a higher protein diet, but cutting all carbs is not healthy I don't care what any diet doctor says.

^ what I mean is cutting out all fast acting carbohydrates like potatoes and noodles that spike insulin too much. Beans are carbs. they are fine. Even carrots and broccoli are carbs. All of that is healthy carbs. Even something like a very dark rye bread could be good.

Last edited:
Yeah, cutting simple carbs in favor of complex carbs would definitely help.

^ what I mean is cutting out all fast acting carbohydrates like potatoes and noodles that spike insulin too much. Beans are carbs. they are fine. Even carrots and broccoli are carbs. All of that is healthy carbs. Even something like a very dark rye bread could be good.

carrots and broccoli are not carbs, but they do contain carbs, and yes I'm aware of what carbs are.

its certainly not a protein or fat! broccoli is mostly water dude whatever lol. Its more carb than anything els. Nothing is really fully a carb.

Hey guys. Thanks so much for the advice. I'll try to eat less and less sugar each day

A lot of people are addicted to sugar without knowing it. Personally I am working to keep my refined sugar and simple carbohydrates down as far as possible. Sugar is found in way too many things and I avoid most of it by not eating snacks, other then fruit when i want something sweet, and no calorie kool-aid with my lunch. I know that the artificial sweeteners are not that good for you but i usually have one sweet drink with my lunch and then water all other times.

There have been days where my added sugar intake has been almost 0 by changing my diet to be all real food. It actually is cool considering sugar to be something avoided, I enjoy way more "bland" food then before and when i get something sweet its a treat. My roommate constantly drinks soft drinks and sugar flavored beverages to the point i can tell hes 100% addicted but he doesnt care to try. Not only the health aspect but he spends about 20 dollars on drinks alone a week, i spend 1 dollar on my 6 pack of individual kool aid packets, though sometimes i steal 2oz of Dr Pepper from him with my dinner if im feeling wild lol

I didn't really care how much sugar I was consuming until it started to really affect my teeth. Any more damage and it'll likely be root canal + crown time, which I absolutely can't afford with no dental insurance.

I've cut out 95% of soft drinks, juice, ice cream, chocolates, candy... I'll still have a tiny bit of jam on toast once in a while. It sucked to cut out the above but after a couple weeks I didn't crave it as much.

Plus now I'm brushing and flossing twice a day... if only I did this 15 years ago, I would have saved thousands

I think the majority of the world's population is addicted to regular short-term sugar-highs. The question is, when does it become pathological ? I think if I would not abuse drugs I would also lean more towards developing an eating disorder (as a main cause I would mention western social constraints, that cause a lot of unnatural stress and not enough free time to achieve physical and mental compensation).

It definitely makes me feel alot better when I don't eat sugar, but I think I like it way too much to quit permanently. After about 3 days I don't feel cravings so much any more. My advice for if you start trying to quit is to eat fruit high in fiber. The fiber slows the absorption of the sugar in the fruit, resulting in something sweet you can eat without getting a large blood sugar spike.

Simple sugars are highly addictive. Unlike most of the population, you have recognised the problem and can do something about it