• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quit Smoking - it's been over 2 months since I've bought a pack of cigarettes :)

dilated_pupils

Bluelighter
About 8-9 months ago I planned ahead to quit smoking. I find that when making life changes the more people you tell the more you expect to a) hear some sort of compliment or neg. reinforcement towards your goal and b) it challenges you more because you may feel the need to impress or show these said people that you follow through with your words.

I told no one for a while then casually brought it up - and now a few months later, I've quit.

I went a few weeks easy without even wanting or craving a cigarette, then I had a bit of a vapor/e-cig and didn't realize the nicotine content and for the next 72 hrs I craved cigarettes like crazy.

My goal - which I don't mind sharing now, is that since I've quit by month 6 after I will no longer consume any cigarettes no matter the situation. By one year to have been clean and be toxin free from the garbage in the cigarettes.

I don't smoke weed and haven't for years, so it's been a challenge thinking about how quitting smoking would impact my life but I have done my fare share of both to know it's OK to be done with them. If I ever really truly ever had to consume marijuana I can always eat it. There are positive effects yes, but cigarettes the only positive effect is if you were a smoker and smoked weed they found that certain cancer cells were killed off before becoming all-full blown out cancerous. I believe I successfully got that effect if I were to have had it - and I'm OK with not smoking anything.

I just want to let you all know it's very tough. I quit opiates/suboxone when I was in my teens/early twenties (alongside benzos) and cigarettes have been harder than kicking those habits. I think it's something to start with if your into other 'habits' or find yourself thinking it's hard to seperate the idea of quitting one thing from another - taking on too much is not healthy for the mind or the body. You need to decrease a habit and then increase the intake of the missing nutrients in the body whilst supplemneting the time you now have free to become a healthier human being. Working out -- even if you do already running an extra .5 miles or sprinting just 2-3 seconds more each run is a big deal and in your lifetime if you add that up (screw the money scenarios about how much you save from buying cigaretttes) this alone can increase your life span and quality of life ten-fold.

I hope this has helped inspire someone/person(s) to put some effort into quitting.

It's never too early or too late. You can always inspire then next generation and maybe one day we wont have cigarettes on the shelves, and there will be medicines that we need more readily available rather than the most life threatening cancer creating packs of smokes <3<3

Much love.

-dp

Congrats to you!!!! I've quit smoking twice, both times using a vape. Both times I have picked smoking back up due to stressful things going on in my life. I'm trying to quit again using my vape but find it's not working this time around. My Dr keeps wanting to prescribe me chantix but I can't get past all the horror stories I have heard/read. I know I'm probably going to have to bite the bullet and atleast try it but I think I want to try hypnotism first.

Keep up the good work!!!!!