• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Here's where kids are learning about drugs online

'medicine cabinet'

Bluelighter
Pretty bs article, figured I'd post it because it doesn't mention harm reduction except for praising narcan. Some errors, laudin instead of laudinum? Or was it called laudin at some point? Idk...but yea, thought it was kinda misleading by the title.

VALPARAISO — Retired Drug Enforcement Administration agent Joseph Rannazzisi urged a group of substance abuse counselors and emergency first responders earlier this week to visit erowid.org and bluelight.org.

"These are the people telling your kids how to do drugs," he said.

Calling up both websites on a large screen at the Porter County Memorial Opera House, Rannazzisi showed how they not only offer lots of information about legal and illegal drugs, but also a forum where visitors can pose their own questions.

"That's where kids are getting information," he said.

Rannazzisi spoke as part a daylong naloxone training and distribution seminar. The information was geared toward professionals during the morning hours and to parents at night.

Rannazzisi said he is fan of naloxone, a drug that reverses an opioid overdose. He disagrees with the argument that those who do drugs get what is coming to them.

"There's no one in here who's perfect," he said.

The naloxone training and distribution was provided by Overdose Lifeline, an Indianapolis-based nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing opioid deaths and reducing the stigma of addiction.

Rannazzisi said the current heroin-use epidemic can be traced back to this country's long love of prescription drugs.

He said 70 percent to 80 percent of heroin users started out with prescription drugs. A typical pattern is that a young person is given a prescription drug for a legitimate use and winds up abusing it and purchasing more illegally on the streets. As the need for stronger drugs arise and the prices go up on the streets, the young person finds it cheaper to just buy heroin.

"When you go to heroin, you're desperate," Rannazzisi said.

"If we don't take care of prescription drugs, we will always have a heroin problem," he said.

The country's prescription drug problem dates back to the 1860s when heroin, cocaine and laudin appeared in various products.

The dolls referred to in the 1967 film "Valley of the Dolls" are pills, Rannazzisi said.

"Even Hollywood knew we had a problem," he said.

Quaaludes and Valium then became popular, followed by other drugs, such as oxycodone.

"We've always had a prescription drug problem," Rannazzisi said. "We're just now addressing it."

The problem is further complicated by drugs that are chemically altered enough to fall just outside the legal descriptions, he said. Unfortunately, they are often even more dangerous than the legal versions, Rannazzisi said.

The solution is a combination of responses, including stopping the drugs at the source by investigating criminal activity and stopping the indiscriminate prescribing of drugs, he said. There is also need for more treatment programs.

http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_359abf83-9483-5112-953c-30b2c08b8921.html

Rannazzisi said the current heroin-use epidemic can be traced back to this country's long love of prescription drugs.

He said 70 percent to 80 percent of heroin users started out with prescription drugs. A typical pattern is that a young person is given a prescription drug for a legitimate use and winds up abusing it and purchasing more illegally on the streets. As the need for stronger drugs arise and the prices go up on the streets, the young person finds it cheaper to just buy heroin.

[/url]

I get so sick of hearing that shit it makes me so angry because all it does is blame people in pain for heroin use among 20 somethings

afghanistan has a huge heroin problem and NEVER has scripted drugs. Cops can blame their failure all they want on the medical community. But they have failed to prevent heroin from entering the US.....thats the cause of the heroin problem

correlation does not equal causation, but i wouldn't expect a cop to understand something such as statistics...too abstract of thinking.

Heroin problems stem from 1 thing only...the availability and price of heroin in the region.

A cops speech on drugs geared towards parents....yea I'm sure thats just full of useful factual information about drugs

He disagrees with the argument that those who do drugs get what is coming to them.
What "argument" is that?
"If you take illegal drugs you deserve to die"?

Jesus.

there is a a heavy bias against drug users as opposed to all other criminals. mostly propagated by the christian's that are just jealous of people that actually get the feel good in life since their religion forbids anything that makes you feel good, you have to hate people that get to feel good.

the only way they have found to allow themselves to feel good is cheating on wives and sexually harrassing young women desperate for career opportunities.

But robbery, rape, assault....all of these crimes are more acceptable to the general public than drug use, there is just this gut reaction of disgust towards the word drugs.

Here's where kids are learning about drugs online.

I'm intrigued to know whether or not he considers bluelight in a positive manner.

It clearly says more about society than bluelight that people have to come here or go to erowid for actual credible drug information.

This is a great thread. Well said spacejunk. It's amazing how well geared our drug policies are when it comes to killing the people they supposedly serve and protect.

I'm intrigued to know whether or not he considers bluelight in a positive manner.

It clearly says more about society than bluelight that people have to come here or go to erowid for actual credible drug information.

I don't think he does and that would not surprise me coming from his perspective (a warrior in the War on Drugs). I have empathy for parents and other people that do not understand either Erowid or Bluelight because I was one of those people before taking a 180 turn. When you are a terrified parent or a person frustrated by the ever increasing number of people with serious addictions in your community it can be particularly hard to see through the glorification in people's anecdotes (on both sites) to the broad spectrum of harm reduction that I truly believe we offer, part of which is creating a non-judgmental space for those anecdotes.

I have to admit that I worry a lot about our presentation in the American media. I'm proud of what we do but we are very vulnerable to some extremely bad press. With Jeff sessions back in Washington the future of common sense regarding drug use, recovery services and research and the decriminalization of drug use does not look bright.:(

Your right about Jeff sessions but it's only a 4 year setback. On the whOle the wind is blowing towards harm reduction and decriminalization.

Damn right. If it's a crime to keep some dumb ass kid from overdosing because he's getting a bit too experimental, or a desperate mom in chronic pain from sticking too many fentanyl patches on, or keep a guy who's abusing drugs to shirk the emotional slavery of his mental health from getting liver cirrhosis, crippling his time to recover and his ability fix his mistakes,

then I must have an insanely corrupted, false sense of justice.

I can't tell if what he means by this is "These are the people keeping your dumb kids safe", or "These are the people who make your kids the victims of information".

Though I hope it was to paint the community in a good light~

it should always be blue, regardless. :\

It's a bit sad the article doesn't mention too much of Bluelight and/or harm reduction. I'm curious as to why he alerted substance abuse counselors
and emergency first responders to the community.

Last edited:
"The kids" are always the excuse...
Maybe if we focused a little energy on educating adults, kids would have better sources for information as opposed to having to look towards the intenet(which has its share of misinformation) for guidance.
Bluelight is a powerful tool and an amazing asset that undoubtedly has passed along more helpful, factual data than the DEA ever has.

Here's where kids are learning about drugs online
Bob Kasarda
May 2017

VALPARAISO — Retired Drug Enforcement Administration agent Joseph Rannazzisi urged a group of substance abuse counselors and emergency first responders earlier this week to visit erowid.org and bluelight.org.

Calling up both websites on a large screen at the Porter County Memorial Opera House, Rannazzisi showed how they not only offer lots of information about legal and illegal drugs, but also a forum where visitors can pose their own questions.

"That's where kids are getting information," he said.

Rannazzisi spoke as part a daylong naloxone training and distribution seminar. The information was geared toward professionals during the morning hours and to parents at night.

Rannazzisi said he is fan of naloxone, a drug that reverses an opioid overdose. He disagrees with the argument that those who do drugs get what is coming to them.

"There's no one in here who's perfect," he said.

The naloxone training and distribution was provided by Overdose Lifeline, an Indianapolis-based nonprofit organization dedicated to preventing opioid deaths and reducing the stigma of addiction.

"When you go to heroin, you're desperate," Rannazzisi said.

"If we don't take care of prescription drugs, we will always have a heroin problem," he said.

The country's prescription drug problem dates back to the 1860s when heroin, cocaine and laudin appeared in various products.

The dolls referred to in the 1967 film "Valley of the Dolls" are pills, Rannazzisi said.

"Even Hollywood knew we had a problem," he said.

Quaaludes and Valium then became popular, followed by other drugs, such as oxycodone.

"We've always had a prescription drug problem," Rannazzisi said. "We're just now addressing it."

The problem is further complicated by drugs that are chemically altered enough to fall just outside the legal descriptions, he said. Unfortunately, they are often even more dangerous than the legal versions, Rannazzisi said.

Cont http://www.nwitimes.com/news/local/...cle_359abf83-9483-5112-953c-30b2c08b8921.html

Oooooo bl and erowid you're in troublllllllle lol

So I guess they would rather have their kids get dangerous mis info since they are prob going to use drugs anyways then?

Let them believe it's safe to mix benzos and opis or let ppl give them shit they have never tried before...think about the people that have ised bl to check about the dose of something. Yeah my boy does 40mg of oxy to get fucked up, I don't do oxy but if he can take that much I'm sure I can too..

Oh but what about the children!? ;)

I like how the article says essentially NOTHING about Erowid or BL, other than that we're obviously telling their kids how to do drugs. But seriously, who else is gonna teach them how to use drugs without endagnering their lives? I don't see any public health agencies doing so, no private treatment providers, sooooooooooooo... my question is, do you want your kids dead and not using drugs or alive and using drugs without risking their life?

Hmmm this was posted the other month and there seemed to be a similar consensus that he was sort of mentioning BL as a slur, but I'm not really seeing that.

What I'm seeing here is a retired DEA agent who knows the way the system works, and he's a bit jaded and wants change. He seems to be somewhat sympathetic to drug users and wants to address the prescription opiate issue, as well as the issue which is that drug users themselves are still the only real reliable way to get centralised drug/harm reduction information in 2017.

I'm guessing the guessing they promote children learning about fent od and nbome from first hand trial error

Hmmm this was posted the other month and there seemed to be a similar consensus that he was sort of mentioning BL as a slur, but I'm not really seeing that.

What I'm seeing here is a retired DEA agent who knows the way the system works, and he's a bit jaded and wants change. He seems to be somewhat sympathetic to drug users and wants to address the prescription opiate issue, as well as the issue which is that drug users themselves are still the only real reliable way to get centralised drug/harm reduction information in 2017.

To me being a place for anyone to learn about drug use is a compliment if anything, but sadly I know this also makes many people very uncomfortable (especially when minors are involved). From my experience in harm reduction however, being as accessible to vulnerable or at risk populations is one of the most crucial elements. That's really the whole point, of any public health approach to drug use I mean. I've had the fortune too see how this stuff saves adolescents' lives, from OD, avoiding dangerous drug use and mental health struggles.

In a way, I'm just happy we got some not explicitly unfavorable press. Unfavorable press seems to have been an exception to the rule for some time now. I remember hearing an expert on opioid use disorder treatment testifying in front of the US congress committee on the whole opioid issue last year or the year before about how helpful this organization in particular is. That kind of shout out definitely made me smile :)

But I think your intuition on the DEA agents motives are spot on. The frustration really is palpable. Yet, with the case of there not being an effective government or healthcare rectory for the kind of resources places like Erowid and BL provide, there is some irony here.

A significant reason for that has been a consistant effort from the DEA itself at misinforming the general public about drug use related issues (such as promoting whatever research jives with their particular prohibitionist political ends even when there is more plausible evidence suggesting otherwise). He's got his own prior organization and other similar government policies to thank for that one. Frustrating.

Something that concerns me more is why I can't bring myself to stop ranting about this :\ ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
For people that are prone to tabloid sensationalism it will attract their attention and ignorant acknowldegement but should the more educated person dig and read they will easily identify its tacky sensationalism and both bluelight and erowid are educating and informative avenues that help reduce harm. I am very much in thanking to both them to what I have found out and researched. I am much appreciative of the educated and intelleginstia component of bluelight. From my experience I can report the most positive of viewing with what I consider an in depth deeply factual background that caters for harm reduction and most important harm reduction.

This is aimed at instead people with young families and that and so this topic will tabo those people who use drugs as junkie deviant morally dubious reckless addicts. Like most things it is simply not black and white material but grey.

Call for a public rational drug reform and discussion leading to de-criminalistion and regulation by the state so raising capital for public institutions, reducing unnecessary deaths from war on drugs, adequately treating addicts and making them functioning members of society and reducing organised crime profits and influence in society. As a result of such actions thus having a more conscious pro active community in the welfare of healthcare, education and how a country is governed. Involve the masses in how a country is governed. Reducing ineffectual government bureaucracy but solidyfing state institutions that cater for all and are for the public good.

A public service and not a profit driven agenda. The state needs to take an active role simply cause it creates the law and can allow for any legislation that can soften the harsh reality that is the war on drugs. Rationl logic seems to be ignored and rejected by the most advanced of institutions, why ?? 21ST century like.