• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

How do you deal with the guilt over what you did in addiction?

JessFR

Bluelight Crew
I'm not doin well. I've done so much bad shit in my heroin addiction, I've hurt the person I care about more than I've ever loved anyone. It's so bad I can't even say it. I can't take it back, I can't fix it, I can't ever make it right. This is my the person I consider my soul mate. He's the kindest most honest person I've ever known, the first and only person I've been in love with. And being with me destroyed his life. I just want to hurry up and finish self destructing and just die already. It's where my lifes heading anyway. I can barely take the guilt on heroin. I can't see myself ever living with it clean.

I know there are a lot of other heroin addicts who like me have caused tremendous harm to our loved ones. How do you ever find a way to cope with it though when you don't feel you deserve it. As much as ive hurt myself, as much as I hate myself, I don't feel like I've hurt nearly enough to make up for my crimes. I don't feel like I can do this, I don't feel like I'm gonna survive this. I don't think I want too. I'm not suicidal, I just want it over. I feel like I've gone too far to come back now. All that awaits me now is death, or jail then death. I'm too damaged to survive. Thats how I feel. And if I do survive, all that awaits then is the pain and guilt of what I've done. Among countless other emotional problems I had before my addiction.

You can't change the past obviously. However you have to realize that your brain was hijacked by a chemical that changed your behavior. Once you quit and get substatial time living life in a normal way you will start to feel that the person who did that wasn't you. You will realize that you deserve forgiveness because you have forgiven. I know personally I held myself to a higher set of morals then I held other people. I would forgive people for the same things I wouldn't forgive myself for.

Besides what does this guilt acconplish? Nothing. It just drags you back into that same self destrucrime model of thinking that got you into the mess.

Overall the rest of your life is an untold story and it will be whatever you make of it. So you had some problems. If you fix your behavior people will forgive and this time in your life will just be a speed bump not a brickwall.

But if you let your brain think and act you into the grave then this is exactly what people will remember you for. The choice to change is one we can make any day.

I promise I have done shot just as bad if not worse then you. Give yourself some empathy.

from your post you mentioned how you can't deal with the guilt while STILL using dope... so you are still under the influence therefore your judgement is still fucked/ clouded. Once you get off of D and you have some time away from it you will be able to look at all the shit you did in the bad times with a clear head and you will realize that you can't have any guilt anymore because you were not responsible for the things you did because heroin was our life... I get it... and other addicts get it too, but non addicts will not understand

but what I'm trying to get at here is once you have significant time away from the lifestyle and one your body is healed you can look back at all this shit as if you are looking at another persons life. Im not free from addiction whatsoever.. I'm still a slave, however four years ago I got on a high dose of suboxone and am still on it today, best decision I ever made hands down.

your thought process will change, your guilt will fade away (not all of it but most of it). you must realize when we are deep in addiction we don't have free will, all thoughts are ruled by one and one thing only... getting well. Anything that gets in the way of getting well is just pushed aside, its just how it is.

don't be so hard on yourself. like i said, once you get over to the other side you will understand... is suboxone or methadone an option for you? I would look into it. At first it didn't work for me ill admit, but 4 years later I couldn't be happier. Give it another chance before you say maintenance just doesn't work for you.

Step work can work well with this. Be gentle with yourself. Find a way to forgive yourself.

Realize that guilt and shame are some of the most powerful weapons in addictions armory. It uses it to try and drive you to use and this will lead to you doing things that make you guilty and shameful. Don't fall for it.. If you substitute hitting yourself in the head with a hammer it can help us wrap our addicted minds around this..

I can't deal with the guilt from all the stuff i did.. I just want to use and make it go away. >

I can't deal with all the guilt from what i did due to hitting myself in the head with a hammer and its making me want to hit myself in the head with a hammer which will cause me to do more things that make me feel guilty which will make me want to hit myself in the head with a hammer even more.

You need to find a way to heal from the emotional scars caused by your addiction. Steps or a professional addiction councilor are a good place to start. In the mean time remember that your a good person who was wrapped up by addiction and this caused you to do things that were clearly not in line with your true morals. Guilt is good as it means your a good person. Remember not to hold yourself to the standers of a God.. your just a good human like the rest of us who was wrapped up by an addiction that caused you to behave in ways you never would have.

Be gentle with yourself and find a way to forgive yourself and heal.

When the time is right for both you and the people you hurt, apologize or make things right if you are able.

You can't change the past obviously. However you have to realize that your brain was hijacked by a chemical that changed your behavior. Once you quit and get substatial time living life in a normal way you will start to feel that the person who did that wasn't you. You will realize that you deserve forgiveness because you have forgiven. I know personally I held myself to a higher set of morals then I held other people. I would forgive people for the same things I wouldn't forgive myself for.

Besides what does this guilt acconplish? Nothing. It just drags you back into that same self destrucrime model of thinking that got you into the mess.

Overall the rest of your life is an untold story and it will be whatever you make of it. So you had some problems. If you fix your behavior people will forgive and this time in your life will just be a speed bump not a brickwall.

But if you let your brain think and act you into the grave then this is exactly what people will remember you for. The choice to change is one we can make any day.

I promise I have done shot just as bad if not worse then you. Give yourself some empathy.

Jess, this is a powerful post. If I could, I would make a copy of these wise words and pass them out to anyone who has ever been drowning in guilt. When you say that you cannot take back the past, you are correct, but as far as never being able to make it right that is just not true. My son and I traded a lot of hurt during his addiction. What made all the difference is that we were able to continually reset to the strong love underneath our mistakes. Forgiving yourself is one of the hardest but most rewarding things you will ever learn. Forgiving does not mean dismissing the pain you caused, or minimizing it in any way; it is simply admitting you are human and you made very human mistakes which hurt another person. You cannot expect forgiveness from someone else if you cannot grant it to yourself. Forgiveness means that you see something with a nuanced appreciation rather than simply the black/white thinking that says you did something bad therefore you must be bad.

The fact that you are so heartbroken over your own mistakes means that you have your values intact. Give yourself credit. You were not dealt a fair hand in this life (I know from other posts) and I imagine your soulmate was not either. That means that he probably can understand more than you think. Give him time and keep reassuring him of both your love and your remorse but do not fall into the trap of hating yourself.<3

^ the above post, as wel as the one quoted in it, are indeed powerful af. wise words that hopefully reach all who need it, fr. peace and blessings.

I don't identify with it anymore. If you had a brain slug that made you do stupid shit would you feel bad about what you did while it was in? Probably, but it wouldn't make sense! Addiction is a brain malfunction. It changes our behaviour and who we are. The way I cope with it is by getting clean. Cuz then u are not that person anymore!! Why self destruct when you can just change? Sure its hard, sure its probably not going to happen the first try, but every little bit counts. I've grown wiser and wiser with every attempt at getting my shit together. I know I'm more than addiction and nothing is going to fucking stop me lol. I want to see life as it is without drugs and make it beautiful. Thats how I cope with the horrible shit I have done. (hint there is a lot of it lol) :)

I don't identify with it anymore. If you had a brain slug that made you do stupid shit would you feel bad about what you did while it was in? Probably, but it wouldn't make sense! Addiction is a brain malfunction. It changes our behaviour and who we are. The way I cope with it is by getting clean. Cuz then u are not that person anymore!!

I'm an addict myself, and I somewhat agree with this, but mostly not. You can't completely absolve yourself of all wrongdoing simply because you were in the midst of addiction. You're just avoiding responsibility at that point. Yes, drugs/addiction can lead to doing crazy things but you still made the choice. Nowadays when I do go back to active use I do not do the crazy shit I used to and that is because of maturity. And to say because you got clean you are not that person anymore, no you may not be that personality in the moment anymore, but you that was still you. That is still a part of you, you can't pretend it was a different life or something lol.

^ Were talking about guilt not responsibility. I'm 100 percent responsible for my actions in the past. However I am going to absolve myself of guilt! If that were not the case, I would still feel guilty about all the stupid shit I did when I was 16-20. WHats the point in that? Sure it was a part of me, we could say it is a part of me, but I was a complete and utter moron at that age and no that is not who I am now. It was a different life. I was a different person. That doesn't mean I don't have to pick up the pieces or work through the trauma or make amends.

^ Were talking about guilt not responsibility. I'm 100 percent responsible for my actions in the past. However I am going to absolve myself of guilt! If that were not the case, I would still feel guilty about all the stupid shit I did when I was 16-20. WHats the point in that? Sure it was a part of me, we could say it is a part of me, but I was a complete and utter moron at that age and no that is not who I am now. It was a different life. I was a different person. That doesn't mean I don't have to pick up the pieces or work through the trauma or make amends.

I'm not saying it's good to hang on to guilt, but you equating it to the brain slug thing seemed quite a bit like trying to absolve yourself of all blame because of the "brain malfunction" as you called it.

I mean if were talking about blame, I could blame a lot of people. myself included. Whats so useful about blame anyway?

I just bury it with more drugs.

AHhh yes, the vicious cycle, so much easier to deal with past indiscretions and life in general with some chemical help. I've been trying to make 60 days sober and clean which I've never done since I started at 15(27 now) and I find I can make it two weeks at most, usually less. Sobriety is just too fucking boring for my a.d.d. ass. Also, like you said, it's much easier to bury painful memories and current shortcomings in life with the chemicals. Sometimes I think it would just be so much easier to say fuck it and go out in blaze of glory but I have a daughter and some family around so I couldn't put that on them.

What's the point in feeling guilty? Its useless if it is compelling you to take more drugs and thus make more decisions you will regret. Punishing yourself is pointless, it doesn't change what's happened. Nothing does, the only thing you can change is the future. Rather than saying you want this to be over, why not do the really ultra hard thing, get clean and face the past in the knowledge that the thing that drove you to do bad shit is there too. Whilst I think we are responsible for our behaviour, no-one who hasn't been an addict will understand the extreme duress addiction places you under. You make the choice either way but trying to choose pain over not-pain is one of the most difficult things a human can do. Yet, it is the only option because being an addict only causes pain, now and in the future.

Not trying to preach about sobriety, I've only very recently regained mine after a several month long opiate relapse and its tenuous as fuck. But, as a cure for guilt that doesn't involve time travel, removing the stimulus that compelled you to do these things can work, because you can tell yourself you won't make the same mistakes again and even have a chance of meaning it. If you keep taking drugs, you can never remove the guilt. At least, that is how I feel.

Face your pain and guilt, and use your mighty intelligence and reason to learn from it.

The part I think I find hardest, probably because of my abuse and depression history. Is feeling like I should keep feeling guilty and hurting for it simply because it's what I deserve. That I don't deserve peace after what I did. And that forgiving myself is the same as not taking responsibility and accepting the rightful punishment for my crimes. I know it's not constructive, but it doesn't feel right forgiving myself. Like apart from not deserving it, it also isn't my place to forgive my own crime. That I have no right to forgive myself until at least my victim does. And while he may love me, I know he hasn't forgiven me. Nor do I feel he should. And he's not an addict and will never truly understand what I'm going through.

What sort of things are you talking about?
After years of crack and heroin addiction I've got my fair share of ghosts.
I've physically hurt people and emotionally hurt people. Self Forgiveness is not easy, I'd forgive someone easier than I'd forgive myself but you can learn to forgive yourself it just takes time.
I benn clean a long time now and I'm different person, I judge myself on my current actions and not the old me.

If you want a list of some of the shitty and violent things I've done I'd tell you but only in pm as it's not good and I don't want be judged.

I judge myself on my current actions and not the old me.

That's the way to go, well said.

Making your life worse doesn't make up for anything. There's no punishment in the universe, it doesn't work like that. You get to choose.

Jess I tried to reply to your message a few times but saying you can't receive messages till you clear some space.

I know there are a lot of other heroin addicts who like me have caused tremendous harm to our loved ones. How do you ever find a way to cope with it though when you don't feel you deserve it. As much as ive hurt myself, as much as I hate myself, I don't feel like I've hurt nearly enough to make up for my crimes. I don't feel like I can do this, I don't feel like I'm gonna survive this. I don't think I want too. I'm not suicidal, I just want it over. I feel like I've gone too far to come back now. All that awaits me now is death, or jail then death. I'm too damaged to survive. Thats how I feel. And if I do survive, all that awaits then is the pain and guilt of what I've done. Among countless other emotional problems I had before my addiction.

I'm sorry to hear you have been struggling Jess. You're a really valuable person, with so much to offer the world, it's a shame (pun not intended) that you are devoting so much of your time and energy to feeling guilty and beating yourself up about it (I'm not saying this is "bad," just that it isn't exactly super productive if you're interested in engaging in healthier, more fulfilling, skillful or wise ways of living). Anyways, on to my $0.02...

Cultivating a more aware, mindful relationship inclusive to as much as possible in the diversity of my experiences has been the most helpful way I have addressed deep, pervasive feelings of existential guilt and shame related to things I've done.

Ultimately I have the pretty firm belief that all action and intention flows from a place of need and desire to experience peace, love and connection. You might feel or think you don't deserve to experience such things, but this doesn't mean you are any less deserving than anyone else. In fact, it's is in our nature as humans to seek out connection and love - we are social animals after all. Without one another we'd each die.

I have trained myself to accomplish this through cultivating awareness of the dynamics of perception: how I experience individual sensations, emotions and thoughts, as well as an awareness of the interrelated connections shared between the perception of sensation, emotion and thought (thought as in mental auditory and visual images/representations; an "idea" would be more auditory whereas "playing back a memory" would be more visual).

It's really a practice of exploring some very charged desires and revulsions (such as states of craving, aversion, and fantasy), with a clearer understanding of their operation learning how to come out of autopilot and "let go" of the pleasant and unpleasant sensations that seduce us. Basically I'm conditioning myself to surf urges and impulsive, not to simply fly on autopilot through my life according to labels like good or bad, right or wrong. It's a process characterized most perhaps by learning to get good at letting go.

Something I've noticed rather recently has been the impact of gaining an awareness of how others hear me. The experience of feeling heard is so incredibly profound, particularly when is dealing with profound shame and existential guilt. The experience of being heard of course requires interaction with folks who are capable of hearing you, tapping into what is meaningful to you - what you are really interested in and all about. It requires mindful listening, tolerance, understanding, compassion and patience (these qualities come naturally more to some than others, but more people have to work to cultivate them for them to be meaningful).

Once you find people who are capable of hearing you, the results are profound. Feeling heard and acknowledged in this kind of way is a huge catalyst when it comes to the motivation that can be required to address unwholesome or unhealthy habits, such as overwhelming feelings of guilt or shame. In my experience it is THE catalyst for developing more personal agency and freedom.

The more we attach to feelings the more they significant part of how we think of ourselves, the kind of person we see ourselves as (even though the ultimate reality of who we are couldn't be further from that kind of malaise and self-loathing). I'm not suggesting anyone would be better off ignore their feelings or emotions, whether they are easy or difficult to experience, and especially not emotions like like guilt or shame. A deep exploration of our relationship to difficult emotions can enhance how we see and act on the world, and provides the kind of richness not so obvious when it comes to exploring more pleasant experiences like joy.

Developing a robust self-compassion practice has also done a hell of a lot for me. While it is important to understand the dynamics involve in our present moment experience through exercises designed to increase concentration, it is just as important to devote time to cultivating particular healthy, more wholesome mind states (after all, certainly for the majority, self-hatred does not seem to be a particular practical or healthy mind state). These would be mind states where you can see yourself in more of the totality of who you are, as opposed to cultivating a kind of tunnel vision that narrows and limits conscious perception of experience to only those experiences that are pleasurable or difficult (which limits our decision making ability). Seeing myself as the multidimensional individual that I am, with areas both to improve and become healthier and of strength and capacity, is what I mean.

Practicing to cultivate deeper ways of seeing and interacting with the world has actually made it very difficult for me to engage difficult feelings like shame and guilt that continue to arise in the same kinds of unskillful ways getting stuck in them has caused in the past. By engaging in the kinds of practice required to see myself and my world more clearly, it has become very difficult for me to identify too strongly with shame and guilt. As I engage more in ethical, virtuous behaviors and a more wholesome, compassionate relationship with my sense of self, I have less inclination to believe the afflictive voices in my head telling me I am less than, not good enough, a failure of a human being, etc. etc.

Yes, I'm done things that cause me to feel ashamed and guilty sometimes, but these things do not define the totally of who I am or the totality of my experience. Through gaining an awareness of how my actions have caused me as well as other to suffer, instead of feeling driven to ruminate on guilt, shame or the past I find that really what happens is that it become much more distasteful to continue to engage in immoral or unethical behavior. After all, the very behavior that leads to the experience of shame and feelings of guilt.

So with awareness of how I have unskillfully in the past, how I have harmed myself and others, makes engaging in such behavior moving forward is both more distasteful and less productive. Once one begins to gain a deep awareness of something in the particular way I've been describing, not engaging in the kinds of personal change and transformation that make such behaviors that lead to more guilt and shame so unappealing that we simply stop engaging in them in favor of engaging in more skillful, healthier and more wholesome choices and activities.

We're so much more than what we do - both the good and the bad. What we want to do, however, is entirely up to us.

Last edited by a moderator: