Study: Astragalus for more Leydig cells (and thus more testosterone)

Genetic Freak

Moderator: SIED
Staff member
Interesting study I found on Ergo-log:

Astragalus for more Leydig cells (and therefore also more testosterone)

astragalusmembranaceusgravure.jpg

The Leydig cells in the testes produce the testosterone that circulates in the human body. According to many studies - and of course the supplements industry - all sorts of extracts can stimulate that production process. Researchers at Shanxi Agricultural University in China discovered that an extract of Astragalus membranaceus does this too - and has an added effect. According to the Chinese, Astragalus membranaceus also increases the number of Leydig cells.

Study
The researchers exposed rats' Leydig cells in test tubes to an extract of Astragalus membranaceus.

astragalusmembranaceusastragalustestosterone2.gif

astragalusmembranaceusastragalustestosterone3.gif

Results
As a result of being exposed to Astragalus membranaceus, the Leydig cells produced more testosterone. At least they did so at a concentration of 20-100 microgram per millilitre.

Over and above a concentration of 100 microgram per millilitre, Astragalus membranaceus increased the number of Leydig cells. We, the ignorant compilers of this free webzine, find this effect the most interesting.

How exactly Astragalus membranaceus increases the production of testosterone, and the number of testosterone-producing Leydig cells, is shown below. The extract boosts the activity of antioxidant enzymes and reduces the activity of suicide genes.

astragalusmembranaceusastragalustestosterone.gif

astragalusmembranaceusastragalustestosterone4.gif

Conclusion
"In the present study, we investigated the influence of Astragalus membranaceus injection on cell numbers and testosterone production of rat Leydig cells cultured in vitro," the researchers concluded. "The results suggested that Astragalus membranaceus injection has a favorable effect on the function of Leydig cells."

"The study provides a foundation for future studies to understand the mechanisms responsible for stimulatory effects of Astragalus membranaceus injection on Leydig cells and whether Astragalus membranaceus treatment in vivo can enhance indices of male fertility."

Source:
https://bmccomplementalternmed.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12906-015-0776-3

I had a look for some in vivo studies but alas, I guess there wasn't the money. Still, it could certainly have the potential to be another adaptogen candidate for incorporation into our testes antioxidant arsenal.

I had a look for some in vivo studies but alas, I guess there wasn't the money. Still, it could certainly have the potential to be another adaptogen candidate for incorporation into our testes antioxidant arsenal.

I wonder what difference if any it could make to someone of my age and hormonal use.?

The proposed mechanism is anti-apoptotic via reducing suicide gene activity and as an antioxidant. They don't know whether one is causative of the other. It could be that the antioxidant activity reduces suicide gene activity (as it does with other compounds). Which then essentially means its just another antioxidant.

Assuming it works on humans in the same way, and also does so in vivo, the ultimate implication is that - assuming you're already using some kind of antioxidant or taurine on cycle - it's effect isn't likely to do anything additive. But as always, this is just speculation, you could always try and see how you feel.