Does having a criminal record for drugs screw up your life?

private20

Greenlighter
In 2015 I got caught with drugs and ended up losing my job and doing a few months in prison (England) for it. Since then I've been trying to get things sorted out but it just seems hard. I was in the Army and thought of a security job but couldn't get a license for that because of my record. I've been doing casual labouring but that's all. I got arrested again twice once just for drunk and disorderly and once for assault and I'm having to do Community Payback for that.

My mate is in Australia and said I should try it out there for a year and have a fresh start when I am finished my Community Payback. I have to apply for a visa and you can still apply as long as you haven't a "substantial criminal record" which I don't but still think I'll have a hard time getting a visa because of my record.

It just seems crazy after being punished for what I did it makes life much harder and people dont want to give you a chance

I don't think the drugs will so much, but the assault may.

If hiring someone, most can look past a drug arrest, but assault is an issue.

Try to clean your record if possible. Do you have convictions? Any way to seal or expunge?

Depends in the US. Even booze misdemeanors can really make life tough, depending on what you want to do with it. More and more of the job apps I've done ask for records including misdemeanors back seven years, and fucking infractions over $200, which is all of them, depending where you live.

The problem with drugs beyond pot, is they're often felonies, even simple possession, treated way worse than simple assault. That can really deep-six any good career start, and a lot of good jobs. You're stuck getting a guy who knows you and runs his own tiny business to take pity, and hope you have skills he needs.

Student loans subsidized by the government say they'll deny you specifically for drug crimes, including weed. Nothing else. My favorite, for a democracy: felons (in most areas) lose their right to vote.

I'm sure there's good horror stories about it all. Perspective: hey, I hear in China they'll march you into a stadium and shoot you. Could always be worse.

Yes. It will fuck up your life pretty bad. They ask that on every single employment application and you can't lie because they do criminal background check

Or at least they say they do, and you have to pay for fingerprints. Then they hire you only to fire you several months later when they get the results, right after you move.

It will in the US. But I hear workers get more protection in England. No matter what don't let it bring you down. You haven't done c anything to be ashamed over. Keep looking and you will find somewhere to hire you. I also bet Austrailia will still let you in.

You haven't done anything to be ashamed over.
Well, except maybe the assault thing . . .
And the stuff you didn't get caught doing . . .

I'm teasing. I don't think moving to another country helps, unless you have visa-worthy skills, since the new country probably checks that whole criminal-record thing, and has fewer protections for res. aliens. Best to just wait for them to fade, stay away from shit, look into expungement.

Yes. It will fuck up your life pretty bad. They ask that on every single employment application and you can't lie because they do criminal background check

That's what has happened me this year. I got told when I disclosed it and then another time I didn't and a few weeks later I got told that they had found out about my record and because I lied I wouldn't get the job.

It will in the US. But I hear workers get more protection in England. No matter what don't let it bring you down. You haven't done c anything to be ashamed over. Keep looking and you will find somewhere to hire you. I also bet Austrailia will still let you in.

There is a Rehabilitation of Offenders Act where after a set period you don't have to declare convictions if you are applying for some jobs but that doesn't apply to me yet and I think it is stricter for a security type job that I was going for.

Well, except maybe the assault thing . . .
And the stuff you didn't get caught doing . . .

I'm teasing. I don't think moving to another country helps, unless you have visa-worthy skills, since the new country probably checks that whole criminal-record thing, and has fewer protections for res. aliens. Best to just wait for them to fade, stay away from shit, look into expungement.

It said for Australia that if you served 12 months or more that they will turn you down. But I only got 2 months jail and the community payback so should be OK. I am looking at a construction job because I don't have any great skills but have done labouring so would like to give it a try over there for a while. I have mates over there too. I had to give details of my criminal record for the application so will have to see what they say about it especially with it being over getting caught bringing drugs into a prison.

Hmm. I always thought work visas were way more complicated than that. But then I mostly heard foreign grad students complaining about it.
But with the US I think you get the job, then the visa, typically (lose the job, lose the visa quick). If you get an entry visa, you can't work (current first lady exempt by whiteness).
It's so political lately you'd need to ask a lawyer to know for sure.

But, yeah, go to Oz just to go. If you can work a little under the table for a while, do that too. But, for the fun part, cause you could be a day laborer where you are now, and not have to hide it from anyone.

Man, I wrote a reply with TWO near-death stories; which is kind of fucked, but then so am I right now. Might make a morbid fun thread, some day?

I just meant, I bet a person's whole life can be defined by a few split-second experiences, not that one should define lives that way. I try to imagine the guys who get six years for homicide when someone dies during their DUI, whether their fault or not. They have a lot of time to reflect, probably got their licenses back sooner than I did.