Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

To many prescription drugs.. in my fridge

Godstone30

Greenlighter
Hi all,

Im just wondering the approach everyone would take to the temptation of using prescription drugs in your fridge, when you really don't want a problem, as you have an alcohol problem with mood issues anyway. Hence all the prescribed drugs in your fridge. One, to help this issue and one to help with symptoms of that. If they weren't prescribed drugs it would be classed as "self medicating"

Looking at my fridge at the moment, I have more pills then food..... I have

1 bottle of bourbon (only thing that lets me sit still)
2 x packet pf Xanax (panic attacks, very occasionally) - this works the best for me of all things.
3 x container of dexamphetamine (Adderall for ADHD) (makes me calm and focused)
4x bottles of Valium- makes me want to hit people ;p
2 xpackets of temazapam to help me sleep when starting on dex. meh not much going on there. Took it instead of dex once as accidentally put it in my pill box. Felt very relaxed at work, but not sleepy.
2 x Lovan (prozac)
7 Something called Oxycoton that my husband took for a illness called Trigeminal Neuralgia, until he had an Op (didn't know this was strong until I realised he couldn't talk properly on it, so it has gone to the back of meds cupboard). I keep them all high up in my fridge as worried about having them.
8. Testosterone cream (no testosterone levels) this actually got rid of my anxiety, but made me very assertive and clear minded
9 lemotrigine
10 Phenibut ( no prescription needed but brings on mania in me)

A few others that aren't addictive. A lot of them I don't touch as they make me want to wack someone (valium) but I can't bring myself to chuck them out!!!

My real thought/question is why are they so easily handed out by Drs? I never thought I would have all these things in my fridge at once. My friend who is a pharmacist and dispensed methadone said most of her clients were elderly people addicted to pain killers and sleeping tabs. My other question is why is alcohol still legal as it is SOOOO more of a buzz then any of these, or is that just me and are we all different with what effects us?
thanks for thoughts and advice. If you have an addictive type nature how would you handle this situation

Which one were you prescribed for alcoholism as as far as I know none of those help with that.

All the others are explainable for different conditions and the oxy isnt yours so dont worry about that.

You should see your doc regularly to adjust your meds and also get into behavioral therapy. Taking pills doesnt fix anything by itself.

You should tell your doc that the valium affects you negatively as it usually doesnt make people aggressive.

As for what to do with it if you dont like it sitting there then you can take them back to the pharmacy or flush them if you dont see much use. Pills go off eventually after a few years anyway.

As for alcohol, you bought it and only you know why. Its legal because the majority of drinkers just drink occasionally and its great tax revenue like smokes.

Most addictive drugs are not given out easily much anymore so if you are getting them your doc must think the regimen is working so if it isnt you should tell him or her.

Alcohol dependency can be treated with the same treatment for opiates but under supervision. Mood stabilisers can help.

I hope that helps.

Thanks Zaphyr, I was put on Campral but it did not work for me. The reason I have these pills is Drs think I self medicate with alcohol, which I do. Thanks for your advice. I will take Valium back to pharmacy and temazapam as don't need it. The others I need and the Oxy I will flush as it is fairly old now. I am on lamotragin (mood stabiliser) that has helped a lot. The problem is alcohol is soooooo easy to get and the solutions seem so outdated to me. I have been told to take xanax etc when getting cravings, but that seems to be replacing one addiction with another. Maybe it is less harmful? The Valium, helps at the time but the next day the depression and anger is severe.

Wow,I like how you say the Dr's prescribe so easily, I wish I knew your docs :( Been crying most of the day today, was told on friday that I will be needing another back surgery within 6 month, can't do it as I can't take time off work, I'm in so much pain but my surgeon does not prescribe pain pills and my GP tell me to take panadol :( I don't have an addictive nature, I work full time and need pain pills to keep my job! My old GP used to give me endone and valium to relax my back, now I have nothing and living in a small town, I can't go to another GP as they all know each other... anyway..I hope you don't mix alcohol with any of the pills you have, might not be a good idea :) Take care.

Thanks Zaphyr, I was put on Campral but it did not work for me. The reason I have these pills is Drs think I self medicate with alcohol, which I do. Thanks for your advice. I will take Valium back to pharmacy and temazapam as don't need it. The others I need and the Oxy I will flush as it is fairly old now. I am on lamotragin (mood stabiliser) that has helped a lot. The problem is alcohol is soooooo easy to get and the solutions seem so outdated to me. I have been told to take xanax etc when getting cravings, but that seems to be replacing one addiction with another. Maybe it is less harmful? The Valium, helps at the time but the next day the depression and anger is severe.

Yeah, benzos will be less harmful on your liver and that's about it. Actually, it's probably easier to develop a dependency with benzos than with alcohol what with the ease of popping a pill. I would stay away from all these unless you seriously need something medically. Unless of course you want a worse addiction than the alcohol because once you hop down the rapbbit hole, it can be incredibly difficult to dig your way out.

I havent had alcohol issues but was in a rehab programme with some alcoholics who were being treated with regular counselling suboxone/ bupe to wean them off alcohol gradually. If you have a severe drinking problem and cant trust yourself alone then get checked into a detox place. Its easier with private health insurance but public places are available if you go through a bulk billing gp.

Its not a big deal really but the run around is a pain in the arse so a lot if people give up in frustration

Wow,I like how you say the Dr's prescribe so easily, I wish I knew your docs :( Been crying most of the day today, was told on friday that I will be needing another back surgery within 6 month, can't do it as I can't take time off work, I'm in so much pain but my surgeon does not prescribe pain pills and my GP tell me to take panadol :( I don't have an addictive nature, I work full time and need pain pills to keep my job! My old GP used to give me endone and valium to relax my back, now I have nothing and living in a small town, I can't go to another GP as they all know each other... anyway..I hope you don't mix alcohol with any of the pills you have, might not be a good idea :) Take care.
Ohh poor thing :( I have Rheumatoid arthritis I got it in my 20s and had for about 15 years, quiet severe. Have not had a flare up in a good 6 years so they think it is gone :) During that time I was put on anti-inflams, steroid injections and immune depressants (that worked the best) but never pain killers. What is the cause of your back pain?

Yeah, benzos will be less harmful on your liver and that's about it. Actually, it's probably easier to develop a dependency with benzos than with alcohol what with the ease of popping a pill. I would stay away from all these unless you seriously need something medically. Unless of course you want a worse addiction than the alcohol because once you hop down the rapbbit hole, it can be incredibly difficult to dig your way out.
Yep thats what Im scared of. Will leave them alone I think!