• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Mother stole Subutex while pregnant

Jennlynn06061989

Greenlighter
What do I do I only have 4 left in my bottle and I don't go back until the 30th ..of course if it was anyone else I would have their ass arrested..but it was my mom who took them she feels horrible from it now but its too late it's just a matter of when I run out taking 8mg twice a day and I'm 14 weeks pregnant..last month I noticed I was a couple Short and had a feeling that she took them but I told my Dr I thought someone may have took a few bc I was 2 days short thank God my appointment was two days early and she just went ahead and wrote my script..if I file a police report to show my doctor so they can write another script won't they lock her up or do I say it was someone else..I can't see my mom go to jail but I'm scared to go almost 10 days without anything​.. can someone tell me what to do please I'm scared I'm gonna lose my baby.. anyone been through this before..what to do?
This is first time on this site so sorry unsure how it works

Welcome to BL!

Talk to your prescribing physician about this. Do you get your Subutex from a single physician you see or at a clinic?

If it's a doctor discuss the issue frankly with them (if it's a clinic, unless you have a good relationship with the clinic doctor already, go to the clinic manager first). Tell them clearly what the issue is:

You believe you mother has been taking your medication, you only have so much medication left and you are afraid about how you can resolve the situation. Ask them what they would suggest about the police report, as well as how to handle the situation with your mom (I mean, you do make it sound pretty resolved, but that is just so inappropriate for them to have done that it is just as likely she'll behave in the future as not) during the rest of your treatment.

Generally speaking I'd advise against lying the police about who took it. Lies and police reports don't go to well together. But you need your medication.

Call your doctor and tell them that, although it isn't an emergency, you need to speak to the doctor urgently. They might just go and prescribe you your medication you need until you see them again over the phone (if you have established a good relationship with them this may very well happen). If they don't you should make an appointment to see them ASAP to get this resolved.

How much buprenorphine do you take each day? Make the priority calling your doctor. You'll only be able to safely make your remaining prescription last so long (depending on how much you normally take, this is really just a matter of days). Normally it wouldn't be the end of the world, but given you are pregnant the level of buprenorphine in your system should remain as stabile as possible.

Ordinarily I'd say your shit out of luck far as being believed and getting a new script. But with the baby they won't have much choice but to provide you a new script. I suggest you call your doc than show up with a lock box. Best case sceneries is your mom coming with you and owning up to her stealing.

Last edited:
I had an issue running out of my buprenorphine a couple weeks early back when I was on it once and my doctor was pretty understanding. I had just dropped my dose but was struggling to acclimate to the newer dose and took more than I was prescribed. I was honest with him about it and he basically just said that if it happens again he wouldn't prescribe it to me anymore but that it wasn't the end of the world. All things considered, I had a pretty good experience with my buprenorphine prescriber while I was on it.

Plus given the OPs situation, I feel like there is a pretty good chance everything will work out.

Keeping your meds hidden and/or locked up is a sad thing to have to do but you are going to have to because the trust has already been broken. Do you live with your mom? If your mom is stealing drugs from her pregnant daughter that is a very treacherous world to have to bring your baby into. Do you have any alternatives? Are there any other family members that could be more supportive?

Can you leave it at the chemist and go there to take it instead? At least offer this as a solution.

With the way pharmacies work in the US, assuming that is where the OP is located, then it will probably be fairly challenging to find a pharmacy that would allow this arrangement. With the way insurance here works, it's pretty hard to get a medication prescribed ever other day let alone every day.

It's definitely worth seeing what their doctor things about them picking it up from the pharmacy on a daily or whatever schedule that is shorting than once a month. Certainly, if it's possible, getting the medication on a daily basis (just as if they were getting it from a clinic program) for a while as they get their situation with their mom better figured out sounds like a pretty good idea.

With the way pharmacies work in the US, assuming that is where the OP is located, then it will probably be fairly challenging to find a pharmacy that would allow this arrangement. With the way insurance here works, it's pretty hard to get a medication prescribed ever other day let alone every day.

It's definitely worth seeing what their doctor things about them picking it up from the pharmacy on a daily or whatever schedule that is shorting than once a month. Certainly, if it's possible, getting the medication on a daily basis (just as if they were getting it from a clinic program) for a while as they get their situation with their mom better figured out sounds like a pretty good idea.

It's gonna be challenging to get a new script period. If OP wasn't pregnant I wouldn't like the odds. I have seen sub doctors write 2 week scripts before so a shorter script may be an option. Basically it comes down to how much inconvenience OP and her doctor are willing to go through.

I suggest that honesty is never the wrong call to make.

It's gonna be challenging to get a new script period.

Opiate withdrawal is potentially harmful to the fetus, so likely it won't be that big of an issue.

Best of luck to the OP.