• Psychedelic Drugs Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

What was it like for you when your family found out you trip?

FrankenBoots

Greenlighter
I'm just looking for stories. My mom found out I had tripped from violating my privacy and reading my journal, where I had written an in depth trip report. Lots of arguments ensued and even when we weren't arguing, an awkward shiftiness was always between us until it eventually faded. Of course, she asked all the typical fear based questions that arise from the myths about psychedelics (ex. What if it makes you go insane? What happens then??) So anyway, I'd just like to know of some stories and if anyone has ever reached a point of understanding with their parents. :\

I got caught smoking weed and drinking when I was 17, and then got fooled into admitting I took ecstasy at 18, so my parents were scared. Shortly after this time I started tripping. I certainly did not tell them about it for quite a long time, but I remained close to my parents, they didn't have some moral dilemma, they weren't scared I'd get a bent spine or go insane or other such nonsense, they used to smoke weed in college sometimes and were close friends with people who used drugs. They just didn't want me getting in trouble, and some of my older cousins ended up having some bad addiction problems so they were scared about that too. When I was 25 or 26, I was talking to my mom on the phone about religion for a long time (she is Christian and very passionate about it but she's the type of Christian who believes Jesus was a radical hippie and wants us to love everyone and that hell isn't a real thing), and I felt comfortable telling her about my first mushroom trip. The reason I did is because she was concerned about me being non-spiritual, like my siblings ended up (and I was before I tripped). I thought she might be freaked out, but I told her anyway, and she was really interested and told me it sounded like a good thing for me, as I told her about all the ramifications of it in my life. She seemed fascinated that some mushrooms could have connected me to "god", even though she maintained that she believes god is a singular entity pulling the strings, but she felt it was a good thing for me to believe in being a part of something bigger and to be a good person who is aware of things. I also told her I have had a few other trips. I never told her the extent to which I have done it.

A couple of years after that they found out about my long-term opiate addiction and were very scared, but they also helped me a lot. During that time my dad made me promise not to use any drugs again, it really scared him a lot. I didn't keep that promise, but I did get off opiates and showed them over time that I was good, and I think my mom has full confidence in me and my dad pretty much does but he's still scared. I know my mom knows at least that I smoke weed sometimes, and alcohol is no worry of theirs, and my dad probably knows too but he can see I'm good. I have never told my dad about psychedelics and never will... my mom may have told him about it, or maybe not. He is just kinda dismissive that drug experiences could be valuable, it seems. Plus I could always talk to my mom about more things. I may or may not share more about it at some point with my mom, but not sure what the point of that would be. If she asked I would have no problem telling her that I still occasionally use psychedelics. My dad has ALS and probably has another year or 2 at very most to live... I'm sad that I won't ever share it with him, but it would only worry him and our relationship is very good, and I don't want to him go out of this life worrying about me...

Basically my parents have been quite understanding, moreso than I expected they would when I was younger. I haven't told them the extent of my drug use at all, but my mom supports the idea that psychedelics can be useful tools for personal and spiritual growth.

My family's really open about it and both of my parents have tripped before I ever did, they were part of the hippie generation. So it's not been a big deal. I feel lucky about that.

My mother still won't discuss my psychedelic use and I'm nearly 62 :\

I tried for 40 years but have now given up.

My family also doesn't talk about drugs at all. They have talked a lot and for a for a long time, now it's totally inappropriate to even point out something like pot becoming legal in a certain state or country. Watching movies when with scenes related to drugs is like seeing a naked person with you parents when you are still a young child. The silence can be pretty annoying sometimes. Apart from that they can be quite interesting and open minded just about anything else.

My parents found out about my psychedelic use when they asked me why I quit smoking cigarettes and I told them about a particular 2C-E trip that played a big role in that. So even if it came as a bit of a shock to them, in this context it wasn't really cause for a lot of concern on their part, at least after I reassured them that this wasn't about substituting daily use of one drug with daily use of another drug. Still they were, and still are, clearly uncomfortable with the topic, so we hardly ever talk about it.

Hey tokezu! Cool avatar. I love discordian ideas! :) It's not often that I come across people who have even heard of such things haha.

I have always been a very honest and straightforward person. A bit over the edge. So my family has known about all my drug history. With no ornaments, just hard and raw truth.
I first tripped when I was 15 years old. I bit young you might think, I think so too. Anyway, I took it full of fear and with just the information of that's bad, it will make you laugh as you have ever, and you might end up going nuts for the rest of your life if you are unlucky. It was quite a rite of passage ala Russian roulette fashion.
Well, I might have been young and stupid but the experience left me impressed. I would never forget on my way back home and thinking ''If what just happened to me was bad, this life is a bitch'' It had been the best experience in my living history. I was amazed at the behavior of my mind. I felt like I learned so much in a few hours.

Then I started some furious reading about the subject. Anytime a birthday came my requests were books about drugs so it was completely in the open. They tried to talk me out of it, but I had all the data and they had none, just some propaganda maybe, so it was an unfair battle. I became obsessed with the subject, a bit too much for my well-being honestly. Soon later they started to avoid the subject and let me do whatever I liked. A few years back I learned that there was no point bringing the subject myself as it was just creating conflict...but sometimes it can't be avoided, having such a big mouth.

Well I told my mom about my psychedelic and dissociative use before she passed, but my dad died when I was 15 so I was t tripping then..... If it wasn't for those experiences I'd probably have offed myself years ago which I'm sure she apperciated to some degree...

During my first trip my dad kept an eye on me, drove me around, teased me about saying strange things...

I told my mother way too much years later about the mystical and spiritual states of consciousness I had experienced, some of which were ultimate. She doesn't really understand and just worries a lot. By her own admission she is very down to earth (a sober dutch cow, as she always says)...

I had an understanding for years because they thought I knew very well what I was doing.

They are not so understanding anymore since I had problems with addiction of other types of drugs so I don't tell them about any of it now. It's true that knowing a lot about this stuff also kind of 'keeps me in the drug scene' in general - they think knowing a lot about these things is a bad thing now, however I mostly abstain from virtually all drugs I have had problems with, and I truly believe that psychedelics are not a problem for me and they haven't been for a long time. Even when they were a problem it was not a typical kind like with addiction but rather about going too far down the rabbit hole and getting confused or dysfunctional.

I don't feel like trying to explain this difference anymore, they are just way too worried to accept that. But it's enough that I am confident about psychedelics myself and am very happy to use them instead of other drugs to get out of my head every once in a while - the influence they have is almost entirely positive and it has been that way for years.

Last edited:
My mother is very understanding person and she has always given me necessary freedom to explore for which I'm so thankful...

As I was exploring LSD world deeply, she became really interested in what it does (she is a psychologist and a teacher), so we had two beautiful cleansing trips together - it was SO relieving to let our deepest emotions flow freely. It was magical, it strengthen our relationship and let us forgave each other for things that usually never come to conscious surface.

Unfortunately I have lost my father before I started experimenting with psychedelics, but I'm sure we would enjoy some LSD or DMT as father and son, as he was a deeply spiritual man, a real shaman at heart.

Wow, you're lucky yo get to experience psychedelics with your parents. I feel lucky that my mom can be accepting of my important experiences, but it would be so cool to do it with her. I mean, she wouldn't like psychedelics, she didn't even like weed, she said it made her feel out of control, she doesn't even like being drunk. But it would be cool if it could be, I'd really value that.

Since I was 14 my parents knew I smoked weed. My mom didn't approve but my dad saw it as a positive alternative to alcohol. The first time I tripped I was 17. Yeah old enough but I still fell for some of that dumb meditation chakra and telepathy shit for a while after and would talk about it. One day my dad had told me he wanted to try LSD with my mom on their anniversary so obviously he knew something was up because he thought I would know where to get some lol. I have talked to my parents with the biggest damn pupils before lol. I have never told them straight up I trip.. but im sure they assume. My parents anniversary is in June and I debate heavily whether I not I want to give my father LSD to share with my mom before they have been properly briefed on what it actually does to your brain and how to interpret these feelings. I do not feel comfortable with my mom tripping as she is predisposed to mental illness and is the money maker of the family. Already on SSRI's as well. My dad does not work and is a deeply spiritual Christian. Lately me and my brothers have been bringing up the concept that life as a human really in meaningless when it is all said and done and you're in the ground. Maybe he will start to accept that? Or maybe have LSD fueled delusions of his god? Im not sure but as long as he enjoys it right? I would enjoy tripping with my father, preferably in a nature setting but he recently broke his back.. which was quite an experience we shared already. I turned 18 a month ago and he barely hides his drug abuse any more and neither do I, we just kind of have this unsaid pact that we wont tell my mother on each other lol. Maybe this summer I will get my dad one of the gel tabs I first tripped on and he can dip his foot in the water with me as his guide into the earthly world of LSD. I've been debating a lot about this topic lately.

If your mom's on SSRIs she won't be able to trip, so you should tell them that first maybe, so that they can plan the trip in avance.

Well when they showed up at the hospital after i tried to kill myself by jumping out a 2nd story window...(LOL) "yall, it was the 2ce, 4 aco dmt and mxe, not me I swear". Then we toasted marshmellows whilst reacharounds abounded.