• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Blends vs Hybrids

wombat66

Bluelighter
Are the effects of a blend of two cannabis strains at all comparable to the effects of hybrid strain of those two strains?

Example: Permafrost is a hybrid strain of Trainwreck and White Widow. Are the effects of smoking Permafrost similar to smoking a mixed blend of Trainwreck and White Widow?

The seed companies and growers put a lot of effort into interbreeding various strains. My local dispensaries carry lots of them. But I rarely hear of blending strains for better effects or taste though this is a common practice in the tobacco and alcohol industries.

My experience is that they're close but not the same. A hybrid will develop its own unique characteristics while also being somewhat like the parents. I've seen hybrids heavily favor one parent, and hybrids that are a nice balance. Some hybrids end up showing characteristics of past generations, and some create very unique but stable blends.

That's all genetic. In terns of blending for smoking, I think most of it comes down to very classic indica/sativa traits. In some ways, pot is pot. It's not going to magically mimic sone radically different substance. Yes, sativas are known for more cerebral highs, indicas for more body/couch lock highs. So long as you are receptive to these differences, that's where you'll find your own personal answers. Some of it is esthetic, taste, aroma, etc. Selective breeding will come up with unique strains but I'm not so sure the nature of the highs will vary that much, within sativas and within indicas.