• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Am i going insane?

shmoolie

Greenlighter
Hi everyone, my names Michael and im new to bluelight. In 13 days ill have 10 months sober, but something is really wrong, half of the time im feeling great and positive, I have a good job, loving support from my family and good sober friends in my life, and I stay busy for the most part to where im fine, the mental obsession is definitely lifted, but the other half of my time I feel so out of touch with reality, I cant eat much and am loosing weight, depression back and forth, feeling like im having a identity crisis. Am I going insane???? ive never been sober this long in my life, so I don't no what to think, I know these feelings will pass and ill feel ok again, it usually happens, but then boom, this distraught out of touch anxious feelings overpower me, like im so aware of everything on this whole new level, im freaking out.

It sounds like you are going through a lot of changes in your life that are anything but pleasant. It does not sound like you are going insane in the least, just that the stuff you're going through is really stressing you out.

Do you have a therapist or someone like that you could talk to about what you're experiencing in detail? I would be willing to bet that, when hashed out to their proper degree, all the things you are noticing can be successfully addressed by attention to your lifestyle, health and wellbeing. It really helps to have someone who is knowledgable about such thing to bounce idea off of rather than struggling alone.

Yip, sounds like depression and anxiety to me. You sound somewhat attached to the stigma of possibly being a part of "insanity" without perhaps understanding entirely what it is. I guess it's all on a closely linked spectrum (the entire human experience is pretty 'insane'), but insanity tends to refer to psychosis i.e severe delusions and/or hallucinations.

Many people experience depression and anxiety, and the old identity crisis is often a part of that.

I guess you should work on accepting yourself or improving yourself... Or a bit of both? Work on getting your mental and physical health in top form: exercise, meditation, mindfulness, whole foods and not processed junk, etc etc.

Last edited:
You should get checked out by a doctor. Get your testosterone and other harmones checked. If you rule out physical reasons then go see a phychiatrist.

Statistically many addicts have an underelying phych diagnosis. So I wouldn't be surprised if you do as well.