• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

My Alcohol Taper and Detoxification

A 7 day hospital detox would be the safest opton there's no doubt. I don't like the sounds of you completely stopping drinking without a benzo taper or at the very least someone to watch you very closely. Seizures are very sudden. You could have one driving walking up steps hit your head ect. I really think you should go to the ER explain the situation see if you can get an outpatient taper. I know it seems like everything is well right now but it can flip on a dime. Your doctor sounds like he doesn't want the responsibility of monitoring your detox.

If you go to a 30 day program it's gonna be aa shoved down your throat that's just how it is. But a couple days in the hospital want be like that.

I'm currently 24 hours sober with no symptoms besides slight hand tremors (also I've been up since 2am and it's 7:48 now, so that may have something to do it) and when I lay down to go to sleep (only to sleep) my limbs twitch for a little while until I go to sleep. And my brain sometimes tingles on the side and itchy for a moment.

Do you really think I should still go to the doctors after I'm 24 hours sober and I only have mild symptoms now?

I'm currently 24 hours sober with no symptoms besides slight hand tremors (also I've been up since 2am and it's 7:48 now, so that may have something to do it) and when I lay down to go to sleep (only to sleep) my limbs twitch for a little while until I go to sleep. And my brain sometimes tingles on the side and itchy for a moment.

Do you really think I should still go to the doctors after I'm 24 hours sober and I only have mild symptoms now?

Did you taper before stopping altogether? If not, it's of course *awesome* that you're doing well...but it would still be a very good idea to consult with a doctor. As TPD mentioned earlier, with the amount of alcohol you described earlier being in the picture, detox-related health risks are very real for several days after stopping.

Yes, I've been tapering for close to a month and a half now? Ish? I had NOT done cold turkey at all, that's insane to me.

I had a couple screw ups last week with taking extra nip amounts (50mil) because my boyfriend broke up with me for the 2nd time in a month, and I had to work back down again, but overall I feel fine today. I worked my typical 6 hours shift, got a little hot and heated here and there, but I work at a subway and that's no surprise with how how the ovens get. Currently Im at 36 hours sober and I've felt back to my old self again, whatever that is. Since Sunday the 4th (today's the 10th) my ex broke up with me, I've been in an emotional turmoil every hour or so, so maybe everything going on in my brain forced my GABA recptors to right themselves, haha.

My resting heart rate and BP is 121/78/96 right now.

My brain feels completely fine today, no tingles persisted, maybe rarely I noticed as I worked my job today. The same with my body. My fingers only very slightly tremble, like it's just my left ring finger you can notice. I've gotten a little body heat every now and then and sweated, but I also worked my job in a subway restaurant where it's typical to get hot.

Also I don't know if i.mentioned but I switched tapering from 40% alcohol to 20% weeks ago.

I've been sleeping in my sister's room on the floor of her bed for the past 4 days or so, cause I'd been having so little alcohol, I didn't want anything to happen alone in my room at night, so my sister was around. Tonight, I may sleep in my mom's bed cause my sister isn't around, or down on the couch close to her room, so if something happens I can at least call to her or she can hear me seize. I think I will sleep in my mom's bed. And the rest of today is going to be studying and staying at home with my mom anyway, so she'll be around all the time. And there's an ambulance and fire station 3 minutes from my house, not that that matters when minutes are on the line.

I'm pretty sure I'm out of the woods right now. I was pretty sure the thing was if you do cold turkey, the risk of seizures mostly happen 48-72 hours into the detox.

I do have a doctor's appointment on the 14th in 3ish days, I was just going to wait to talk to him then about it, cause he's rechecking my heart meds.

Last edited:
I still dont have health insurance, so the first appointment at STARR was going to cost me 435ish, and a stay at the Phoenix house IF they have a bed open is a few hundred WITH insurance too, which is really only a bed and they give you Sudafed so you can sleep. I could go to the hospital tonight, but that would mean driving myself cause my mom doesnt know at all I drink, and it's 20 minutes away and I'd have to drive the highway.

Hey guys, just wanted to check in, it's been over two weeks with no alcohol and I'm feeling great! I've been having cravings these past few days but I always think back to how I felt with withdrawals and I've been walking away from the drink each time, so I'm very proud of myself. The best moment was when I went fishing with a friend and he brought weed and beers and offered me both, and my first response was hell no. Then after the first hour I kept thinking what could one beer hurt, it's such low alcohol content, it couldn't throw me into Kindling right away, but I held out all afternoon. I'm going to be sober for a full month before I drink again to make sure my neurons ate back in order. Honestly each time I look at a drink my stomach turns and I can't imagine being drunk again.

Hey guys, just wanted to check in, it's been over two weeks with no alcohol and I'm feeling great! I've been having cravings these past few days but I always think back to how I felt with withdrawals and I've been walking away from the drink each time, so I'm very proud of myself. The best moment was when I went fishing with a friend and he brought weed and beers and offered me both, and my first response was hell no. Then after the first hour I kept thinking what could one beer hurt, it's such low alcohol content, it couldn't throw me into Kindling right away, but I held out all afternoon. I'm going to be sober for a full month before I drink again to make sure my neurons ate back in order. Honestly each time I look at a drink my stomach turns and I can't imagine being drunk again.

That's fantastic, man (or ma'am). Amazing work!

Great job.... :) Stick with it!!!!!!!!!!

R13

Wanted to add... Been on metoprolol for over 20 years now. It helps with anxiety and regulates your heart beat as well as controlling BP. Just what you want when your in a pain induced anxiety spiral. Its worked well for me. Sounds like your doc knows what hes doing.

R13

Last edited by a moderator:
If you end up going to the Phoenix House I'd be interested to hear how you find it. I have not exactly heard great things.

I went fishing with a friend last night, I drank a 4% alcohol content beer over an hour. I actually got a little rush in my head for like 10 minutes from it. I was surprised, and nervous for the rest of the night in case it would throw me into withdrawls, but it's been 12 hours since then and nothing, so I'm glad to know I can handle a drink here or there. I feel like I lost all appetite for hard liquor now, I wouldn't mind being able to enjoy a beer or a glass of wine on the weekends.

I've started running alot too (4-5 days a week, I'm hoping I can finally get to a half marathon for next year) , and applying to grad school, so that's been taking a ton of my focus. Still dealing with the emotions from the breakup pretty hard, but I'm been visiting the Relationship thread on Bluelight and that's been helping too. Just trying to live as best I can each day I'm blessed with.
I'm hoping for the rest of the summer I can teach yoga at a studio and my local library. I originally thought I was going to have a summer romance, but now I think I want to fall back in love with who I am, and not jump into a relationship just to put the other person first and put myself second again. 5.5 years with my boyfriend really changed me, and I think the next chapter of my life will be all about me, and my goals and dreams. That's really where my problem all started, always putting myself last, so I just dulled the pain of feeling left behind and forgotten.

Thankyou guys for sticking with me. I hope to help anyone else out there struggling with alcohol.

Thanks SImco! I wouldn't have been able to do it without finding the advice, experience and support from this site.

R13, thats great to hear! My doc had mentioned in the begining it would make me tired and sleepy when I first started taking the pills, but my anxeity feels the same right now, and I had my first panic attack on June 10th, I don't think I've ever had a panic attack before. I'm actually not a fan of being on medication so young (i'm a 26 year old female.) so I'm hoping through exercise and good eating I can lower my BP and pulse naturally so I can wean off, but my mom is on Metropolol too for the same reasons, so i maybe just be stick with it for life

Toothpaste, I probably won't go the Pheonix house, not unless I spiral again, cause then I know my problem runs deeper than just a temporary shitty relationship breakup. My friend had gone for the 60 day treatment for Pheonix and he said it was better than he expected, but hes also "No pain, no gain." type. Pheonix house is hiring staff actually, and I laughed to my friend maybe I'd apply, and he basically locked me in my room to say hell no I'm not working there, hahahahaha.

That is one of the things I'm looking forward to most in the next leg of my recovery - cultivating healthier, more mutual interpersonal relationships. It's interesting =D

It's helpful to keep my eyes on on the various prizes this process involves :)

I've started running alot too (4-5 days a week, I'm hoping I can finally get to a half marathon for next year) , and applying to grad school, so that's been taking a ton of my focus. Still dealing with the emotions from the breakup pretty hard, but I'm been visiting the Relationship thread on Bluelight and that's been helping too. Just trying to live as best I can each day I'm blessed with.
I'm hoping for the rest of the summer I can teach yoga at a studio and my local library. I originally thought I was going to have a summer romance, but now I think I want to fall back in love with who I am, and not jump into a relationship just to put the other person first and put myself second again. 5.5 years with my boyfriend really changed me, and I think the next chapter of my life will be all about me, and my goals and dreams. That's really where my problem all started, always putting myself last, so I just dulled the pain of feeling left behind and forgotten.

I was a hardcore alcoholic so I can relate to your issues. An ex girlfriend (the person I was dating while my divorce was going on) told me I had to be comfortable with myself before I can be comfortable with another person. It took a long time but I finally figured out what she meant. At this point, I used to say I would live with someone but I never want to be married again, but now that I have been living by myself in my own home for about a year, I don't even want to live with anyone else.

Good luck with the half-marathon training. I used to run one annually, but I haven't in about 5 years. Since getting sober I got my road bike fixed up and do that now instead of running. Yoga is also great for peace of mind.

I agree with this, I have to love myself before i can love another. I'm perfectly fine with being by myself right now and discovering who I am, although while the depression is getting worse, it's manageable. I've hit rock bottom before in terms of major depression while i was a teen, so i know my limits. I am lonely at the worse in the mornings and the evenings when I don't have anything to distract me, although my friends have been great to me. I've been asked out by 3 guys so far, but I'm not interested in any of them, and I think a random hookup in the end will make me feel worse and more empty. I won't hunt down love, it has to just happen.

@ aihfl, The half marathon training is a huge goal in my mind now. Running and photography are the only things that give me bountiful joy. All other times I feel empty, but that's just apart of the process. I use to be the one who could brighten anyone's day, no matter how bad they were feeling. Everyone has to help me out now. Unfortunately I was hitting running too often I think, and I'm developing a shin splint. I'm icing it daily and massaging it to help it recover. I'll wait another week and ease back into running, this time with a plan and solid intention. I can't believe how much I miss running.

I won't hunt down love, it has to just happen.
I think that's the healthy way to go. I have a friend who has been sober for about 13 years, and he's on 2 online dating sites and he's on them so much it's like a half-time job for him. We were out for coffee once and he asked me, "Don't you miss sex?" and I told him I may miss the idea of it but I sure as hell don't miss what I had to go through to get it. I dabbled with online dating and it's not for me. I'm just not settling anymore; I'm not going to be in a relationship just to be in a relationship. As far as the feelings of isolation go, have you thought of joining a running club? Kill two birds with one stone.