• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Can you make a non plastic gravity bong?

nancy145

Bluelighter
Me and all my friends really like to be efficient with our weed, so we always use gravity bongs. I recently found out that smoking with a plastic bottle (not like lighting the plastic, just having smoke go through it) decays the chemicals in the plastic, causing you to inhail them, and damaging several organs. Is there any way to make a gravity bong using a safe, non plastic replacement for the bottle? Were all 16 or 17 so we can't just like buy one from a store or website, it needs to be with household materials. I tried making one by drilling holes into a empty glass liquor bottle once, but the drill wouldn't go through it, even on max power. Any help would be great

Keep in mind stuff like aluminum for drink containers, really anything that touches food, has a plastic liner. (And metals corrode faster, may be more toxic--organo-metallics can be brutal, eg. leaded gas, ethyl mercury). But that really shouldn't be an issue anywhere except right at the bowl; everything else, including smoke, will be way too cool.

In fact, with repeated use, you'll build a nice protective, non-stick layer of resin. I'd stick with the 2L bottle, not worry about BPA headlines.

Or, enroll in your local adult school and get kiln privelages, fire your own beautiful ceramic thing, with organic clay shipped from some endangered clay forest somewhere. But don't glaze the inside.

(BPA needs a very high pH to leech. It also would only effect your children, not you, so . . . )

you need diamond-tipped bits for drilling glass though a stupid trick i learned is scraping a focused part of the bottle against brick until it gets proper scratched up then dropping a ball bearing into the bottle and shaking it hard against the weakened spot until it breaks through.

it's been a while since i did that, nowadays i'd probably try this trick instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ55waXpgjQ

Hey lads what's the best way in your opinion to home make a decent bong? I'm underwhelmed by the local head shop and don't want to shell out $50 for something plastic that cost them five bucks.

you can cut glass with string and fire, makes a clean cut. if you take teh bottom off a glass bottle like that then you can stick it in a bucket filled with water and have a potent g-bong.

it's great because there's no force needed to get wicked vacuum and then gently let the bottle drop while inhaling dense smoke.

don't mix it with baccy unless you like to spin and hurl

you need diamond-tipped bits for drilling glass
No you don't... Any carborundum or masonry bit will do it .
The quick way is with a hammer drill, but CUSHION the bottle. Don't press too lightly or the rattle will crack the bottle. Don't press too hard or when the hole punches through you can smash the bottle with the chuck.
Galliano bottles make great bongs with the bonus of watching blind drunk people take a swill of bong water.

Me and all my friends really like to be efficient with our weed, so we always use gravity bongs. I recently found out that smoking with a plastic bottle (not like lighting the plastic, just having smoke go through it) decays the chemicals in the plastic, causing you to inhail them, and damaging several organs. Is there any way to make a gravity bong using a safe, non plastic replacement for the bottle? Were all 16 or 17 so we can't just like buy one from a store or website, it needs to be with household materials. I tried making one by drilling holes into a empty glass liquor bottle once, but the drill wouldn't go through it, even on max power. Any help would be great
Where did you "find that out". I find it hard to believe that smoke which is a good ways away from the combustion chamber would leach much out of the plastic. A gravity bong might be different since it is closer to the cherry, but something like a plastic bottle for a bong where the smoke is already water cooled before it hits the plastic seems like a bit much to worry about.

People smoke out of silicone, like the bowl is made of it. Same websites who sell the silicone pipes say that any metal is bad. Sheesh.

Yes, plastic would be bad for the combustion chamber or even right below it. Just use a wood tube or some other material to insulate from the heat under the bowl.

I only smoke out of gravity bongs with a glass bowl, however it usually is melted into a cap. Keep the bowl a few inches off of the cap and you will be fine. No extra melting has occured in the many many times I have done it. YMMV

If you have access to a wet saw for tile you can easily cut the bottom off a glass bottle. Then use that.

-GC

If you have access to a wet saw for tile you can easily cut the bottom off a glass bottle. Then use that.

-GC

Thanks, but won't water spill out the bottom of my bong if it lacks a base? I'm not trying to build a gravity bong. I'm trying to build a hookah-style bong, but I didn't want to say it that way because it won't look anything like what most of our marginally literate comrades here would call a hookah. Basically a conventional and garden-variety bong.

I think he is assuming a bucket of water is your base. Ok I have had one all glass gbong. It looked like a meth beaker with a 14.4 mm top with downpiece, under it sat a large pyrex cup. You would fill the beaker up with water, put the bowlpiece on top of the beaker. Spin the beaker thing and the water would spill out of the beaker creating the needed drag. Water goes into pyrex cup, beaker is filled with smoke.

I also see a youtube video on how to make an all glass gbong out of wine bottles. May be of interest.

Thanks, but won't water spill out the bottom of my bong if it lacks a base? I'm not trying to build a gravity bong. I'm trying to build a hookah-style bong, but I didn't want to say it that way because it won't look anything like what most of our marginally literate comrades here would call a hookah. Basically a conventional and garden-variety bong.

Well I used to make mine outta plastic water bottles, highlighter that’s been emptied out to use as down stem, and aluminum foil bowl lol. I have drilled out wine bottle with a dremel before, then used a metal tube for the down stem and a piece from a ratchet set as the bowl. Takes a bit of ingenuity and seeing what’s available.

-GC

The OP was about gravity bongs.

To answer your question, I used to just use shampoo bottles. I would cobble up a quality stem and bowl. Then poke a hole in a shampoo bottle. Then heat that with a lighter and quickly push the stem in. With a shampoo bottle, there is generally no glue needed. The bottle forms right around it.

Then, when it got dirty, I would pull the stem and put it in a new, clean shampoo bottle and throw away the old one.

You can make a hookah using the same principles, but a bong is so easy

The quality stem takes care of any outgassing issues. Warm smoke against a shampoo bottle isn't going to hurt you.

Takes a bit of ingenuity and seeing what’s available.

Thanks, G-Chem. You've inspired me. I'm going to hit up Home Depot for supplies in a bit.

cpep.jpg

Go, Jews!

glass gbong out of wine bottles. May be of interest.

Thanks, I might go full Bob Villa on this mother.

danger-zone1.jpg

An old stem and bowl I dug up out of the basement real quick.
Storebought brass bowl, aluminum insulator, phenolic stem.

I worked as a machinist, so I also have a bunch of completely stainless steel stems I made. I'm showing this one for ideas for people without access to a lot of tools.

If you're worried about the possible outgassing from the aluminum touching the bowl, I hope you don't cook in aluminum cookware. Regardless, you could make similar out of wood with a hand drill.

In smoke shops, I've seen glass stems and bowls you could buy off the shelf. The key is a quality, safe, stem and bowl.

I also made purty bongs in the day from bamboo, glass bottles, PVC, (again, only in the main body, not much heat). Some of them were pretty good and I actually sold a few.
But, myself, I gravitated to using shampoo bottle bongs because you could just throw away the bottle when it got filthy and get a new one.

Last edited:
I've seen smokeshops sell glass bottles with the bottom missing for the deliberate purpose of use as a gravity bong.

Nothing will ever top the 5 liter gravity bong in a Tupperware container some friends and I made at the end of senior year around 11 years ago. The thing was insane, we called it Bubba. My friend and I took a half gram, broke it into like, 15 pieces and were able to preserve weed so well with it. Just a little snapper and the thing would just absolutely FILL with smoke and you'd get stupid high very easily. Before that we just used a tea bottle, I forget the brand, but it's square on the bottom. I did try one of the glass ones from a smoke shop but it didn't seem to really have any benefit other than I suppose inhaling smoke from a plastic bottle probably isn't great for you.