• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

What do you consider visual arts to a blind man?

Speed King

Bluelighter
I was checking out some Stevie Wonder albums, and this album in particular had Braille on the cover. So what does that mean for the term visual art? If any of you understand the third eye, visual art doesn't necessarily mean visual.

I started this, mainly for opinion, but it seems that visual art, can mean a lot of things.

Thoughts?

That is a pretty cool question. I feel like a trip to the Braille Institute might be in order. Really gets at what constitutes visual are - it's like how culinary are involves more than just the sense of taste and smell, but all five (or six) senses as well. I wonder what culinary art would mean to someone without a sense of smell?

Nobody else can contribute to this thread? It may take a second, but this is actually a deep subject.

There really is no wrong answer. Just speculation and ideas.

I don't completely understand blindness, but I imagine if the individual had vision at some point then I'd think certain stimuli might spark imagery.

Also, light sensitivity may cause different patterns to be interesting.

From my experience with psychedelics, I feel that individuals have understanding of objects, for instance fractals, that they have never experienced in this realm.

That makes a lot of sense. I need to look it up, but there is an article on blind people on psychedelics. That would be an interesting read.

^^ Excellent article. The basic psychadelic features seem to be present. I'm sure euphoria manifests the same. Focus must be altered to some extent. I hope Stevie Wonder tripped. He is a very creative artist.