• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Tenilsetam and other miscellaneous nootropics

birdkat

Greenlighter
I've always been curious about the various nootropics out there, and why people swear by this drug or another. So here I am, writing a practice essay about what the hell is going on with Alzheimer's treatments (I'm just finishing off my pharmacology degree) and come across the mention of a drug called 'Tenilsetam'.

Does anyone know anything about its use? Has anyone used it? Heard of it even? – there is no mention of it anywhere, a number of papers on in vitro/in vivo, a handful of patient studies, but no "records" of anyone using it

It's an AGE (
Anvanced Glycation End Product) inhibitor and acts as a nootropic. 1989 was a hot year for testing it in Alzheimer's (AD), but since then, there is barely any information on it. That said, they saw some cognitive improvement and better memory recall, also saw cognitive improvements in control experiments.

Does anyone know "what's wrong with it"? Testing stopped a while back, does it not work? I was surprised to have never heard about it before. Supposedly it shifts brain activity towards low serotonergic and high dopaminergic (in rats, but healthy rats became more
vigilant, Wilfried et al., 1989, plus it's been used in people and seems to have worked too). Anybody out there who can fill me in on what happened to the drug?

Apologies if this post is out of place (it's my first post), but I can't help being curious whether there's anyone out there who has actually used it ;)

Oh and, if there are any other random nootropics you can think of, please throw them my way (Too many dementia patients swear by complementing whatever treatment/or lack of thereof by nootropics, it's interesting to read given all the clinical trial failures in the field)

For reference: AD findings – Improvement in favourability judgement task (Perisic et al., 1989), Specific psychomotor improvements (Saletu et al., 1989), Reduced cholinergic deficiency in the hippocampal area, memory improvements (Dierks et al., 1989)

Judging by the structure, I'd say they stumbled too far into the morpholine type anorectic agents.. phenmetrazine and the like. Those were classed as Really Abusable by the DEA. It turns out that "cognition enhancer" and "amphetamine type stimulant" are too closely associated to be respected by the medical community.

Long story short... stimulant drug, dopamine enhancement, etc may sound "procognitive" to you but to the guys in suits and ties at the DEA all they hear is "super cocaine". It was during the Ronnie Ray Gun administration too... Just Say No and all that crap.

See also: pemoline, aminorex, the like. So many mild stimulants could be used today were it not for the spectre of "abuse potential".

Interesting...

What about Sunifiram, Unifiram, MethylPhenylPiracetam and Huperzine A as other random obscure noots to go with Alzheimer's treatments?.. I'd like to see MethylPhenylPiracetam available for reasonable prices.

so how do people with proven dopamine deficiency genetically are capable of getting better if all dopamine boosters are illegal and hard to ever get prescribed?

DRI/DRAs are not "dopamine boosters",they simply cause existing stores of dopamine to be released (releasing agents) or the dopamine that is released normally to persist longer in the synapse (dopamine reuptake inhibitor). If you are deficient in dopamine production they won't produce a strong stimulant effect, nor do they increase production of dopamine.

Most people aren't dopamine deficient though, you'd have symptoms of Parkinsons and severe deficiencies in executive function if that was the case.

A high protein diet, aerobic exercise, and novel experiences will do way more for most people suffering from anhedonia then taking methylphenidate.

hmm but i think what you suggested to do that might help will be boosted by methylphenidate much more compared to just taking methylphenidate :)