The Americas
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • NSADD Moderators: deficiT | Jen

Mixing Opiates and Benzos

RisingAbove777

Greenlighter
Ok so I really need some honest, factual, yet realistic feedback on this.

I've been addicted to oxycodone for nearly a year. I was up to 120-150 mgs a day. I've tapered myself down to about 45-60 mgs a day, still trying to get completely off but if anyone's been through it you'll know how hard that is.

I've also been prescribed 1 mg Klonopin for about 2 years. And recently got a perscription of 1 mg Xanax. I have horrible panic attacks that is usually controlled by the Klonopin, taking 1-2 mg before bed. But lately I've been having nocturnal panic attacks. I'll be in a deep sleep and have a full blown panic attack so I'll take a Xanax to get myself under control and back to sleep.

I was taking Klonopin regularly way before I had my first oxy. I never took the two at the same time. I snort my oxy 1/4 pill at a time throughout the day. So for example let's say I snort my last quarter around 7 pm, I've always taken my Klonopin the same way, around 8:30- 9 o'clock. I've never had any problems like this. I'll still be a little high from the oxy and the Klonopin gives me a nice nod and helps me to fall asleep, which is usually very hard for me. Anxiety and panic attacks are super common for me while laying in bed.

I've been doing a lot of reading lately about mixing benzos and opiates and people saying how dangerous it is. I need real answers here because it's bothering and scaring me. Have I basically been getting lucky gambling with life this entire time? Or does it have something to do with my tolerance to both drugs that has made it ok for me to handle? I've honestly gotten anxiety from taking too much oxy before and took a Klonopin and made me feel like a million bucks. I'm really trying to quit the oxy but I'm still on it regularly and I won't get a lick of sleep without my benzos. Somebody please help. I don't want somebody to just tell me what I want to hear, that I'm completely safe and not to worry unless that's the truth. I feel like I'm pretty smart about spacing them out. Should I wait longer to take my benzo? Should I take a lesser dose? Someone please help!!

Also if anyone has any advice for kicking my oxy habit please feel free to point me in the right direction

So you honestly should be ok, when talking about this they are usually talking about someone doing dope and kpins or Xanax and dying. Oxy is still a hard drug obviously but you know what's in it, you know how strong it is and as long as you don't exceed you normal dose(with both drugs) you should be good. A lot of the time people don't know what's in their bag of dope and it's a lot stronger than normal plus they are taking the benzo illegally and aren't doing it everyday like you. They take the benzo to get a better nod and next thing they know boom they are getting hit with narcan or worse they don't wake up if you really wanna kick your oxy habit, you may wanna look into Suboxone. Not sure where your from, but usually their are clinics that you can get into pretty easy. One thing you don't wanna do is go cold turkey from both the oxys and benzos. That actually could become life threatening. As people kicking benzos often have seizures, plus with the oxy w/d on top of it, well it wouldn't be a good idea. Hope this helps a little. Also try tapering your oxy habit down little by little.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I kinda figured I wasn't messing up too bad but you know how the Internet is, make you believe anything will kill you. And as far as it goes for suboxone I've been thinking about that a lot. I know enough people that pop pills and have gotten clean that I can probably get some off the street. But I've heard horror stories about that. Being more addictive than the roxys and the withdrawals being way worse. So if I went that route I'd want to see a doctor and do it the right way. But then again I feel like I could probably do it right if I got like a weeks worth of subs and just never take them again. Cause that week would get me through the oxy withdrawals and I shouldn't be addicted to subs after only using for a week. Or maybe I would I have no idea how those things work. But I've been slowly tapering down for about a month now but it's hard man. And I'm doing it all by myself. My family doesn't know I mess with it and I'm so used to snorting them throughout the day at work and everything that I can barely function normally without the amount I'm used to taking. Hopefully I can just keep weaning off and eventually get clean. That's my plan for now at least

The literature you’re referring to about mixing opiates and benzos is exactly right in that it significantly increases the risk of respiratory depression. Mixing any downers will increase that risk, and so this is also true with alcohol, barbs, and antihistamines. It’s actually very difficult to overdose from pure heroin-- the vast majority of those deaths occur from combining it with another depressant, particularly alcohol and particularly before bed. It’s an especially good thing to be aware of if you’re already mixing two other depressants. If you’re also adding Xanax to the mix, then please proceed with caution (especially before sleep).

That said, it sounds like you’ve been doing this for awhile already with no adverse consequences. You likely have a good tolerance built up for both opioids and benzos, which works to your benefit to reduce the risk. Although, there is a theory that we establish a tolerance to the respiratory depressive effects more slowly than the other drug effects-- may be good to keep in mind. To that end, it’s good that you’ve been taking consistent doses. Drug effects are predictable, and if you don’t change your routine, it’s hard to imagine anything spontaneously terrible occurring. But now that you’re also taking xanax, around what time do you think you would take it? And do you take it on top of a klonopin nightcap? Oxy has a much shorter half life than either of those benzos, and so it’s very possible that a good amount is already out of your system by the time you take the xanax.

Also, I’d agree that quitting cold turkey would not be the safest route for kicking the oxy habit. If you relapse, your lower tolerance would seriously increase your risk for overdose. Would also recommend trying a suboxone program. Anyway hope some of that helps!

Thanks so much for the feedback. I kinda figured I wasn't messing up too bad but you know how the Internet is, make you believe anything will kill you. And as far as it goes for suboxone I've been thinking about that a lot. I know enough people that pop pills and have gotten clean that I can probably get some off the street. But I've heard horror stories about that. Being more addictive than the roxys and the withdrawals being way worse. So if I went that route I'd want to see a doctor and do it the right way. But then again I feel like I could probably do it right if I got like a weeks worth of subs and just never take them again. Cause that week would get me through the oxy withdrawals and I shouldn't be addicted to subs after only using for a week. Or maybe I would I have no idea how those things work. But I've been slowly tapering down for about a month now but it's hard man. And I'm doing it all by myself. My family doesn't know I mess with it and I'm so used to snorting them throughout the day at work and everything that I can barely function normally without the amount I'm used to taking. Hopefully I can just keep weaning off and eventually get clean. That's my plan for now at least
I have detoxed from opioids many times in my life, and am about to do it again here in the very near future. If you'd like I can lay out my model using Suboxone so it would be the least painful and also without depending on the subs too much. I always taper the doses down after the 3rd day. Taking less and less until the withdrawal is almost non existent. It's not too difficult.

I take the Xanax only when needed. Like I was saying I have panic attacks in my sleep so that completely relies on what time I fall asleep and what time I wake up panicking. But I never just stack the Klonopin and Xanax before I go to bed. Before I was given the Xanax I would just take another Klonopin when I had one of those episodes but Xanax is faster acting and helps me get back to bed quicker.

It’s actually very difficult to overdose from pure heroin-- the vast majority of those deaths occur from combining it with another depressant, particularly alcohol and particularly before bed.

This is the dumbest comment I've read on bluelight in a while. Actually, a lot of the stuff you wrote makes you sound very unlettered.