• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Need assistance with vocabulary so I can begin research

BudgetTheBrainChem

Greenlighter
Hi! I'm very new to this forum, and I've tried searching for what I'm interested in to no avail, and I have a feeling that it has to do with my word choice not being the proper terms for items.

Here is what I'm interested in:

BROADLY: We know many drugs have an overdose point, you do too much you die. But some drugs have a point where if you keep doing them, they just stop working because your brain runs out of neurotransmitter "juice" to release. (ex: If you were to take someone who did LSD or MDMA for three days in a row, it is highly likely their brain would NOT be able to give them any sort of grand experience on the 4th/5th/6th day and they would need time to rest up and recoup the natural neurotransmitters/neurochemicals in the body over a period of time before being able to respond to a drug.)

This is the broad concept I'm interested in. How one can "spend" and "budget" neurochemicals, and the best way to "schedule" drug usage over time considering their overlaps on what neurochemicals they deplete.

There are a lot of drugs forum conversations regarding combining one or more drugs in the same session, but I'm curious about the implications of a longer timeline (I don't want to get into the weeds because what I'm about to say is not yet informed, but let's say you had three items you were going to use over the course of two weeks: LSD, MDMA, and Mushrooms. If the Mushrooms release X chemical in your brain, and the MDMA releases Y chemical in your brain, and LSD releases X Y and Z in your brain, it would then behoove the person to plan out MDMA/Mushrooms in the first couple days as they release different neurotransmitters, then take a week off to replenish before you use the third thing that releases the same neurotransmitters. I'm using variables because I don't know which deplete/spend which neurotransmitters, and where there is overlap; trying to frame my investigation without getting into the weeds.)

So ideally I'd love to start my understanding with something like:
Drug Name: ABC
Depletes: Dopamine, serotonin
Time to restore neurochemicals: 6 weeks

Drug Name: DEF
Depletes: Dopamine
Time to restore: 2 days

OBVIOUSLY this is not science to hang your hat on, but because there are many who are equipped with the knowledge about MDMA and serotonin depletion, a lot of people can cope with serotonin depletion better. I am hoping this kind of information exists for many of the other drugs that "spend" our precious neurochemicals, and we can start looking at our intake choices with the same conscious consideration we do our financial budgets and dietary caloric budgets.

Any help - especially if this is already discussed and I just don't know the phrase for it- is greatly appreciated!

Eh this seems well intentioned but misguided. Neuropharmacology is much much more complex than x amount of depletion, y time for z restoration. The brain just doesn't really work like that. Plus, we still are relatively clueless as to the specifics of how these drugs are actually working besides which sites they're targeting and the most basic of interactions being had.

Tolerance rotations are pretty difficult to work out I think. They can all take a toll on ones mental health as well.

Tolerance is rapidly gained to daily use of psychedelics like LSD and mushrooms (both will downregulate/desensitize the 5-HT2A receptor responsible for psychedelic's effects) and then MDMA will not only desensitize serotonin receptors by causing serotonin release, but MDMA could also deplete the vesicular pool of serotonin that would normally be stocked for natural release (and release mediated by MDMA).

There are also concerns of neurotoxicity and psychiatric side effects with too much MDMA use.

Some of the psychiatric side effects that can accompany MDMA abuse and mixing it with psychedelics or other stimulants can be pretty severe and long lasting (years from one bad binge), so I would definitely say that adding in MDMA to a tolerance rotation is asking for trouble.

But some drugs have a point where if you keep doing them, they just stop working because your brain runs out of neurotransmitter "juice" to release.

This is a broad oversimplification. The process is know as tachyphylaxis if that helps.

There's no easy way to say, oh for drug X you need to wait Y days between doses for best effects. The simple fact that once you do a drug it's not a novel experience to do it a second time will influence the trip greatly.