• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Recent opiate addict going in for surgery soon.

Oneofthoseguys

Greenlighter
I am having surgery in 14days and up until 3 days ago was taking approx. 300-600mg of hydro/oxy daily. I had back surgery last June, which is when the dependence started. Slowly over the last year my tolerance grew up to the point it was 3 days ago. I planned on being clean for much longer before surgery but yea.... that didn't happen. I should be completely clean for 17 days leading up to the surgery. Do I have to worry about problems with anesthesia? Other than just taking a little more than usual to put me under? The type of surgery I am having I should be under for ~4-6 hours. Please help!

Last edited:
Be completely upfront with your doctors. Anesthesia is different so you should be OK--your tolerance may be a problem after the surgery.

Be completely upfront with your doctors. Anesthesia is different so you should be OK--your tolerance may be a problem after the surgery.

Agreed. I used to use methadone for about 3 years and had to get surgery. It's important you inform you doctor of your high tolerance even if it is embarrassing.

Also, if you are concerned, ask for bupe or a synthetic opiate that will be harder to get addicted too.

After surgery they will likely have to put you on a higher than usual dose so you aren't in pain.

Agreed. I used to use methadone for about 3 years and had to get surgery. It's important you inform you doctor of your high tolerance even if it is embarrassing.

Also, if you are concerned, ask for bupe or a synthetic opiate that will be harder to get addicted too.

After surgery they will likely have to put you on a higher than usual dose so you aren't in pain.

Indeed.
And you can also request that your doctor provide all due prescribed medications after you wake up. Maybe this is different in US but some hospitals are obliged to follow another doctor's instructions when it comes to that as people could have reactions that your surgeon will not want to happen. They should try to do whatever it takes to prevent being sued.

So it shouldn't effect the anesthesia at all? Honestly thats what I'm mainly concerned about.
I'm on methadone and I'm having dental surgery tomorrow. This is what I'm scared to death of.. not the pain afterwards, but being put to sleep because I refuse to tell the surgeon. Will I not die? Lol. But seriously

I'm on methadone and I'm having dental surgery tomorrow. This is what I'm scared to death of.. not the pain afterwards, but being put to sleep because I refuse to tell the surgeon. Will I not die? Lol. But seriously

Update us on how you did! I had my surgery pushed back a week because my doctor had a couple emergency surgeries, so I feel a little better about that. I am still going through withdrawls though:/