• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health ADD and criminal behavior

DigitalScript

Greenlighter
So, recently I've been busted for quite a few number of stupid things. I stole a bong, lied and didn't have it, then It was figured out I DID have it. I've been caught stealing xanax and ritalin, both on separate occasions. I've stolen hundreds of dollars from my parents (which I'm still paying back). Basically I just do really stupid things without thinking, and for some reason it works out perfectly in my head. I don't know why I do it and it has obviously become a big problem in my life. I saw a decent amount of articles where people said that before they were diagnosed with ADD they did things like stealing, fighting, and other criminal behavior. I'm talking to my psychiatrist on Wednesday and he will make the decision whether or not I need ADHD meds. I mainly need them because it's hard for me to pay attention in my math and English courses, but I'm hoping it will also help with my lying/stealing problem. I'm not looking for a scapegoat or a way to justify my terrible actions. I paid the consequences for my actions and still am. I have to pay all the money back I stole, and I lost a lot of trust from friends and family which is something hard to gain back :( . Does anyone have any knowledge between the link of ADD and criminal behavior? Thank you

They don't seem right for you. They are causing you to be compulsive, and they also give a false sense of confidence which explains perfectly your criminal behavior and lack of respect for others.

I'm not blaming the meds because many of us are perfectly fine on them. It's not the meds, it's you, they just exacerbate your feelings/tendencies, and you need to get some help to get your priorities and to hopefully increase your self control.

You can only burn so many bridges.. it's not worth it. Make your own money.

I see now. But imo amphetamines would increase your desire to do those negative things.

No need to be a dick though.

excuses excuses

just don't steal shit!
and if you do, don't blame it on ADD
=D

It may not be attention deficit disorder and it could be something else driving you to thievery. Which came first- the drugs or the stealing? I've known many addicts over the years who've stolen in order to support their habit. Then there are people who steal for no obvious reason. It's good you are seeing a psychiatrist to get to the bottom of this behavior. They might suggest counseling as well. I'm going to move this over to Mental Health where you may get some helpful advice.

No, but there's a strong link between being a dumb teenager and doing stupid stuff. "It's hard to pay attention in math and English," said every student ever, including me, and I was a nerd.

Everyone diagnosed with ADD was once younger, too, so it's hard to separate the stupid teenaged stuff from the ADD. I mean, I'd expect people with attention problems to generally get busted more often for petty stuff, but, if you're trying to win a script from the shrink, showing you have insight into your lying and thieving, setting restitution plans, might not work. Do real ADD kids actually worry about their grades? Maybe.

But really, I don't know how that works; I can say that I am taking way too much of the generic ADD drug methamphetamine, and if anything I'm way less focused. Or, sure, I can focus intently on my carpet where that shard went, but that doesn't help get to work on time. But then, other than the actual act of purchase, possession and use, I haven't committed a single crime.

It may not be attention deficit disorder and it could be something else driving you to thievery. Which came first- the drugs or the stealing? I've known many addicts over the years who've stolen in order to support their habit. Then there are people who steal for no obvious reason. It's good you are seeing a psychiatrist to get to the bottom of this behavior. They might suggest counseling as well. I'm going to move this over to Mental Health where you may get some helpful advice.
The money came first. It started when I was early the first time I stole was from my dad to get a bunch of steam gift cards. It definitely is a problem and I do take full responsibility, I would like to get to the bottom of my actions because my parents definitely did not raise me to be a thief. It could also just be me being stupid but I hope my psychiatrist could help me. Thank you for your help

excuses excuses

just don't steal shit!
and if you do, don't blame it on ADD
=D
If you read my post, I said that I am not looking for a scapegoat to justify my actions. I should have worded the question better, "Could ADD meds make me not want to steal or lie anymore?" I obviously have a problem with this, and because I don't know what I'm thinking when I do it I came here to see if anyone had any knowledge about a link between ADD and criminal behavior

No, but there's a strong link between being a dumb teenager and doing stupid stuff. "It's hard to pay attention in math and English," said every student ever, including me, and I was a nerd.

Everyone diagnosed with ADD was once younger, too, so it's hard to separate the stupid teenaged stuff from the ADD. I mean, I'd expect people with attention problems to generally get busted more often for petty stuff, but, if you're trying to win a script from the shrink, showing you have insight into your lying and thieving, setting restitution plans, might not work. Do real ADD kids actually worry about their grades? Maybe.

But really, I don't know how that works; I can say that I am taking way too much of the generic ADD drug methamphetamine, and if anything I'm way less focused. Or, sure, I can focus intently on my carpet where that shard went, but that doesn't help get to work on time. But then, other than the actual act of purchase, possession and use, I haven't committed a single crime.
I get what you're saying. I can garuntee you I am not just trying to win a script though. I agree with the part that it could just be me being a dumb teenager but I would like to get to the bottom of it, it's affecting my life and my relationships with other people very negatively. Thank you for your help and I'll be sure to talk to my psychiatrist about it.

Compulsive-ness, a hallmark of ADD, makes it more likely to engage in criminal behavior. There are therapies for it, such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). A pill might help a little bit, but really not stealing is something for therapy.

I used to be a thief too, but I finally got sober and stopped stealing. I use mindfulness techniques not to steal. When I catch myself thinking about stealing, I practice thought-stopping techniques.

but I would like to get to the bottom of it, it's affecting my life and my relationships with other people very negatively.

I was trying to help you relax some of your guilt and shame. As in, it's OK, you did some shitty stuff, you obviously feel bad about it, but you're fixing it, which is what's important.

But you do seem bothered by it, and now it sounds like you may have some real compulsion? Yeah, that sounds like it needs professional attention. I'm no shrink, obviously, but it also doesn't sound like ADD. And if it is intense shame, that's worthy of therapy too, cause believe me, shame is the source of a lot of misery.

Advice: try to get at least seen by as many different professional sources as you can, cause it's a notorious field, and therapists can be way more whacked than their clients. Feel free to say: that's crazy, I am NOT in a psycho-oral fixation stage, what even is that, that is not helpful, goodbye. Oh, and they can't prescribe.

Thank you for your reply. I eventually did go see my psychiatrist, and he prescribed me Dexedrine spansules, 10 mg. I'm satisfied with it and overall I feel the medication is having noticeable positive effects. I have hope that I wont be like this forever.