• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Finally told my wife. NA is next. Not sure what to expect

ChicagoMike

Greenlighter
After about 2 years of abusing painkillers daily and several attempts to quit on my own, I came to the conclusion last night that it wasn't possible to do without help. My wife had caught me when I first discovered the opiod bliss shortly after we got married and she said she'd leave me if I did this again. That was 10 years ago. We have 3 children together now. Naturally I was terrified to tell her, but knew this was the only way I could stop for good. I had been secretly funneling money from OT I had worked to an account she didn't know about. I figured once I outed myself, I'd have no way of hiding money to buy because she'd be on my ass like white on rice, if she didn't leave me. Naturally, she was super pissed and really hurt. But she hasn't left. I think it's because she didn't catch me this time, I came to her. This has taken my life over. I have not used in 5 days. Today was the first day since I stopped that I woke up feeling hopeful. I didn't have to worry about keeping all of my lies straight or worry about where I was going to get money for my next fix. It felt like a huge brick was lifted by off of my chest. While this all sounds great to me now, I'm terrified. I know what's coming. Being high was my norm and I don't know what to do with myself when I'm not. I know depression is on the horizon. I could never go to meetings before because my wife would have found out. Tomorrow is my first NA meeting. What should I expect? Should I just listen? Do I talk? Do you get a sponsor right out of the gate? I'm picturing a dark, seedy room full of dirty looking junkies. I know that's probably not the case, but I'm scared. The only positive I can find is that I'm excited to be a better husband and father. Be the man I was when I got married. I hope I get there and I hope NA helps.

Last edited:
Congratulations, Mike! And it sounds like you're off to a good start...blowing those secrets away hurts, but I think it's essential.

Before I get to your questions about NA, I have one question of my own. Have you thought about trying a medically-based program in addition to NA? A lot of US hospitals have intensive outpatient rehab programs (IOPs), and these can be very helpful (though admittedly their quality varies a lot). I think that when it comes to recovery, especially early on, getting *all* the help you can find/handle is a good starting point.

As for NA, there are a couple things you might be interested in knowing at this point.

First, different meetings are going to have different "personalities." I recommend shopping around the meetings in your area to find the ones that seem like they're populated by people you'd like to surround yourself with during recovery. I'd say the image you have of a seedy room full of dope fiends is not the norm for NA meetings, but if that's what you find (assuming that's not what you're after), keep looking. In my experience (about 2 years of lots of NA involvement), it's more typical to find the rooms full of people in pretty good spirits. There are likely to be some addicts right off the street. But there will probably be some professional and blue collar folks too.

During your first meetings, I don't think there's a right answer in terms of whether to share or not. If you're moved to share about what's going on, then by all means. But nobody will raise an eyebrow if you just listen.

One thing I do recommend, though it can be a little uncomfortable...at the beginning of each meeting, the chairperson will ask if there are any newcomers or people visiting. This is a good chance to simply raise speak up and say, "hey, I'm Mike and I'm new to NA. I'd be grateful to talk to folks after the meeting." Or something like that. If you don't want to announce that, at least do stick around after the meeting ends to try to talk to folks. The so-called "meeting after the meeting" is a great way to get into the community...it'll just be people standing around, smoking and talking. Very informal.

Another suggestion...the chairperson will ask if anyone would like a meeting list with other addicts' phone numbers. Ask for these as often as you care to. And try to use those phone numbers. This is a notoriously hard/awkward thing to do (cold-calling people). But for me, having that network of phone numbers is one of the best things about NA for people in early recovery. And keep in mind, people don't write their numbers on those lists unless they want people to call them...you won't be bothering anyone. Also, the calls can be brief and informal...along the lines of "hey, I was at a meeting with you the other day. I just wanted to say hey. My day today is going well/bad/hard [whatever fits.]"

The question about finding a sponsor is a tough one. And different people will have very different answers for you. *Personally* I would advise waiting a little while. Getting a bad sponsor match can be really discouraging, so I'd suggest waiting a little while until you have some ideas for whom you'd like to share your recovery with. As I said, though, other people would argue it's best to get a sponsor right away. The truth is, you can always switch sponsors if you find someone else you'd rather work with. But again, having had a bad match with my first sponsor, I think waiting a little while is a good plan.

One last thing...it's inevitable that there will be some jerks at most meetings. Frankly, sometimes there are even people at meetings simply looking for connections or similar. What all this means is that if you don't like the vibe you're getting from somebody, just excuse yourself and talk to someone else. And if anyone talks down to you (alas, some 12-step folks can be very bossy/dogmatic), just remember that they're just a peer and there's no need to take any bullshit to heart. Really all these cautions just suggest that it's healthy to keep in mind that there's no filter on who shows up to meetings and what they say, so you sometimes need to be a little skeptical.

Feel free to ask more questions here if you're unsure about any of this. That's why we're here!

<3
Sim

I really do appreciate your detailed response. I'm going to try to avoid the outpatient treatment right now. I work in the public safety field and would like to keep knowledge of this info to the few people who need to know. I have so much going on between work and taxiing my kids around that I'm not sure I'd be able to squeeze something like that in. If I fail however, that would most likely be on deck. I truly have cut off my ability to purchase pills by outing myself to my wife. Currently, I don't want them but I feel withdrawal creeping in, both mentally and physically. An annoying yet most likely necessary condition of my wife staying by my side is that anything I buy, I debit so she can see it. If I take out cash, I give her receipts for what I buy with it. I gave her access to my "secret" bank account that she previously didn't know about. The fact that I cut off my hands in regards to acquiring pills is both comforting and terrifying. ?

And I was in no place to make demands of her in regards to this, but I did have a condition of my own that I hope she respects. Berating me or starting arguments over my past discretions is off the table. I know this is going to be difficult for her when she sees that account and the thousands and thousands of dollars I threw away. I can't change what I did. I want to look ahead, not behind.

No pressure on the outpatient thing. But I'll add one detail...in the US, your participation in such a program would be strictly guarded by HIPAA. Nevertheless, I totally understand the reluctance. Taking a wait-and-see-if-I-need it is a perfectly valid strategy.

As for stuff with your wife, these kinds of accommodations are a bit mortifying (I'm in much the same boat, FWIW). But in the long run, it sounds like the steps you've taken have a good chance of helping your recovery and starting the process of rebuilding trust.

Best luck, man.
<3
Sim

Thanks! My first NA meeting is in about 7 hours. With each passing hour my anxiety is increasing. ?

I'm forcing myself to go though, no matter what.

Thanks! My first NA meeting is in about 7 hours. With each passing hour my anxiety is increasing. 

I'm forcing myself to go though, no matter what.

It's natural to be nervous. But I bet you'll find it pretty laid back. I hope you'll let us know how it goes.

Good luck.
Sim

You can do it mike! I am sure she will be there for you and understand. No telling how she will take it but I believe that she will be supportive as long as you really want to quit.

Just curious about the chairperson at these meetings. Are they addicts themselves? Employees of the church or building they are held at? Employed by or volunteering for the NA organization?

And thanks Jerry, she's been great so far, though it's only been a few days. I was very happy with how she reacted.

Mike: My experience with NA is that everyone at the meeting, including the chairperson is an addict who is clean, with a desire to get and stay clean. Open meetings allow non addicts to attend and listen, but they do not share, nor do they chair the meeting. You are doing great.

OMG, Mike, your story mirrors mine! My wife caught me with the pills right after we were first married. Five years and two kids later, my roxy habit was out of control and unsustainable and I came clean to her, saying "I need your help and can't do this on my own. I need to come clean with you." I was using my bonus money to fuel my addiction. As soon as I told her, I wish I could have taken it back.

This week I'll go to my first Smart Recovery meeting. We are both in therapy now, separately. And it's like now their is the huge heaviness in our house. I had to give myself rockbottom, and now, knowing that I cannot fuck it up again or it's OVER and I lose my family, I believe I have reached rockbottom. I'm still using kratom though. But I quit booze.

AMAZING... just reread your OP. Same thing as my deal... she didn't catch me this time, I came to her. My wife is like, "You think that gives you a free pass?!"

OMG, Mike, your story mirrors mine! My wife caught me with the pills right after we were first married. Five years and two kids later, my roxy habit was out of control and unsustainable and I came clean to her, saying "I need your help and can't do this on my own. I need to come clean with you." I was using my bonus money to fuel my addiction. As soon as I told her, I wish I could have taken it back.

This week I'll go to my first Smart Recovery meeting. We are both in therapy now, separately. And it's like now their is the huge heaviness in our house. I had to give myself rockbottom, and now, knowing that I cannot fuck it up again or it's OVER and I lose my family, I believe I have reached rockbottom. I'm still using kratom though. But I quit booze.

AMAZING... just reread your OP. Same thing as my deal... she didn't catch me this time, I came to her. My wife is like, "You think that gives you a free pass?!"

Just got the chills man, eerily similar. And yes, I know what you mean about the "heaviness" in the house. I'm just trying to stay positive and I'm letting her feelings flow at me. If she wants to be angry with me, I let her be angry. If she wants to feel compassion towards me, even better. She's understandably on a roller coaster of emotions as well, just keep that in mind. It's difficult at times, because you feel like shit, but then I realize what I've done and I just let her go.

Just got the chills man, eerily similar. And yes, I know what you mean about the "heaviness" in the house. I'm just trying to stay positive and I'm letting her feelings flow at me. If she wants to be angry with me, I let her be angry. If she wants to feel compassion towards me, even better. She's understandably on a roller coaster of emotions as well, just keep that in mind. It's difficult at times, because you feel like shit, but then I realize what I've done and I just let her go.

Right. I'm trying to do that, but I also spent a couple weeks nonstop just talking about it and I was getting the feeling that she was simply overwhelmed by all this stuff I was throwing at her – suboxone, kratom, short-acting, long-acting, etc. It's like she is now a part of this crazy addict world she knew nothing about. My wife was/is so upset about how naive she was. Was that something discussed in your house?

She says she is going to have a hard time trusting me ever, because she'll never know when I've relapsed "again." I'm hoping there will never be another again, but one day at a time... I mean, for years, I was using oxy right under her nose and she had no idea. Ugh.

Right. I'm trying to do that, but I also spent a couple weeks nonstop just talking about it and I was getting the feeling that she was simply overwhelmed by all this stuff I was throwing at her – suboxone, kratom, short-acting, long-acting, etc. It's like she is now a part of this crazy addict world she knew nothing about. My wife was/is so upset about how naive she was. Was that something discussed in your house?

She says she is going to have a hard time trusting me ever, because she'll never know when I've relapsed "again." I'm hoping there will never be another again, but one day at a time... I mean, for years, I was using oxy right under her nose and she had no idea. Ugh.

Lol, I wish I could show you my text exchanges with mine from just an hour ago. Overwhelmed is a word she uses a lot. She doesn't even like taking a single aspirin. She's knows nothing about this. So yes, once I pulled the curtain back , her mind was absolutely blown. It's a lot to process, especially if you know nothing about the nightmare we are living. I was high literally every day. I was coaching my kids basketball games on this shit. I literally couldn't function without it and she was none the wiser. I did dip into my main account a lot, but I masked that as a gambling problem, which she bought (I used to bet sports a lot, but was conservative with the amounts). She was pissed money was going out, but a lot less pissed than she would've been if she had known the truth. I can't blame her for not trusting me. I lied to her literally every day to keep this hidden. I can only hope that she loves me enough to help me through this. My 5 year old crawled into bed with me last night and said "Daddy, I want to be just like you when I grow up." Now, picture what someone's face would look like if you could see the exact moment that their heart broke. That's what mine must have looked like at that moment. I don't want him to be like me. I told him "Buddy, I want you to be better than me. You can do anything you put your mind to. Reach for the stars." Then I proceeded to go into the bathroom and sob like a baby. I need to beat this, and you do too. It's possible, let's do it together.

Last edited:
Lol, I wish I could show you my text exchanges with mine from just an hour ago. Overwhelmed is a word she uses a lot. She doesn't even like taking a single aspirin. She's knows nothing about this. So yes, once I pulled the curtain back , her mind was absolutely blown. It's a lot to process, especially if you know nothing about the nightmare we are living. I was high literally every day. I was coaching my kids basketball games on this shit. I literally couldn't function without it and she was none the wiser. I did dip into my main account a lot, but I masked that as a gambling problem, which she bought (I used to bet sports a lot, but was conservative with the amounts). She was pissed money was going out, but a lot less pissed than she would've been if she had known the truth. I can't blame her for not trusting me. I lied to her literally every day to keep this hidden. I can only hope that she loves me enough to help me through this. My 5 year old crawled into bed with me last night and said "Daddy, I want to be just like you when I grow up." Now, picture what someone's face would look like if you could see the exact moment that their heart broke. That's what mine must have looked like at that moment. I don't want him to be like me. I told him "Buddy, I want you to be better than me. You can do anything you put your mind to. Reach for the stars." Then I proceeded to go into the bathroom and sob like a baby. I need to beat this, and you do too. It's possible, let's do it together.

Just cried reading this... and here I was, thinking I was all cried out (I cried a lot those first couple weeks). I can't believe how much your story mirrors mine. My son will be five this year and freakin lives for me... won't go to sleep without me. And daughter is almost three. I knew I had to change my life when I'd be inebriated and not remembering going to sleep, just waking up in my kids bed.

I feel ya, ChicagoMike... In my back pocket, before I came clean, I had the gambling excuse lined up for when my money ran out. (I too like the action. Small stakes stuff and lots of daily fantasy. Like you coaching, I did everything with my little blue helpers in my little "pill pocket." Family events, travel for work, important meetings, T-ball practice for my son... everything.

I knew I needed to pump the breaks when I actually considered sniffing the Big H. I want to live. For my kids... see them grow up... be there for them wholly, and healthy, not thinking in the back of my mind how many pills I have left and when I can get more. We need to beat this indeed and yes, let's do it together.

Hey,

Ive been to lots of different fellowship meetings and I remember how nervous I was. The good news is that they will be really welcoming.

Although you have already gone?if so, let us know how you got on.

Im new to this site. Back on heroin around 7 weeks and cant get a day clean (yet). 5 days is a long time off painkillers. And like you, I get that depression. Like an emptiness that the drugs filled. Infact, I delude myself that I am nicer when on drugs HA
yes, lying in bed depressed, robbing, lying, isolating, what a great person haha

anyway thanks for your post

K

Mike, I just reread your last post... I love a good cry first thing in the morning! haha. For so long, I couldn't cry, now I'm crying seemingly out of nowhere, all the time.

Let's feel better today. We're on the right path. Last night, me and the wife hardly spoke. The heaviness was there. I shared with her this AM about the support I'm getting online, which was helpful, and opened the doors to some real talk and more tears.

I'm loving the comraderie on this thread. You are all doing an amazing thing, taking ownership of your problems and attacking them head-on. We never know how other people (like out spouses) will react to our choices, but it's definitely the case that the best way to earn back trust (and our own feelings of worth and joy) is by being honest with ourselves and im. And that's exactly what each of you is doing.

Keep it up, gentlemen (and ladies). I'm very proud to be part of this community today.
<3
Sim

Mike, I just reread your last post... I love a good cry first thing in the morning! haha. For so long, I couldn't cry, now I'm crying seemingly out of nowhere, all the time.

Let's feel better today. We're on the right path. Last night, me and the wife hardly spoke. The heaviness was there. I shared with her this AM about the support I'm getting online, which was helpful, and opened the doors to some real talk and more tears.

That's good to hear buddy, that you were able to dialogue some his morning. I wish I could. My wife was supportive but cautious the first few days. I went to this meeting last night and came home excited to talk about it only to run into a brick wall with her. She half heartedly asked me about it and was cold. What's messed up is, I'm finally doing the right thing and was so optimistic and that feeling was totally snuffed out. I slept on the couch. Hopefully I can mend this with time. I really don't blame her, I just wish it was different.

And I'm going to try to feel better today with you! I'm off of work today and this was always my favorite time to use, at home by myself earlier in the day. I planned on going for a walk but it's gloomy and rainy. I might crack open this NA book I got last night!

Last edited: