Recruiting Survey: knowledge and awareness of Ketamine and NPS

lisalione

Greenlighter
I would be grateful if you could spare 10 minutes to complete this drugs awareness survey.

https://herts.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/npsandketamine

I am conducting research at the University of Hertfordshire into knowledge and awareness of novel psychoactive substances, NPS (formerly known as 'legal highs') and other drugs such as ketamine.

All data collected in this survey will be held anonymously and securely. No personal data is asked for or retained.

Please share with your networks.

Many thanks,

Dr Lisa Lione.
University of Hertfordshire.

I would be grateful if you could spare 10 minutes to complete this drugs awareness survey.

https://herts.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/npsandketamine

I am conducting research at the University of Hertfordshire into knowledge and awareness of novel psychoactive substances, NPS (formerly known as 'legal highs') and other drugs such as ketamine.

All data collected in this survey will be held anonymously and securely. No personal data is asked for or retained.

Please share with your networks.

Many thanks,

Dr Lisa Lione.
University of Hertfordshire.

Welcome to BL Dr. Lione! :)

I am probably just being over reactive when I say this, but I feel like there are some serious methodological issues with this stuff. Particularly, how a wide variety of substance with disparate chemical makeups and a wide range of possible effects and potential harms are all lumped together into one category as so called "NPS".

Now, this clearly isn't the fault of the study's author. I think I understand why it is written as it is - because of the specific ways (for better or, more often, worse) drug policy and law is written and the inherently cumbersome nature of "NPS" type legislation (particularly in the UK, but in the US as well) - but if you could explain a bit more about the study, what you hope to achieve with it (e.g. what it's utility and what the value of the data collection would be in terms of), I'd really appreciate it.

I'd be happy to complete it if you would explain a bit more about the study's methodology (and theoretical framework and what the practical application of the result may be).

Ketamine is a bit of a pet dearie of mine, as NMDAr antagonists have placed a crucial role in my recovery from severe opioid use disorder and establishing mental health and general wellbeing, so I would like to help you out by filling this out.

EDIT: LOL yeah, I'm just being weird. But I would still love to hear more about the methodology and how data from this study may be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello.
Thank-you for your interest in my research survey.
I am less interested in NPS class effects and harms and more interested in 'NPS' awareness, use, risk perceptions and whether these are affected by gender, age, sexual orientation, level of education. I ran a similar survey 2 years ago and would like to compare the UK NPS responses for both surveys to see if there has been any impact of the Psychoactive Substances Act on awareness, use, risk perception.
The other section of the survey is focused on ketamine users, age of first use, motivations for use, settings of use, combinations of drugs use, dose, frequency and source of ketamine. This data will link with basic research I am undertaking on the harmful bladder effects of ketamine and its legal derivatives. I am pleased to hear the beneficial effects you have experienced with ketamine use- it is a fascinating medicine and this work is very relevant right now given its recent longer term therapeutic use for depression and neuropathic pain.
I do hope you complete the survey and share with your networks.
Best wishes,
Lisa.

Thank you for expanding a bit Lisa. I look forward to completing the survey later today :)