• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Cassandra Sainsbury's cocaine smuggling case 'could be closed in 90 days if she admit

045824.jpg

She would of had better luck putting the coke in her pie brand

Colombia’s cheap cocaine attracts western tourists

COLOMBIA is a white powder paradise with an increasing number of western tourists visiting the South American country solely for its cheap cocaine.

Dealers loiter on the dimly-lit nightclub strips waiting to target Aussies and other westerners hungry for the drug.

It’s no secret you can easily purchase lines on the streets of Colombia. But the notorious cocaine trade came under the spotlight again this week after South Australian woman Cassie Sainsbury was arrested in Bogota.

The 22-year-old was found with 5.8kg of cocaine in her luggage, packed inside packages she says she thought were headphones she bought for family and friends back home.

As risky as it is to purchase cocaine in South America, tourists continue to arrive in large numbers with one purpose — try it, despite the dangers.

‘IT’S EMBARRASSING’

One Australian woman who spent about six months backpacking around South America told news.com.au cocaine was really easy to get your hands on. She said it was sold for around $7 to $15 a gram, as opposed to $300 in Australia.

“Dealers hang out around popular party hostels and get a lot of business from westerners,” she said.

“I did meet a few Australians who travelled to Colombia for the sole reason of doing lots of coke. It was embarrassing to be around people like that as they gave Australians such a bad name.”

CONT -

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...s/news-story/421cbab7b3bcb2ce666785ffe8aca6cc

Not just the cocaine, the woman are hot too. I'd love to go there. lol.

Colombian Cassie wants YOU to pay for her legal fight

Taxpayers could end up paying for the legal aid of accused cocaine smuggler Cassandra Sainsbury under a government scheme designed to help Australians facing serious criminal charges overseas.

The 22-year-old's Bogota lawyer confirmed he and Miss Sainsbury filled out a form to apply for financial assistance as her legal costs mount, News Corp reports.

'They are looking for state funds in Australia for the legal costs, so she was signing a form for that, to put before the government there,' Colombian attorney Orlando Herron said.

'I have no idea how much they are looking for. It is to cover the lawyer's fees in Australia.'

The Attorney-General's Department may help Australians facing serious criminal charges in an overseas country with the cost of their defence.

Applications can be made to the department for grants to cover legal fees and other expenses - which can often run into hundreds and thousands of dollars.

It is only granted to Australian citizens who are facing either imprisonment for 20 years or more or the death penalty in a foreign country.

According to the guidelines, the government can cover costs associated with legal defence of up to $290 per hour, psychological treatment of up to $2000 and counsel fees of up to $3600 per day.

It can also cover the costs of travelling and flying out legal counsel from Australia to aid Miss Sainsbury during her trial.

The financial scheme paid part of the long-running legal costs of high profile drug smuggling cases including the two executed Bali Nine members Andrew Chan and Myuran Sukumaran and Schapelle Corby.

The accused drug smuggler is locked in El Buen Pastor prison - where she has been since her arrest on April 11 - and has been advised to plead guilty to avoid the maximum sentence of 25 years.

But Miss Sainsbury has maintained her innocence and claims she was tricked into carrying the 5.8kg of cocaine which she believed were separately wrapped headphones.

Vision from inside Bogota Airport obtained by Nine News shows Miss Sainsbury being led away just moments after handing her passport to an immigration officer on April 11.

The 22-year-old Australian woman had earlier checked-in for her flight to London and was being questioned by the officer who had already been given her travel details when she was intercepted.

Miss Sainsbury had initially appeared calm throughout her exchange with the guard, even smiling and chatting with the officer.

Her mood changed when she was asked why her ticket, which was purchased by a mystery person in Hong Kong, had been bought just hours earlier, before being handed over to a supervisor and marched into a secure area for further questioning.

Staff at the hotel where Miss Sainsbury spent her last night of freedom said she was accompanied by a well-dressed Colombian with a stylish haircut and dark skin everywhere she went.

Hotel manager Ingrid Hernandez said Miss Sainsbury had just the one visitor during her stay.

'Supposedly she met him around the hotel where she was staying, in the first few days when she arrived here,' Ms Hernandez said, according to the The Daily Telegraph.

'She didn't speak Spanish so was supported by him. He helped her, accompanied her, they went everywhere together.

Miss Sainsbury told family she called the man who gave her the packages when she was arrested, but he hung up on her and reportedly destroyed the phone.

She said his name was Angelo, but she had no further information.

The hotel manager said they had no record of the mystery man either.

'He came a few times, the receptionists told me, but we don't have a record of him because he didn't stay the night. She said this guy was very friendly, he spoke English and Spanish,' she said.

The hotel's deputy manager also saw Miss Sainsbury with a black mystery man.

'I did see her one time with a man. The man, he was tall, he was black and they were talking in the lobby before they left the hotel,' they told Nine News.

Staff also said she spent most of her time inside the room of the hotel, which was situated in a notorious downtown Bogota neighbourhood.

She is reportedly 'permanently crying' inside notorious Colombian prison El Buen Pastor where she remains behind bars.

Sources from inside the prison said Miss Sainsbury was not in a good mental state inside the small, overcrowded cell where she was kept with other prisoners.

Source: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...axpayers-fund-Cassie-Sainsbury-legal-aid.html

Colombian police refuse to hunt down mystery 'stylish' man at a hotel who Cassie Sainsbury says 'tricked her into attempting to smuggle cocaine'

Colombian police are reluctant to hunt down a mystery man who Australian Cassie Sainsbury says fooled her into attempting to smuggle 5.8kg of cocaine.
Hidden camera footage shows a man visiting the 22-year-old Adelaide woman in the Bogota hotel where she stayed in April.
The closed-circuit TV images even showed him asking the hotel receptionist to see her, the Sunday Telegraph reports.

This is also the only line of defence Miss Sainsbury has offered in her defence.
However, a spokesman for Colombia's Attorney General told the newspaper police had not viewed the footage or contacted the hotel.

Hotelier Ingrid Hernandez confirmed to News Corp the police were yet to ask her for the footage of the well-presented man with a dark complexion, known as Angelo.
'I will not release the images until I have some kind of official order from the police,' she said.

Miss Sainsbury has told her family she thought she was transporting 18 packages of headphones, as she denies the charge of attempting to smuggle 5.8kg of cocaine.
The former personal trainer has maintained a man, who she only knew as Angelo, gave her plastic-wrapped packages after he had befriended her during her stay in Bogota between April 3 and 11.
She has told her lawyers she had contacted him on a mobile phone number that is no longer connected.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...mystery-man-Sainsbury-case.html#ixzz4gRNdJlRE

Cassie’s family ‘sells TV tell-all’

A DAY after it was revealed she was seeking taxpayer funds to help her get out of a Colombian jail, reports have emerged that Cassie Sainsbury’s family has sold her story to a TV network.

Channel Nine program 60 Minutes is believed to have bought an interview with Lisa Evans and Khala Sainsbury, the mother and sister of the accused South Australian drug smuggler, the Daily Telegraph reports.

News of a deal comes as the first photo emerged of the Adelaide woman smiling from inside her prison cell in Bogota, where she has been held for the past month after being caught with nearly 6kg of cocaine in her luggage.

The picture was aired by the TV network last night and a spokesman for the broadcaster told News Corp Australia it was sourced separately to a deal negotiated between Sainsbury’s family.

60 Minutes infamously paid disgraced health blogger and cancer faker Belle Gibson $75,000 to tell her story, and in November attracted criticism again when it reportedly won a bidding war with rival Channel 7 to secure an interview with Gable Tostee, who was cleared of the balcony death of his Tinder date.

The picture of Sainsbury, taken yesterday from inside the El Buen Pastor women’s prison, shows Sainsbury wearing a floral print dress alongside an unidentified fellow female prisoner who isn’t named.

Sainsbury is smiling in the picture and appears to be in good health despite her family’s fears for her safety and reports she has been crying every day since her arrest.

Nine News reports that a prison guard source said she is co-operating better with prison guards now and willingly attends prison roll call at 7.30am daily.

She is reportedly being given extra cigarettes and phone calls home. Sainsbury was refusing to leave her jail cell, but Nine News reports she is slowly adjusting to life inside.

A court date has still not been finalised for her, as she awaits her fate.

Source: http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...n/news-story/ed93d9a87c2a1eaebbda4fce16dfc95f

The first pictures of accused cocaine smuggler Cassandra Sainsbury inside her jail cell have emerged.
The 22-year-old was seen smiling and standing next to an unknown brunette woman in a white-walled room covered in photos of loved ones.
She wore a simple short-sleeved top printed with a black and red floral pattern, given to her by another inmate as a welcome present in the snap shown on 9 News.

4015B2C400000578-4483916-image-m-4_1494235163196.jpg

CONT -

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...assie-Sainsbury-bars.html?ito=social-facebook

Boy, how the tabloids love to string up people associated with drugs.
What a bunch of low life hacks :(

I wonder if that's her novia

Sounds like she was deffo living a double life. She happens to visit chi a a d her ticket is purchased in HK?

You don't just waltz into Bogota and happen to get over ten lbs of coke packed to transport. She got caught muling. It's sad but I'm willing to bet she knows other ppl who maybe have done something similar. That coke was going to so.eone, I doubt she would be able to shift that much weight. What would that fetch in Australia? 5.8 kg

Fuck this stupid bitch, her terrible family, and 60 Minutes. Bunch of low life dildos. I bet none of us are even old enough to remember when 60 Minutes was a respected show.

CCTV footage of mystery man in Cassandra Sainsbury drug case seized by detectives

Police in Colombia are reviewing CCTV footage of a man seen at the hotel of accused Australian drug mule Cassandra Sainsbury as her family prepares to arrive in the country from Australia.

Local police believe the man could hold information relevant to the case of the Ms Sainsbury, who was arrested at El Dorado International Airport on April 12 after 5.8 kilograms of cocaine was allegedly found hidden inside 18 headphone boxes in her suitcase.

Ms Sainsbury's family left Adelaide bound for Bogota yesterday morning, as video obtained by News Corp showed the 22-year-old and another inmate laughing at cameras at the notorious Bogota’s El Buen Pastor prison.

CONT at http://www.9news.com.au/national/20...eized-in-cassie-drug-case#M5E7ZcHAbt0eCD9w.99

Mother and sister of 'Colombian Cassie' Sainsbury, 22, arrive in Bogota with a 60 Minutes team who will film her story for '$1 million'

After almost a month since her arrest, Cassie's Sainsbury's family have touched down in Colombia to visit their daughter in prison.
On Thursday morning, the accused cocaine smuggler's mother Lisa Evans and sister Khala Sainsbury were seen at Bogota’s El Dorado International Airport.
They refused to comment on their daughter's situation to waiting media as they walked through the airport, but were accompanied by a crew from Channel Nine's 60 Minutes.
The family have reportedly negotiated an 'eye-watering' sum just under $1 million for a TV deal the program.

Channel Nine journalist Liam Bartlett arrived at the same airport just hours earlier.
While it has not been revealed how much the show paid for the interview, 60 Minutes paid disgraced health blogger Belle Gibson $75,000 for an interview in 2016.

News of the deal comes as the first photo of Miss Sainsbury from inside her Colombia prison surfaces, with her smiling and waving to camera crews.
Joined by another female inmate - believed to be another English speaking accused drug trafficker - Cassie soaked up the limelight as she pointed her finger at TV crews, at one point bursting into laughter as reporters asked her if she was okay.
Moments later friend held out a sign reading: 'Cassandra Pide Libertad Immediata', which translates in English to: 'Cassandra asks for freedom immediately'.

Cont - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ster-arrive-Bogota-airport.html#ixzz4gpabgXrI

Is she guilty? Why Cassie Sainsbury needs to play her cards very carefully

If a national poll were held tomorrow on Cassie Sainsbury’s guilt, the result would be decisive.

In politics, they’d call it a landslide margin.

Malcolm Turnbull or Bill Shorten could only fantasise about that sort of result – it would be enough to warrant a post-Budget cigar.

Inside Buen Pastor Prison, Cassie Sainsbury is said to be smoking regularly. It’s a strange habit for a personal trainer.

This week she was filmed laughing and playing up for news cameras from her cell block balcony. Even through the prison bars and hanging laundry, Cassie was clearly smiling.

It’s another example of strange behaviour from a young woman who claims to be unfairly incarcerated.

Prison sources say Cassie should be careful about drawing attention to herself. Local inmates already resent foreigners as they often receive better treatment inside. “Gringos” typically get extra phones calls and are allowed more visitors.

Politicians and justice officials are watching Cassie closely as well.

Cont at http://www.9news.com.au/world/2017/...ade-back-in-the-spotlight#WH11oE3wopeK2IBP.99

Cassandra Sainsbury says she was ‘tricked’ into posing for photo in jail

636bdf894a64c744af784edef3bc9d57

THE first picture of Cassandra Sainsbury inside a Colombian jail where she is being detained has caused a “big problem” for her, the South Australian woman said.
Speaking exclusively to News Corp Australia, Sainsbury said she was “tricked” into a photo that became one of the first of her in prison.

“People are taking advantage of the fact that I don’t speak Spanish. Somebody tricked me into a photo recently which was sent to the media which was the first photo of me in prison,” she said.
“So I didn’t give permission for that to go out nor did I know that it was going out. And then the girl that took it and the other girls that were involved in it, they’re completely denying it which I don’t even know why they’re bothering to deny it.

The 22-year-old is being detained at El Buen Pastor women’s prison in Bogota having been caught with nearly six kilograms of cocaine in her luggage. She has maintained her innocence and said she did not know it was concealed inside the headphone sets she purportedly bought for her friends.

Sainsbury also revealed her family had sold her story to 60 Minutes without her permission and she was unhappy with her lawyer for also having spoken to the media.
She said the jail situation was “chaos” and she is being abused by local women because of the media attention her case has attracted.

“They were pushing me around, telling me I am problematic and that foreigners are no good,” she said.
“Once I’ve been sentenced, sure I’m happy to talk about what happened, because my case isn’t in jeopardy then,” she said.

“What’s happened has happened. If I’m guilty or innocent, nothing is at risk.”

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...SF&utm_source=News.com.au&utm_medium=Facebook

My Colombian prison hell: Cassie Sainsbury reveals she hopes to be freed ‘within months’, is pushed around by inmates and STILL can’t find a lawyer she trusts

Accused drug smuggler Cassie Sainsbury has revealed she hopes to be set free from her Colombian jail cell within months, but still can't find a lawyer she trusts.
The 22-year-old from Adelaide was nabbed with 5.8kg of cocaine hidden in the packaging of 15 headphone boxes at Colombia's El Dorado International Airport.

Sainsbury is now fearing for her safety after falling prey to fellow El Buen Pastor prison inmates who push her around and berate her in Spanish.
In an exclusive prison interview with News Corp, Sainsbury slammed her first lawyer Orlando Herran for talking to the media about her case, which she said 'wasn't OK.'

'I don't know what I'm planning to do because I'm still trying to find a lawyer that I can trust,' she told the publication.
It appears that Sainsbury also has no interest in retaining Adelaide lawyer Steven Kerry, who last week fronted Australian media with her fiance Scott Broadbridge and claimed to be acting as her second legal representative.

When asked how long she thought she would be behind bars, Sainsbury responded: 'I don't know. I'm hoping it's months but we'll see how it all goes.'
She also lamented the 'horrible' prison food and claimed she was being deprived of medical attention.
Despite her struggle, the personal trainer remains hopeful police will track down the mystery man she claims tricked her into becoming a drug mule.

CONT - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-struggle-Colombian-prison.html#ixzz4gtvFvJRJ

Cassandra Sainsbury knew nothing about family members selling story to Australian media

CASSANDRA Sainsbury had no idea her family signed a controversial deal with 60 Minutes to tell the inside story of her Colombian hell.
Speaking exclusively to News Corp Australia from the Bogota prison where she is being detained, the South Australian woman said she was shocked to learn about the deal and they should have asked her permission first.
“My mum and sister haven’t told me anything of what they’re doing,” she said.

“They’re just going out and doing it on their own. That’s my problem.”
“It’s my story. They need to get permission from me to sell my story.”

The former personal trainer, 22, also said she had not seen her mother, Lisa Evans and sister, Khala, since they arrived and wanted to speak to her fiance, Scott Broadbridge first.
Broadbridge has reportedly signed his own deal for an undisclosed figure with Seven’s Sunday Night.

CONT -

http://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/re...a/news-story/ce68068d5c112a5b25d55814174f65e9

Walking the line in Bogota as a 20-something traveller

THE reggae music was pumping, crowds of young people chattered in jeans and stylish tops and our group of Aussies and Europeans were sat at a bar table drinking rum and cokes.
But this wasn’t quite like a night out anywhere else: someone was openly rolling and smoking a joint right next to us.

I was a naive 23-year-old in Bogota back in 2008, just a year older than South Australian accused drug mule Cassie Sainsbury, who is now locked up in a jail in the Colombian capital.
While some were flabbergasted at her cheerful smiles as she peered through the bars of El Buen Pastor women’s prison, I was less surprised.
Your preconceptions fall away fast over there.

I had been in South America for several months, and while I’d vowed I wouldn’t go to Colombia or travel alone, all that changed once you were in the rhythm. After my initial travel partner went home, I joined some English girls we’d met to hike through cloud forest to Peru’s Machu Picchu, hung out in Lima on my own and signed up to “help” a tribe with their planting and building work in the Amazon for a few weeks.

So when another friend arrived to join me in Quito, Ecuador, to her concern, my first words were: “We’re going to Colombia.”
Travellers at almost every hostel had made it clear it was one of the best parts of the so-called “gringo trail” — the typical tourist route through South America. The people were charming, the landscape (particularly the Caribbean coast, where we slept in hammocks and picked mangoes from trees) devastatingly beautiful and the culture unspoilt by too many visitors.
It was all true.

Colombians hate that their nation is known mainly for its cocaine industry, and are eager to show how much more there is to their rich history and way of life. In fact, there’s such a conservative streak, we found ourselves dragged into a road and sprayed with foam by a giant cigarette when we stumbled on an anti-smoking march while innocently puffing away.

But there’s a reason for this militancy, hidden beneath a cornucopia of colourful parades, pastel-painted houses and funky graffiti.
Cocaine is everywhere, and incredibly cheap. Even a street cleaner offered to sell us some at a cheap price.

You become increasingly blase. We didn’t deviate from the approved “safe” tourist route. After our initial trepidation at stop-offs in Ipiales and shady Cali, Bogota felt glitzy and sophisticated.
Sure, the streets were narrow and cobbled, the bars and clubs run down and our hostel filled with ancient furniture, but there was the wide, grand Bolivar square, well-dressed groups of people hanging out at restaurants and a fascinating police museum with a Pablo Escobar exhibit.

I still remember gleefully running behind the bars of the fake jail for photos.
While my friend spent time with an English guy she’d met, I brunched with Aussies and a German girl from the hostel and joined a sociable local guy called Miguel for lunch at a trendy restaurant with his flatmates.
Ms Sainsbury’s story of being unwittingly duped into carrying 5.8 kilograms of cocaine into Bogota airport by the mysterious Angelo sounds absurd, but Miguel became our group’s great friend, taking us on nights out, acting as translator and showing us around. Cassie is smiling because the cliche is true: people there are nice.

CONT -

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...r/news-story/b518fde6a6f3e9ccd4cb513b3b6a634b

Cassie Sainsbury: Top anti-narcotics cop explains how drug mules are tricked

THE top anti-narcotics cop behind the arrest of Cassie Sainsbury says there is a specific technique drug traffickers use to trick people like her into doing the crime.
Colonel Rodrigo Soler, the commander of the anti-drugs police at El Dorado International Airport in Bogota where the Australian woman was arrested last month, said agents from drug syndicates preyed on people going through financial hardship to transport their drugs overseas.

Ms Sainsbury, 22, was caught with 5.8 kilograms of cocaine found in 18 individually wrapped packages inside her suitcase and was understood to be travelling from Colombia to London.
Ms Sainsbury said she had no idea there was cocaine in her luggage.

After her arrest, it was revealed that Ms Sainsbury left a trail of debt behind in her home town in South Australia, which she fled suddenly after her personal training business failed.
Colonel Soler said economic problems were a key reason drug mules did the crime.

He said traffickers convinced naive people that smuggling the drugs would be easy because staff and police at the airport were in on the job and had been paid off.
“The owner of the drug who convinces the people to smuggle the drugs, he says everything is fixed up. Everything in the airport is fixed. Everything is easy,” Colonel Soler told news.com.au in Bogota via a translator.
“Just be quiet; everything has been arranged, both here (in Bogota) and there (at the final destination).”

Colonel Soler said this story, coupled with the mule’s economic hardship, meant they “accept easily and then fall into this situation”.
“Trafficking takes advantage of innocent people, younger people like Cassandra, also older people.”

Ms Sainsbury denies the drugs charges and maintains she was set up by a man she met in Colombia, who she knew only as Angelo.
She says she thought the packages were headphones she had bought for a bargain price to give as gifts at her upcoming wedding.
But Colonel Soler does not buy this story.

“This is what 90 per cent of people who are caught for this kind of crime say,” he said. “They say that they were set up, they were trapped, they were cheated, they didn’t know about (the drugs).
“They majority also end up accepting responsibility (for the crime) because they say they have economic problems, family problems, they have no job.”

CONT -

http://www.news.com.au/travel/trave...d/news-story/f55d1a007d109d602d1cfb64f785f92a

Cassie Sainsbury: Scott Broadbridge tells all to Channel 7’s Sunday Night

THE fiance of accused drug mule Cassie Sainsbury has broken his silence to reveal how it was actually Australians who lured her into danger.
In an exclusive interview with Sunday Night, Scott Broadbridge also reveals more detail about the mystery man behind the deal.
Mr Broadbridge has told journalist Denham Hitchcock his fiancee’s flight to Colombia was a surprise to him.

In a teaser for the program which is due to air this Sunday, the program promises to reveal more about the mystery man behind the deal, a man Cassie has identified only as Angelo or Tom.
Mr Broadbridge says he also saw payments related to the disastrous deal.
The couple were finally reunited after five weeks following Ms Sainsbury’s arrest at El Dorado International Airport at Easter.

Ms Sainsbury remains behind bars in Bogota’s El Buen Pastor prison, where she claims she is being bullied by other inmate. Prison guards have accused her of lying and acting up for the cameras, a constant presence in Bogota since her arrest.
The South Australian maintains she was befriended in the Colombian capital by a mystery man who visited her at the hotel she was staying and made her an offer too good to refuse: 18 sets of headphones at bargain prices.
But inside those 18 headphone cases carried in her suitcase, airport police found 5.8 kilograms of cocaine.

Ms Sainsbury says Angelo set her up and that she had no idea the cases contained illicit drugs.
Her incarceration has triggered a TV network battle, with Mr Broadbridge doing an exclusive deal with Channel Seven’s Sunday Night and Cassie’s sister Khala and mother Lisa Evans signing with rival network Nine’s 60 Minutes.
Ms Sainsbury told news.com.au from inside prison last week it was her story to tell.
Sunday Night airs this Sunday 8.30 only on Channel 7.

http://www.news.com.au/entertainmen...t/news-story/92a22ba37ee80b942900105e37c81cde