• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Support for Pregnant Women (Opiates/Opioids)

Nice just do it for the kid. Also it seems like you don't need to be dependant after this so why not just take the done or whatever one day and out 2 days in between next use. You'll get much higher and have no withdrawal symptoms.

Horrible advice.

Stay strong! I'm on day 3 of H wd & finally feeling somewhat better. I can't imagine being you :/ good choice not having a methadone baby tho

Clearly an uninformed comment.

Listen to your doctor !!!!!!! Your baby is fine you are not going to want to cold turkey this but 30 mg is a small threshold dose . So wds will not be as bad but cold turkey is always hardest and you doctor is a doctor for a reason and this is a very good example of utilizing your doctors knowledge . Ask your doctor theee questions if you listen to your doctor you can probably low dose for two weeks and be ok but still this is about what your doc says especially because you are pregnant . Much love

This is what you should be doing.

I have known many women who took methadone or buprenorphine (w/o naloxone) while pregnant and without exception they ended up with beautiful, healthy babies.

I assume your in your first trimester OP? Consider that it isn't the methadone that is harming your child (neonatal abstinence syndrome is easy controlled in infants and in many cases breast milk (containing traces of methadone) is enough to wean them off without significant discomfort.

What harms the developing child is the stress the body undergoes withdrawing from opioids, the methadone itself isn't the problem in terms of your newborn's health. There is a reason they fast track pregnant mothers onto methadone from other opioids after all. It's been done for decades and there is nothing to suggest it is problematic when handled properly by medical professionals.

If you do decide to detox, which is by far more dangerous to your developing zigote/fetus (withdrawal and possibility of relapse after detoxing), you will have to do it in the first trimester to avoid chances of causing significant harm. But reall this is just not a good idea given your situation.

You'd be faaar better off maintaining on a low dose until giving birth, having your infant treated for it IF it turns out to be necessary, and dealing with the detox after your dealt with bringing your child into the world. Frankly it's recommended mothers stay on methadone for a period of time after giving birth, in case the withdrawal leads to nasty PPD.

OP, you should your on/gyn working with your methadone clinic to help them direct your care.

Considering you're pregnant you will have to be extra careful about any medication or drugs you use to help with this. Per my post in your other thread though, getting off methadone is really not the best idea at the moment.

agreed it was probably a horrible idea, luckily the day before yesterday my withdrawls stopped and i havent had any since, and i went to an obgyn and the baby is fine. yeah it was probably extremely stupid to do, the reason i wanted to do it now though is the babies embillical cord doesnt attach until your 12 weeks so if i did take medication for it it wouldnt be getting any, but i made it through with only using cannabis. :) thank you guys though for all your help. and it makes me feel good i was strong enough to do it on my own eventhough i was pretty sure i was gonna die half way through. lol

Well that is good to hear. I hope you continue to take good care of yourself :)

I agree with TPD. I just want to say I was shooting heroin the first few months of my first pregnancy(didn't know I was pregnant until 3 months because my periods were always random) as soon as I found out I went to rehab and got on methadone. To me the methadone was the best and safest choice. I tried very hard to keep my dose low. When my son was born I was on 55mg and he was fine. He didn't need morphine taper or anything and I didn't even breastfeed. He's now 5 and he's very smart, healthy, happy and he's actually in the 95th percentile for height. My second son is 1... he was born when I was on 80mg and was also fine. He unlike my first did show mild symptoms but they kept close watch on him and he didn't end up needing tapering or anything either. This was just my experience. Was it ideal to have my children while on methadone? No it wasn't. But for my situation I felt it was the best thing to do for me. Anyways good luck to you, I hope everything is alright. And yes please listen to your dr. I understand your concerns about your baby trust me, I was so worried about mine too. Let us know how everything is going.

The OP has since gotten on methadone and seeming through the acute withdrawal and says she's doing well, so I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for her <3

Oh that's good. Thanks TPD you always give everyone great advice/info. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed for her too ❤️

yesh so much! and if you take enough it helps you sleep too. its like the perfect thing to use during withdrawals.

it also helps with the mental stuff like the anxiety and depression. especially the anxiety

Panda, I'm going to move this to Sober Living where you can get the support you need. Hang in there!

Just for the record opiate withdrawal drastically raises the risk of miscarriage. The doctor was absolutely right to not want to taper OP off methadone or have her withdrawal at all.

Just for the record opiate withdrawal drastically raises the risk of miscarriage. The doctor was absolutely right to not want to taper OP off methadone or have her withdrawal at all
Wow, that's interesting. I never knew that

I was told the same thing with my baby. They' were ready in case they would need extra help when he arrived! But the Lord was watching him and he's 4 now and completey above average!

Hi Pandi,
I think you are very courageous. Keep Going you are doing Awesome!!! I have not been on opiads, but cocaine, I am pregnant as well and due in March...15th to be exact. We all need encouragement and motivation. Please feel free and vent...do not keep it inside. You are winning!...you will tell your story to help the next. Kudosxxx