Study: The Psychological Effect of Steroid Placebos (vintage study)

RedLeader

Bluelight Crew
This study is from 1972, but I am seeing it circulated on social media today. It's the first I have heard of it. But it is a study where the study group is given a placebo that is believed to be Dbol and then their strength progression is tracked over subsequent weeks. As perhaps expected, they make better gains after starting their "cycle."

I've actually done things like this to myself in the past with test boosters. I remember the first time I took Animal Stak (this was after they took the PHs out) my lifts shot up the second week. In reality, I had just tightened up my diet and rest, and I was convinced that I had some wind in my sails. I think a lot of guys do similar with creatine (and thinking it can be felt).

But ya, main point being that we are capable of more than we think that we are when PEDs are removed. I know that some guys will get so convinced that they are going to lose strength coming off a cycle or a blast that it happens NOT because of the drug changes but their own self doubt.

Last edited:
Yeah, this study does the rounds every few years - I like it, it should be compulsory reading. Maybe we should make a sticky with it.

This phenomenon is one reason we keep trying to hammer into folks that all this hype about [insert latest new product/PED] is generally hyperbolic shite until years of use have proven otherwise.

The number of times people blag about how many lbs they gained on this or that, it does make it hard to see what's really worthwhile and what's just bandwagon hype.

Ya, or the studies being done on untrained individuals who could make a 100% strength increase while eating McDonald's and drinking beer. Or studies that measure strength on something like leg extensions (studies seem to always use leg extensions). I barely do leg extensions, and when I do it is just to polish. So sure, if I prioritized it and increased frequency and intensity on that machine, I could make huge strength gains over a couple months.

I want to see studios on experienced lifters where the supplementation, diet or training change is made ceteris paribus.

As for weight gain, there is so much going on at once that simply stating a change in bodyweight does not really say anything promising. Fat, muscle, glycogen, water, etc.

Heard of another story told by Greg Nuckols on a podcast , where some powerlifting team approached their coach and asked him to help them cheat with steroids. He told them to not worry, that he'd handle it all - drugs, masking agents, etc. He gives them sugar pills and they make huge gains. I could not immediately find the story via google, though.

I guess it's kind of related to the "how do guys get so big in prison?" question, with poor diets and no fancy supplements. Or guys who get stronger just he switching to a gym with stronger members around them. Adaptation to environment.

I agree to an extent, but AAS is demonstrably superior to placebo, so we shouldn't go too far in pushing these anecdotes I don't think ;)