View threads about
    Posting RulesBluelight Rules
    PD's Best Threads Index
    Social ThreadSupport Bluelight
    Psychedelic Beginner's FAQ

Psychedelics, Meditation and Harm Reduction

<SpaceHead>

Bluelighter
I've taken a several year hiatus from posting on here, but decided to return to share some of my recent experiences with meditation and how it has changed my life and relationship to drugs including psychedelics. First off I'd like to say that I think meditation itself is psychedelic in the true sense of the word (mind manifesting, to make the mind apparent). From my own experience I've found that it has the potential to help integrate psychedelic experiences, help avoid abusing psychedelics and other drugs and also trigger spiritual experiences without drugs. First I'll share a little about my own history with psychedelics, the ways meditation has changed that relationship and also some resources people can use to develop their own meditation practice.

I started using psychedelics in my late teens and these experiences drastically shifted my world view, certainly the most profound thing I had ever experienced. For the next ten years they became the center of my life, I used them for spiritual, recreational, therapeutic and escapist reasons. As I got deeper in I used a wide variety of psychedelic research chemicals and dissociative drugs often in combinations searching for the thrill of novelty. At least every weekend I would dose again and catch a glimpse of that beautiful reality, but by Tuesday it would have evaporated, leaving me planning my next adventure as soon as possible. They have a saying in zen, "don't mistake the finger for the moon". Psychedelics point to a greater reality and give you a glimpse of that reality, but the drugs themselves are only a sign post, not the destination. I made the mistake of confusing the sign with the destination and thought that if I always had psychedelics on hand and took them as often as possible I could stay in that beautiful reality. I tried that for ten years and without means to properly integrate the experiences i was having I was always left unsatisfied.

A friend of mine knew I enjoyed novel mental experiences and got me to sign up for a ten day silent Vipassana meditation retreat. The retreat experience had a lot in common with psychedelics. The retreat caused latent mental and emotional content to come to the surface of consciousness and allowed me to observe the impermanence of all phenomena and the non existence of a solidified "self". After the retreat I felt cleansed and changed in a deep way, similar to how I would feel the day after a solid LSD trip, but the insights and changes felt much more grounding and real. And most importantly I had become established in the technique of meditation, a tool I could use to help maintain that opened and clear way of being in a much more practical and healthy way than using drugs too often in large doses. After this first retreat I went back to my drug use patterns but committed myself to meditating every day. Through practicing daily and doing at least one retreat a year I slowly but steadily moved from an extremely imbalanced relationship with drugs to a much healthier and more spiritual life. I still use psychedelics a few times a year, in contrast to having used them in upwards of fifty times a year in the past. My experiences with them more recently have been more profound and meaningful, and I also experience insight and meaning much more often completely sober.

Whether you're a hard head like me that needed a ten day retreat to get the message or totally new to psychedelics, I think meditation can be a very useful tool in getting more out of psychedelics and preventing the potential for harm. For those new to psychedelics meditation allows one to become more familiar with their inner landscape in a grounded and centered way and helps to build skills in working through difficult experiences. The first few trips that really blow the doors of perception off the hinges can be very challenging for people and I could see these skills being very useful in working through these experiences in a positive way. Meditation can also help provide a context in which to understand the psychedelic experience and translate it into something that can be understood and implemented in daily life. It can be used to cultivate a non attached relationship with experiences, helping to prevent clinging to the psychedelic experience or the experience of any drug for that matter. Meditating helps me to remember that the profound and eternal aspects of life are ALWAYS present regardless of if I am tripping or sober. I personally have used the framework of the Buddhist teachings in my practice as they have been developing and preserving this technique for thousands of years, although I would not call myself a Buddhist. There is absolutely no need for belief in any religion to get the benefits of meditation.

Psychedelics are a beautiful thing and I don't regret any of my experiences with them, but I am so glad that I found meditation and ended up where I am now. For me, meditation was the deciding factor between descending further into serious drug abuse or living the much more clear and aware life that I am living right now. I hope this information may be of some benefit to you fellow trippers!

Resources for building a practice:

Teacher Tara Brach's introduction / FAQ for meditation:
https://www.tarabrach.com/faq-for-meditation2/

Dharma Seed, recordings of talks on meditation and Buddhism
http://dharmaseed.org/talks/

Vipassana meditation retreats, (they are donation based)
https://www.dhamma.org/en-US/index

Also there may be a meditation center near you where you could go learn to meditate for free or for a small donation, check it out and go see a talk and show up for a sitting!

how would you characterize your increased appreciation of psychedelics after embracing vipassana?

I've found even the simplest forms of meditation like pranayama and yoga to be extremely beneficial with integration and transformation. I can only imagine a meditative retreat, something i've always wanted to do for sure. Sounds like you're in the groove lately, that's sweet.

pupnik: I'd say the biggest difference is an increased ability to understand that the insights that I experience on psychedelics are actually always available to me regardless of if I have a psychedelic in my bloodstream or not. It's mostly an issue of being willing to pay attention and listen to my inner experience. In the past I'd have a powerful trip and feel good for a couple of days and then sink back into feelings of meaninglessness and depression and have to trip again soon to regain that clarity. With meditation I'm able to bring that clarity into my daily life in a more subtle but much more pervasive and long lasting way. It enables me to actually put the messages I get from psychedelics into practice in my life instead of just coming back to hear the message over and over every weekend and not changing the way I live at all.

Crashing: You can do a retreat too! I put a link in the post to the vipassana retreat website, they have centers all over the world and are totally donation based so you can go even if you're broke. I've been doing yoga too recently and have tried pranayama a little. The main difference between Pranayama and Vipassana is Pranayama manipulates the breathe in certain ways to achieve concentration or relaxation, in Vipassana we observe the breathe or sensations in the body as is it without consciously interfering with it. Sign up for a sit! It's a really heavy and beneficial trip!

<spacehead> I like the word pervasiveness:
for me getting psychedelic high is about immersion into resonance weather it is the visual sparkle, the vibrancy of body sensations, or the persistence of mental forms - all to a greater or lesser extent, arising and fading away. In this way being stoned is an extension of my life (and of my practice) and having been stoned extends into my life after the session with the drug.
during the immersion, weird body feelings - maybe nausea and sickness; but then the state of mind becomes harmonized and more resonant
after the experience, I am who I was with just a little more bounce.

I wholeheartedly agree that meditation is indeed a psychedelic experience! :)
Meditation goes extremely well with spiritual psychedelics, like DMT, LSD and Mescaline. It is a great way of understanding my trips, integrating the experience and knowledge received while under the influence. And just by itself, meditation is a great way to improve life quality and self-awareness.

Retreats: I always kinda feel a bit awkward to go participating in an actual retreat, mostly performing my rituals alone, in the nature setting, or using sensory deprivation.
I'm interested in group participation nevertheless and hoping to experience it eventually. Thank you for this thread, <SpaceHead>! ;)

I've found even the simplest forms of meditation like pranayama and yoga to be extremely beneficial with integration and transformation. I can only imagine a meditative retreat, something i've always wanted to do for sure. Sounds like you're in the groove lately, that's sweet.

Yah. Yoga and meditation have gone hand im hand with my psychedelic journies. Without the grounding from asana/med, Id be even more off the rails than some might percieve me to be.

Honestly if you are searching for spiritual enlightment they go hand in hand.

When things get really intense, meditation techniques are priceless. I sometimes wonder how people who don't focus on spirituality manage to go through some intense experiences. Then I remember that I had done that myself in the past. Now it looks like a bit of a waste of valuable alkaloids. But to each his own.
As time goes, I am more of the opinion that psychedelics experiences should be a part of a wider spiritual practice to be able to get the most out of them. They are like short glimpses of what is possible. But to get near there in a more lasting manner, you need to do a serious spiritual practice. I don't have personal proof of that and it is more an intuition at the moment.

I am not a really experimented meditator, though I have done my bit of it, and have never done a retreat as waiting lists are off-putting as I never know where I am going to be in 3 months. I would love to, but a bit apprehensive of the hardship of the experience. 10 days meditating hardcore is no joke. I struggle sometimes in my 30min.

Yoga on dissociatives is very nice and easy. I heard you can overdo the stretches though, and it makes sense. You can stay for ages in a weird pose, and equilibrium is surprisingly good.