• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Estimated average recovery time after Aripiprazole (Abilify)

Maiklel

Greenlighter
I'd like to know an estimated average recovery time after taking standard doses of aripiprazole (Abilify) -and it means 15-10 mg daily according to what this page says : http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2014/04/16/abilify-withdrawal-symptoms-how-long-do-they-last/ "The standard daily dose is 10 mg or 15 mg for most people."- and an intake time of approximately 2-3 months. Before answering, please bear in mind that:

1) I don't want to know the deep hypothetical methabolization mechanisms of the mentioned drug, nor the enzymes involved or the related pathways. Just what the title says, how much long does it take to synaptic receptors, neurotransmitters and general central nervous system to recover their states pre-med from the action of these meds after one person has finished taking them, everything under pdoc's prescription.

2) In addition, I don't search for an exact amount of time, just a time of reference which of course may vary. I'm the first aware of all the genetic and environmental variables.
Therefore, please have the example of a normal average person who does 10 min of cardiovascular exercise everyday, follows a healthy diet and gets a normal sleep as a reference for the answer.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You know that website is an opinion not medical advice or scientific research.

Recovery sounds like abilify is damaging the brain.

How do you define recovery? And how would you measure subjective recovery?

It can leave permanent changes in the way your brain deals with dopamine and HTP. There have been reported cases of inpatients not suffering of psychotic symptoms before treatment, and upon discontinuation they developped lasting psychotic states or generalized anxiety. There even are reports of autistic childs developping shizophrenia upon cessation of a risperidone treatment (for autism) because of the long-term inactivity the dopamine receptors are put in with these atypical anti-psychotics. Upon cessation your receptors will be (in general) more sensitive to agonism after having been antagonised for a long period of time, which can lead to behavioral changes. I myself have been given both abilify and risperidone at (very) high doses for more than a month (abilify twiice a day, risperidone 8mg/day). I have to say that being now rid of all the nasty side effects and recovering the ability to actually enjoy some things in life is a big plus, and that my cessation has been done gradually over more than 6 weeks, ending at 0.5mg/day in the end, which helped my DA neurons to slowly adapt to the changes. All in all I'd say that, if done correctly, putting an end to such medications can leave one feeling close to normal, the only side effects that still haven't subsided being dis-satisfaction and boredom. (but getting better day by day)
I still recomment you try not to take such medications if not in a state of accute delirium (which I don't think you reside in) as there are other ways to treat psychosis or anxiety. If your doctor wants to prescribe you those, I recommend you try and ask for medication that aren't as potent. It's as if your doctor prescribes you IV Fentanyl for moderate pain when codeine could have been sufficient enough. Just for your info, a medium dose of aripiprazole shuts down around 60% of your brains DA and HT neurotic system, which is litterally like 20-30% of all the connection it uses when you function normally (talking, walking, thinking, enjoying stuff etc.)

Dude if you have autism this definitly is a big no-no. Their's no point in becoming stupid off of some medication used for schizophrenic maniacs when your only problem is being more intelligent than the doctor sitting in front of you. Once again, it's like prescribing fentanyl when codeine is sufficient. OVERKILL. If you have autism I councel you to find a great hobby and to build your social life around that, I think that's a much better way of dealing with some social issues rather than turning into some zombified person who won't feel good 24h a day. The antagonism (anti-activation/working off smthn FYI) of this stuff at your HT (hydroxytryptamine) receptors is so strong it even keeps your brain from dreaming at night (which is normally caused by compounds like DMT being released by your brain at night).

Last edited:
As answer to your posts:

d1nach: I define "recovery" as the establishment of a normal state, being "normal" the function the brain had pre-med, with the ability of feeling and remembering with as much intensity as you always did.

I would measure subjective recovery

1_ by comparing my state pre and post;

2_ by comparing my subjective inner responses to similar stimuli, by feeling how my mind reacts to these external changes at a unconscious and conscious levels, being both of these sort of lowered or silenced;

3_ by measuring reaction times, being these lowered,

4_ by comparing how many things I could remember at a glance and what things I forgot;

5_ by noticing abnormal feelings inside my brain that weren't there and never were before taking these type of medication, like feeling that there was 'a hole inside my brain', like if it was something inside that doesn't let the normal flow of thoughts continue;

6_ by watching facial moods according to different types of feelings and the intensiveness associated with these facial moods, having these atenuated under their influence;

7_ by comparing the intensity of the feelings pre and post-taking, being these lowered under their influence;

8_ by noticing how I can't do multiple things at the same time like I did before, the ability of multi-tasking;

... should I continue?

-----------------
LaGaFàNi : How much time were you on treatment? Did you recover completely? Bear in mind that the time posed as hypothetical reference is 3 months.

-----------------

To the rest, if anyone else can talk about his personal experience or the experience of near relatives who were on this drug in a similar time and dosage, it would be extremely appreciated.

Do you have like bipolar or something? Because you might need a different med before stoping it.

When i took abilify i think 1 mg i was falling asleep during the day only took it for a week or two but i think i started feeling better the next day normal pretty fast a few days

Was it drug induced? I was labed psychotic by the insurance company for drawing bizzare pictures of the brain that where "nonsense" in rehab and insisting i didnt want to be there and the antipsychotics where making me feel sick lol

Have you tried cognitive behavioral therapy that helped me with stress by talking about and developing different thoughts and behaviors

d1nach I think that you're misinterpreting me. I'm not searching for treatments. What I'd like to know is average recovery times, estimated amounts of months to restore the brain to pre-states or similar pre-states without problems.

Yea my brain is pretty fried

Anyway i dont think your question can be answered because things like half lifes can be measured.

What your describing sounds like introspective early psychology and the issue is it i very hard to make accurate prediction about the brain based on how you think or feel

For example, how long is average time it takes for 15 mg of abilify occupy zero percent of the d2 receptors is able to be answered

Or

After chronic trestment with x mg of abilify for y many montns how has the d2 expression increased in the striatium.

But how long before recovery

Defined " as the establishment of a normal state, being "normal" the function the brain had pre-med, with the ability of feeling and remembering with as much intensity as you always did.

Cant be answered because you cant extrapolate how long it takes people after stoppin for people to feel like they think they did and be like they think they where because it assumes
1. They know how they felt before
2. They can accurate tell what is due to abilify vs a new change in life.
Ect.

How long it takes for a brain to recover on a chemical and biological level is quantitative

How you feel is qualitive therefore you cant tell how your brains recovery physically from asking people how they feel their brain state is.

To answer your question; probably 70-80% at 6-12 months, and the rest (or mostly normal) at maybe 2-5 years. Part of the residual symptoms may never go away completely, but they should get better before too long. Stick to healthy living and set the calendar for a year and I think you might be surprised what you can do at the end.

OK, thanks, this is more or less what I'm searching.

Any other can give an estimated time too? Preferably based on personal experience, thanks.

bump again; share your experiences including dosages and time of prescription, and tell an average recovery time, please.