• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Jesus seems to hate some things. Do you? Is hate good?

A silly question but --- because we love our children and killing them is not usually the option most of us use.

How do you know that we are capable of understanding what love truly is in an ultimate sense?

How do you know that death is the end? How do you know it is bad? I don't think it's a silly question. Just because human beings who have never experienced, or don't remember experiencing, death can't fathom sending another to theirs (especially a parent to a child, often a pretty self involved thing).

I don't know what you are referring to when Jesus kills people, but maybe they had experienced enough of this world and in love were sent onto their next destination. Maybe love isn't the word to use. I don't really know. I'm just here to smoke stir the pot.

On the perspective of hate being an emotion I don't really see a need for it. Before you can arrive at hate you need a precursor emotion like envy, resentment, entitlement, anger etc. Once you have one of those emotional states in play you can fixate that negative emotion onto a person, thing, group or social structure and turn it into hate. Hate is not a raw emotional state it requires thought and intent.

Awesome video though, it shows a lot I didn't expect.

It is an eye opener for sure.

What you say of hate, you can also apply to love by using antonyms for the adjectives you used for hate.

In dualistic terms, Love would be at one end of a graph and hate at the other. All you adjectives fit somewhere on that graph.

If you do not use love and hate at the ends of your graph, for any issue, what would you use and would those not mean about the same?

How do you know that we are capable of understanding what love truly is in an ultimate sense?

See what I just put for our friend just above. It would apply to ultimate love as well as ultimate hate regardless of whether one knows what they mean in the deep sense you seek.

How do you know that death is the end?

Actually, I do not think that death is our end but cannot confirm that it is not so my safest bet is to go with what is observed. If not the end, one would think that the dead would find a way to communicate if possible. If they cannot, then the question becomes mute.

How do you know it is bad?

Because I enjoy life and cannot prove that the dead enjoy death.

I don't think it's a silly question.

I do not think my answers are either.
Just because human beings who have never experienced, or don't remember experiencing, death can't fathom sending another to theirs (especially a parent to a child, often a pretty self involved thing).

Life is all about following our selfish gene so I see nothing wrong with being self involved if it enhances life.
I don't know what you are referring to when Jesus kills people, but maybe they had experienced enough of this world and in love were sent onto their next destination. Maybe love isn't the word to use. I don't really know. I'm just here to smoke stir the pot.

Jesus, to most, is a part of the Trinity. Jesus/Yahweh is well labelled as a genocidal son murderer and has killed, if you believe the scriptures, a lot more people than the one who we think of as the epitome of evil, Satan.

I hope Christians do not think that death is better than life. They might act on it.

To your last.

Regards
DL

You are correct in saying love is like hate but not on different ends of a graph. Love and hate are emotions that are not simplex they are complex. Anger is simplex but attaching that anger onto something and hating that thing is a complex emotion, complex emotions require thought and intent. Hate can be discarded when you decide to not attach your negative emotions onto people, things and ideas. Love is the same, you have a positive emotion and apply it onto someone or something.

We build complex emotional positions in our minds, often without looking at them carefully. Political sides and religious organizations are good examples of ideologies that many people relate to only emotionally.

Simplex emotions like feeling pain can bring about more complex emotions, once we start thinking about why we are in pain we can attache our pain to a cause and begin to hate the cause. Hate is always a decision, so is love. Lust and anger might not require a decision but they are just precursors to more complex chosen emotions.

Having control of what you allow yourself to become emotional about is like driving the car compared to just riding an emotional Rollercoaster. Often I find humour is much more appropriate vs hate, I could hate the other political party or I could just laugh. One is far more powerful. The reality is I can choose my emotions and I believe anyone can, we can't choose the simplex emotions that surprise us due to events but what we do with these simple 'feelings' changes our world. Once we decide to move from anger or resentment to hate we bring it into our world, we own it. Even anger projection can be chosen, you can feel angry but you don't need to project it.

Hate isn't necessary but we will all experience it and should be able to deal with it, being under educated about emotions and how to control your own thinking process can leave you victimized by others who see how to control you, most of the population today is being run by others tugging them about by their emotions. America elected their president based on hate this time around, let's see how well it goes.

You are correct in saying love is like hate but not on different ends of a graph. Love and hate are emotions that are not simplex they are complex. Anger is simplex but attaching that anger onto something and hating that thing is a complex emotion, complex emotions require thought and intent. Hate can be discarded when you decide to not attach your negative emotions onto people, things and ideas. Love is the same, you have a positive emotion and apply it onto someone or something.

We build complex emotional positions in our minds, often without looking at them carefully. Political sides and religious organizations are good examples of ideologies that many people relate to only emotionally.

Simplex emotions like feeling pain can bring about more complex emotions, once we start thinking about why we are in pain we can attache our pain to a cause and begin to hate the cause. Hate is always a decision, so is love. Lust and anger might not require a decision but they are just precursors to more complex chosen emotions.

Having control of what you allow yourself to become emotional about is like driving the car compared to just riding an emotional Rollercoaster. Often I find humour is much more appropriate vs hate, I could hate the other political party or I could just laugh. One is far more powerful. The reality is I can choose my emotions and I believe anyone can, we can't choose the simplex emotions that surprise us due to events but what we do with these simple 'feelings' changes our world. Once we decide to move from anger or resentment to hate we bring it into our world, we own it. Even anger projection can be chosen, you can feel angry but you don't need to project it.

Hate isn't necessary but we will all experience it and should be able to deal with it, being under educated about emotions and how to control your own thinking process can leave you victimized by others who see how to control you, most of the population today is being run by others tugging them about by their emotions. America elected their president based on hate this time around, let's see how well it goes.

Not much to disagree with here. Nicely put.

"Once we decide to move from anger or resentment to hate we bring it into our world, we own it."

This is true. Well directed hate once owned, is a good motivator to action. Right? Which led to your ---

"what we do with these simple 'feelings' changes our world."

This is a good thing. Right?

IE. The American North allowed their feeling of love of freedom for all, to move them to hate those who embraced slavery and fight against that slave holding ideology.

There is a place for well directed hate in our hearts. It urges us to work against evil doesn't it?

Regards
DL