• Philosophy and Spirituality
    Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Threads of Note Socialize
  • P&S Moderators: Xorkoth | Madness

Jesus seems to hate some things. Do you? Is hate good?

^ i agree to an extent.

it also does nothing to substantiate gnostic bishop's original claim that "Jesus seems to hate some things" :\

alasdair

I just did not want to get too wordy as it is a long list.

Please allow me to take a shortcut with a link but a short one would be that Jesus and God hate all who break any of the commandments and do not repent and that is clear in that they will are hated by Jesus/God because they will be sent to hell and death instead of being cured, which a loving God would do. It takes quite a bit of hate to punish us for finite sins for eternity.

If you need more examples, pick your poison from this long list.

https://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=hate&qs_version=KJV

Regards
DL

Last edited:
You can't use anything in the old testament as evidence of Jesus hating anything. Jesus was rebelling against the religion described in the OT.

When filtering that list further by the new testament only, I find a handful references of hate but when taken in context it is saying the opposite, such as "do not hate thine enemy" but to love them as a neighbor instead. Or it is from a book which is not supposed to be the words of Jesus but instead a letter from an apostle.

You can't use anything in the old testament as evidence of Jesus hating anything. Jesus was rebelling against the religion described in the OT.

When filtering that list further by the new testament only, I find a handful references of hate but when taken in context it is saying the opposite, such as "do not hate thine enemy" but to love them as a neighbor instead. Or it is from a book which is not supposed to be the words of Jesus but instead a letter from an apostle.

There are both references to love your mother and father and to hate them.

As I put above, those who break commandments and do not repent are all hated and scriptures say that that is the vast majority of us.

As to Jesus and the O.T., Jesus makes reference to it and Yahweh is said by foolish Trinitarians to be just another part of Jesus. Yahweh and Jesus are one to Trinitarians and to dismiss the O.T. is a cop out.

Regards
DL

Gnostic Bishop:
I address two schools of current scholarly interpretation of Luke 14:26 in my post. I also post verses from other NT books that are very similar in content that do not say or mean that you have to hate your family.

I also searched through every single mention of the word "hate" and "hatred" in almost 200 versions of the entire Bible as well as read scholarly interpretation on translation from Greek and Aramaic text... maybe you should just read my post.

I think there are more interesting aspects of your post to explore, but you seem stuck on being "right" about something that you are wrong about.
-----------------

Anyone else want to discuss the concept of hate and Christianity or relevance of Jesus to the organized church today per Xoroth? Or Jesus taking action in his beliefs and how faith is not only what one thinks but what one does? Or anything similar??? I'm really interested in this discussion in that regard.

You searched every single mention of the word hate in 200 versions of the bible? What absolute waste of time.
How can anyone in this day and age believe in god?
Has anything in any holy book been proven, ever?

^^How old are you? Super old?
Apparently you're not very familiar with online tools like a Biblical thesaurus or sites that show differences in passage translations, and let's just assume I'm very familiar with Scripture and had a basic idea of what I was looking for and at.

I stated in my first post that what I was writing was not necessarily reflective of my beliefs... You see, sometimes people are born into religious (or not) families and don't have a choice as to the nature or frequency of their exposure to a given set of beliefs. However, as they get older and maybe waste more of their time studying other belief systems (or not), their own beliefs evolve (or not).

However, a lot of perfectly intelligent people (e.g., Einstein) have or do believe in God, and frankly, you can't prove they are wrong. You might be in for a hell of a surprise. :D

At any rate, as a future tip, your godless time might be better spent doing something else besides bashing people who you assume believe in God, because the mortal lifespan is limited.

Has anything in the Bible been proven true? Sure. Lots of things. I'd fill you in but in this case it would be an absolute waste of my time. Watch a documentary or two hundred. 8)

Lots of things? Really?
just out of curiosity what in the bible that has been proven would most likely make people believe it?

CD I thought you did a great job of trying to help the OP understand how he was just wrong. Not that it matters to me but it probably does to him or will if he reads the replies. Most people who post here about religion have a lot to say but very little desire to learn. Religion itself is really the cause. Once anyone adopts a box full (or book full) of beliefs and takes on a denomination or declares themselves a set of beliefs, they stop being a seeker and start to become a defender.

Personally I find it difficult to argue biblical beliefs as I can't see divine accuracy in the bible. I think for any real shot at divine accuracy we need to look at things that have not been altered by man, perhaps DNA perhaps particle physics but certainly not in man written documentation. These kind of arguments simply miss the obvious by quibbling over minutia. Fanatics are like oil fires you can drown them in a huge blanket of water (see your post) and they just burn on obliviously.

I give credit to christianity as having carried forward just enough truth to make me interested in spiritual matters. It seems there are small bits of truth all over with huge religions built around them. Most of these religions reject any truth that doesn't fit with their doctrine so they are stagnant and have little to offer.

Soso78, your biblical knowledge is just not good enough to ask the question, lots of historical stuff in the Bible is accurate. It's a compilation off books not a single book. I don't think anyone who actually understands the bible believes the whole of it. I don't think that is possible. To be correct it must be 100% accurate which it simply isn't.

Historical stuff like what? The names of places or something like that?
Bethlehem is a real place so the bible must be true?

Gnostic Bishop:
I address two schools of current scholarly interpretation of Luke 14:26 in my post. I also post verses from other NT books that are very similar in content that do not say or mean that you have to hate your family.

I also searched through every single mention of the word "hate" and "hatred" in almost 200 versions of the entire Bible as well as read scholarly interpretation on translation from Greek and Aramaic text... maybe you should just read my post.

I think there are more interesting aspects of your post to explore, but you seem stuck on being "right" about something that you are wrong about.

My wrong you have yet to prove.

God/Jesus, via scriptures show God/Jesus sending most of us to hell and death instead of curing us which God/Jesus could easily do. That takes a lot of hate. Break that logic trail if you can.

You searched every single mention of the word hate in 200 versions of the bible? What absolute waste of time.
How can anyone in this day and age believe in god?
Has anything in any holy book been proven, ever?

I agree as myths are impossible to prove as true because they are obviously not.

Regards
DL

DL you've already proved your position wrong on your own no one else had to post a thing.

YB, thank you! :) Particularly for realizing I was replying to a particular assertion, rather than the underlying belief.

As a scientist (with a more than passing layperson's interest in quantum physics!), I too am excited about the leaps in technology that are allowing us to begin to answer basic questions about life and the universe we live in (much less the origins of life and the afterlife) that have fascinated humans for millennia. The search continues!

Nonetheless, I also find wisdom and rich beauty in the Bible as well as other religions texts. There are both truths that resonate with the contemporary to me and completely archaic ideas in them that have no place in my beliefs.

YB, I think we are very much in accord, and I found your comments to be fascinating and thought-provoking. :)

Sosa78: As to your second question about which proven parts of the Bible create faith, each person's decision is very individualized and therefore I cannot compose an answer that encompasses all of them. And you would need a more substantive background in the historical and scientific record of the time period we're referencing (and something more indicative of an open mind) to participate in that dialogue. So no cake for you. :\

YB and I both answered your first question. I will add that archeological excavation is still yielding additional historical accounts (i.e., the Dead Sea Scrolls) and other tangible artifacts from the era of the New Testament.

Besides, I'm not sure any amount of proof would satisfy you. As you likely know, the handful of known photographs of Jesus Christ- doing carpentry, preaching at the Sermon on the Mount, and at the Last Supper- were too blurry for clear-cut identification (someone forgot their tripod!). Even worse, the chip in the digital camera containing the highlights of his life was damaged by a looter. Coincidence?!? You decide!

Gnostic: Actually I did. You're wrong. I have a number of other passages to prove it, but my posts are already too long, as nuance and brevity are enemies.
And as for your logic train, anthropomorphize much? Just because we are made in God's image, we are flawed. You are attributing human motives that might not be applicable to an omnipotent and omniscient being. I certainly have no insight into the divine, but perhaps people who chose to sin grievously and inflict cruelty in this life, seemingly unpunished, deserve to go to hell. Think of it as the ultimate karma, perhaps justice. Perhaps there is no equivalent in our limited understanding to the motives of God. God bestowed his love on humanity and sent his only begotten son to die a horrible death for our sins. Doesn't sound like hate to me.
And by giving us free will, we are empowered to save ourselves if we wish.
Derailed. Twice.
Oh, it's interesting that Jesus Christ is referred to as the Son of God, as both human and divine, as dying a human death after living amongst humans, whereas God is the creator of the universe and existed prior to everything, even light.
And if they are the same, why does the Bible refer to them a using different names, as opposed to something like a slash?

Last edited:
GB: Even if one accepts your personal interpretation of Luke 14:26 (KJV), the only instance that Jesus is quoted as using the word "hate", which is not accepted even by the most narrow theologians, there is not a single mention in the Bible commanding or even suggesting that children love their parents.
Honor, obey, don't curse them, etc., ... no love. (Interestingly for the same reason you are wrong about Luke 14:26).
Here are a few pages to get you started:

https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Children,-Attitude-To-Parents

https://bible.org/seriespage/18-between-child-and-parent-honoring-father-and-mother-exodus-2012

http://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/mothers-day-bible-verses/

https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Children,-Parents-Love

http://www.biblestudytools.com/topical-verses/family-bible-verses/

https://www.openbible.info/topics/honoring_parents

https://www.openbible.info/topics/respecting_parents

https://www.openbible.info/topics/parental_love_

https://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/Parents

https://www.openbible.info/topics/family_love_

Aye.

The god topic has truly been beaten to death. There is no empirical evidence to support the existence of a deity :D

though that isn't room to assert one doesn't exist. Just, the world is too irrational and explosive over it with their respective belief systems.

The topic is traditionally regarded as unfalsifiable, and can't be objectively proven to the scientific community, no matter how many esteemed science geeks believed in God (Einstein, Francis Collins).

___

anyways. Jesus seemed like a pretty cool guy aside from his radical claim of divine authority. Not much hate there.

Sorry Nixiam. I am new to the beating in this forum, so I'm not sure which topics are overdone! :)

Last edited:
For some, any mention of diety is too much for others it just brings out the defender in them to circle their belief wagons and fend off any new thoughts.

The topic of diety is a lot like looking at a black hole, you can only assume something is there by the way the universe shapes itself around this spot. To leap into that abyss and experience it or not is really a personal choice with personal results.

The awkward part is every now and then one of us leaps and the results around us are profound. God (in whatever variation from whatever religious or non religious view) is a very personal experience and difficult to put down in language. I would always take what others tell me as probably wrong and my own experience as the only accurate information I have, which should read "don't take my word for it, look yourself."

"don't take my word for it, look yourself."

This^

Sorry Nixiam. I am new to the beating in this forum, so I'm not sure which topics are overdone! :)

lol this topic has come up time and time again, it probably always will haha. There shouldn't be any ridicule or criticism of belief outside of respective threads, basically.

:\ welcome

___

Gahh. Back when I was weaning myself off of religion as opposed to weaning off of drugs :sus: I'd assume the values of Jesus (or at least fantasize about following them somewhat) without the religious, belief aspect.

back to Jesus though

4a775d67c76ac9c678d7ce7e5a910cca.jpg

Seemed like a pretty cool dude for the most part.

@GnosticBishop,

"hate your parents" carries its own Christian metaphor, though I can't tell if Jesus was making a literal attempt to turn hatred toward the people that produced us, and that his language was manipulated and fell victim to some Christians who wanted to excuse the good prophet's words...

or if it was truly a metaphor with the aim of letting a disciple know how much weight following Jesus would carry, especially if the follower's parents were anti Jesus.

tbh this is one reason why I can't follow the faith. I didn't hear what he said, and not many people seem to ask what the fuck he means.

kosher dude though.

Last edited: