Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Best Benzo for Short Half Life, Getting to sleep, and Anxeity

Urbain

Bluelighter
Hey EADD,

As the title suggests. I used to use 1mg Etizolam nightly, which certainly worked for getting me off to sleep, but helped no way in supporting my long term and frequent anxiety and (albeit mild), panic attacks. I recently switched to 10mg Diaze, but the ridiculously long half life has me swaying all over the place, and making me groggy as hell.

Can anyone suggest a decent enough alternative? I've of course tried any and all herbal remedies before reaching out to the DW, (GP of course no help), but nothing over the counter has worked. Nor I'd add have beta blockers, which I've also tried. Propanal to be clear. Also, Zopiclone, which gave me the most intense night terrors and sleep paralysis. So no plans to visit that again..

Prescribed Fluoxetine for some time, but a recommended higher dose is fruitless. I exercise daily, and my diet isn't too bad, except on those lazy sundays. TBH I just need to get a suitable alternative sorted as soon as I can.

Any urgent suggestions or advice would be great.

Cheers in advance, all the best. Enjoy payday bank holiday weekend and stay safe.

Urb

PS. Whatever happened to our Friday threads......? 8)

Last edited:
I think Clonazepam would tick all your boxes Urb, if you can get it.

Edit: on second thoughts, I've just checked and the half life is 30-40 hours, so not exactly short. But it's a hell of a benzo...

Xanax fits your needs to the letter but its insanely addictive. I would tread carefully. Benzos are a very short term solution as in a few weeks max. They will make ALL of your symptoms worse in the long term. Meditation , exercise and a healthy diet are the go.

Clonitrazolam (clonazolam) is a better bet than its non - triazolo counterpart (which Fubar has pointed out) due to its medium duration of action and extremely sedating effects (compared to standard clonazepam and alprazolam - neither of which are particularly sedating considering their high potency) if you still have access to RC's, but is incredibly potent and will blow out your tolerance in a matter of days if overused. Same rules apply to any benzodiazepine TBF - they are only effective as hypnotics if used occasionally or for only 3 - 5 days before dosage escalation is required to regain the initial effects. I personally find temazepam, nitrazepam and flubromazepam the most sedating benzodiazepines but the first 2 require a really liberal minded doctor and the last 2 have such a long DOA that they are impractical if you do not want to end up still benzed upon waking.

Consumer has summed it up in the best way possible - none of these drugs are suitable for medium - long term management of insomnia which is best tackled through positive life style changes, saving the knockout treats for 'smash glass in case of emergency' occasions. Unless you have actually suffered from depression, the efficacy of Fluoxetine and other SSRI's for anxiety and such has become highly questionable and its always worth looking into discontinuing them (under medical supervision) as part of a lifestyle cleanup and shakeup.

If you haven't try out headspace app. It does help to manage you into finding time for you. But all these guys are telling you the truth that benzo in any form shouldn't become a relaint but a special emergency case.

None of the benzodiazepines will help you 'sleep' in the sense that they destroy the sleep cycle.

You've tried beta-blockers, but what about a centrally acting α2 adrenergic agonist like tizanidine (short half-life) or clonidine (longer half-life)?

^ aye and there's nothing better for anxiety than weed too 8)

OP only if you've exhausted all efforts at dealing with your anxiety then go the benzo option. As an alcoholic I can completely understand the appeal of GABAergic drugs, but years of abusing this stuff will only make the rebound anxiety worse.

"I think I'm getting the fear."

^ aye and there's nothing better for anxiety than weed too 8)"

I take it you mean that weed can be responsible for producing anxiety? Well yes, you are correct. But there are three easy steps to becoming an anxiety free weed smoker: Smoke indica. Only smoke in the evening. Don't smoke neat spiffs

Weed gives me terrible insomnia and anxiety. I'm not experienced enough to say if it's specifically due to one strain or another, but it's the same whether I've had a cookie, a puff or even this delicious 5-tiered hash gateaux I had once.

Weed gives me terrible insomnia and anxiety. I'm not experienced enough to say if it's specifically due to one strain or another, but it's the same whether I've had a cookie, a puff or even this delicious 5-tiered hash gateaux I had once.

You're weird... :)

If weed makes you paranoid, you probably are just not smoking enough of it.

I personally think it's the opposite tbh. Weed is incredibly potent, you just need to treat it with respect and it will respect and treat you.

It hasn't always made me paranoid. Hash cookies were/are probably the worst.

Anxiety gets worst when time starts to slow to the point that 1-2 minutes feels like hours, I don't enjoy that at all.

The insomnia is more irritating though, my head is feels like it's spinning. Having said that ritalin is a blissful sleep aid for me.

It hasn't always made me paranoid. Hash cookies were/are probably the worst.

Anxiety gets worst when time starts to slow to the point that 1-2 minutes feels like hours, I don't enjoy that at all.

The insomnia is more irritating though, my head is feels like it's spinning. Having said that ritalin is a blissful sleep aid for me.

Ok. Speed sends you to sleep? Do you have ADHD?

Yeah I do. Low doses of most stimulants knock me out pretty fast.

Yeah I do. Low doses of most stimulants knock me out pretty fast.

Heh, Dr. Fubz strikes again. I prescribe horrendous doses of amphetamine sulphate to be taken on the hour, every hour of the day, forever...

I personally think it's the opposite tbh. Weed is incredibly potent, you just need to treat it with respect and it will respect and treat you.

There is a lot of truth in this, but it makes me feel uncomfortable on a few levels. Some people just can't smoke weed, I mean their neurochemistry etc. just doesn't accept it. It kinda shames people who can't smoke weed. I dunno, just my opinion I guess.

I was a stoner as a teen, later in life it just made me over analyze things. I've mostly treated it with respect, and I do feel like it's an intelligence that helps me "purge" some really evil shitty thoughts, but it has made me more self-conscious as well as more self aware too.

I'm still not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

There is a lot of truth in this, but it makes me feel uncomfortable on a few levels. Some people just can't smoke weed, I mean their neurochemistry etc. just doesn't accept it. It kinda shames people who can't smoke weed. I dunno, just my opinion I guess.

I was a stoner as a teen, later in life it just made me over analyze things. I've mostly treated it with respect, and I do feel like it's an intelligence that helps me "purge" some really evil shitty thoughts, but it has made me more self-conscious as well as more self aware too.

I'm still not sure if it's a good thing or a bad thing.

It's kind of the opposite with me. I was a big stoner as a teenager, and it made my already bad anxiety worse - to a point of near catetonia. However, as I've got older, I've learned to smoke less and only in the evening. I get so much more out of weed these days and cannot imagine ever stopping smoking it.

Thanks for the replies guys. Much advice to think about and make up my mind as to what to do next.

Appreciate the help! X