• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Back at it!

xburtonchic

Bluelighter
For round #7392927474... or something like that. My girl and I are currently 99 hours clean. So day 5 technically!! I gotta say, this has been one of the easiest kicks... if not THE easiest kick... I have ever gone through. Which isnt to say its been a walk in the park, the second night in particular was really rough... but honestly, its pretty much been smooth sailing both physically and mentally. Its weird because we weren't using any less and the quality of the black was no different than other times we've kicked... same meds and supplements as usual (we've each taken 8mg of bupe in total over the course of the past few days, 2mg xanax at night, clonodine 2x and Imodium as needed during the day)... if anything, what we were using was better than the last time we kicked, since we got a new connect since then who's stuff wasn't as stomped on... and given that we've both detoxed twice already over the last few months and both times were suuuuper fucking rough, we legitimately were prepared to strap in for one hell of a ride this time. Instead, its been easy... so easy that we didn't even trust it until we hit the 72 hour mark and it hadn't gotten worse lol.

So we are definitely taking this as a blessing. I dont know how or why its this easy when it shouldn't be, but im not going to question it and I'm not going to take it for granted. It's almost as if the universe is cutting us a break. Because God knows I dont have it in me to keep doing this much longer... I was getting increasingly reckless and so was she. We were talking about it earlier, how stupid we would be to relapse and waste this amazing gift of a smooth and easy kick, and how if we did fuck up, the next time we kicked would probably be the worst kick of our lives. This really does feel like some sort of divine intervention, it's sooo eerie... especially since I prayed my ass off right before and I dont normally remember to do that. Sooo insane. Maybe someone is looking out for me/us after all. Whatever the case, this is a fucking blessing and we don't intend to waste it :)

Yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeah BURTON! =D

Do you have any plans for the rest of the week to help you and yours stay sober? This weekend?

Perhaps stay at home dance party? Music (and dancing) is a huge part of my sobriety (and sanity).

Hey TPD!!! Great to see ya!!

We DO have plans in fact!! Tomorrow we will set off on an exciting adventure to... wait for it... walk to Home Depot to buy Raid and then to the library!! Lol. We decided to walk because we were talking about how good it feels right after a detox when you start to exercise and get back into shape... that magical time where you can literally feel yourself getting healthier. We thought the walk would be a good start!

The main thing though is that we are moving to Chino mid-May. My best friend (non-user) just got an apartment out there and was generous enough to offer to let us crash while we get our shit together. Its far enough away from South LA (our old stomping grounds... we are staying with her family in South OC while we detox) to where it will be both incredibly inconvenient as well as financially impossible, at least at first since we will be going out there broke lol, to go out and cop every day. Plus its a new environment... fresh start and all! I love being a gypsy and moving to new places and exploring them, so im pretty excited about it. I am being realistic, I know the mood swings/intense cravings will come sooner or later, but I am going to ride this wave while it lasts!! I just have a good feeling this time :)

And YES music (and dancing) are absolutely essential I agree!!

You should pick up some San Pedro cactus at the Home Depot and have yourself a little festival ;)

Chino can be a rough place, but I haven't been there in a decade so iono. It will be good for you to have a supportive environment, wherever you go. I wish I had known you were in LA, I totally would have accosted you =D

Hey, Burton...so glad to see your post!

I'm glad the universe listened and didn't push too hard on this kick. Never stops surprising me how unpredictable opioid WD severity is.

Congrats to you and your GF
<3
Sim

I dont know much about Chino other than its near the IE which I am aware is a hub for higher level traffickers... but we dont plan to go seeking it out so we will be fine! Atlanta is a rough place too after all and we made it out alive lol... and that was with us trying to cold cop in the bluff at 3 am. Amazingly the worst that happened was we were brought crack instead of heroin, and some other dude took off with our money. Could have been worse. Divine intervention indeed lol. I promise we know how to take care of ourselves if it really is in the ghetto... idk cuz I havent been out there to see the place yet. But thanks for the heads up, still good to know <3

Thanks simco!! Yea withdrawal can be weird af. I've had kicks in jail that were easier than kicks I have had in the comfort of a professional detox center, and vice versa. Science says its supposed to get harder and harder each time but my experiences dont match up with that... especially taking this one into account. Sometimes theyre super fucking hard, other times theyre rough but manageable, and then theres those other rare times like this where you feel like you're just cheating somehow. I do have a theory about that though, and I feel it has to do with whatever kind of cutting agents you had been ingesting with the smack... but who knows??

I dont know much about Chino other than its near the IE which I am aware is a hub for higher level traffickers... but we dont plan to go seeking it out so we will be fine! Atlanta is a rough place too after all and we made it out alive lol... and that was with us trying to cold cop in the bluff at 3 am. Amazingly the worst that happened was we were brought crack instead of heroin, and some other dude took off with our money. Could have been worse. Divine intervention indeed lol. I promise we know how to take care of ourselves if it really is in the ghetto... idk cuz I havent been out there to see the place yet. But thanks for the heads up, still good to know <3

Thanks simco!! Yea withdrawal can be weird af. I've had kicks in jail that were easier than kicks I have had in the comfort of a professional detox center, and vice versa. Science says its supposed to get harder and harder each time but my experiences dont match up with that... especially taking this one into account. Sometimes theyre super fucking hard, other times theyre rough but manageable, and then theres those other rare times like this where you feel like you're just cheating somehow. I do have a theory about that though, and I feel it has to do with whatever kind of cutting agents you had been ingesting with the smack... but who knows??

Chino certainly won't be any rougher than Atlanta, this is for sure. LOL, funny, that happened to me once before - getting served rock instead of the dope I wanted. Small world burton ;)

And actually, the best science out there indicates that as people age and grow in maturity, the probability that recovery "sticks" increases. That isn't necessarily mutually exclusive with the other reality that kicks can also become more severe, it would actually kind of go hand in hand with it. Whatever the case, people who are in their late 20's and 30's seem to stand a better chance of getting their shit together regarding substance use than they did when they were younger.

Most people "age out" of substance use, regardless of what kind or even whether they receive formal treatment. It doesn't mean that treatment is a waste of time, just that it isn't a lost cause if one doesn't fit the normal cookie-cutter mold of the "Addict" that most people are presented with when they receive what passes for substance use disorder treatment.

Hey there C.H! Thanks lol and its good to see that you are still around as well :) How's the novel going?!?

Based on my own personal experiences I would most definitely have to agree with that, TPD. I can't speak for everyone of course, I only know what I've experienced in my own mind regarding my own 7+ years-long battle with addiction... but if the majority of peoples' experience has been anything like mine, I would have to say that I agree and that people do eventually mature out of the destructive patterns of addiction and are better able to find recovery as a result. I've certainly noticed a huge shift when I compare the way things are now to the earliest years of my addiction. My relationship with not only my addiction, but also with myself and the outside world in the context of my addiction, has transformed drastically over the years. It would turn into a novel if I were to type out in detail all of the various ways in which my thinking, my mentality, and my beliefs in regards to my addiction have morphed, from day one all the way up until now. But suffice it to say though, I definitely have matured a hell of a lot since those early days... even from just a few years ago, compared to how it is now. I can point out plenty of noticeable, positive changes in the way I think about and perceive my addiction, and in how I interact with not just myself but with the world around me as well. And I fully believe these insights and personal transformations have been invaluable to my ability to ultimately find recovery. These changes have encompassed everything from my motivation levels to the harm reduction techniques I employ to having a better mentality/outlook about my addiction and who I am as a person. It's pretty amazing, since all you hear is how you cant really ever mature while youre in active addiction and how you get "stuck" at whatever age you started using. In my own experience this simply isnt true, and if anything, I have matured a lot BECAUSE of (or maybe in spite of lol) my addiction to drugs and to opiates/heroin in particular. It definitely makes it a lot easier to go into a kick and begin the detox process, if not physically then mentally, and it certainly helps me to feel much more confident about my ability to recover overall. Five years ago, the thought of going through withdrawals and then never using again would have terrified me, would have seemed impossible even, and that fear in itself would prevent me from trying at all and cause me to fail in self-defeat before ever even having the chance to start!! Not only that but I was perfectly content to run amok on the streets and commit whatever crimes and to hang out with other users who, at the end of the day, it would not be doing me any favors to be associating so closely with these types of people.

These days, things are sooo much different, it's like night and day!! I get excited at the prospect of detoxing and ultimately getting clean, and if I fail, I am more than willing to get up and dust myself off to try again. The street life no longer holds its appeal, if anything the daily hustle and grind has become stale and exhausting... anything I do to support my habit is purely out of necessity and is avoided as long as possible. There is no joy or excitement in chasing that high anymore, its all about getting well and thats it. Most of all, I have cut myself off as much as possible from fellow users and only associate with them when its necessary. My days of hanging out and running the streets with them by choice are loooong over, and I only use by myself or with my girl. The majority of these people were toxic as fuck, and I have done my best to cut the majority of them off and replace them with healthy relationships with people who dont use heroin and who are much better influences in my life. The whole lifestyle and the people who are still so deeply entrenched in it are just dull and honestly, fucking annoying to me now. Withdrawals are no longer something to be so fearful of that they become a handicap to my recovery, they are simply a necessary evil and something I realize and accept that I have to deal with if I truly am going to recover. I am not nearly as reckless as I once was. I no longer point fingers or lay blame on anyone else or on external circumstances for my situation and I am fully cognizant of the fact that any changes I make have to come from me and only me, because ultimately only I am responsible for my situation and my quality of life. Most importantly, I am no longer so hard on myself... I dont look at myself as a hopeless piece of shit junkie anymore who is stuck in a situation that will never get better. Instead, I know that I am NOT defined by my addiction and that I do in fact have worth as a human being, that I am simply struggling at the moment with a problem that I am doing my best to solve. I dont scramble around anymore trying to put on a front or a facade simply so other people wont judge me, and as a general rule, I have found that the more I have come to accept myself and own my problems, the more other people are capable of seeing me in the same way... and for those who still cant see past my addiction to the woman inside, who still make snap judgements based on this disease I have... fuck em, dude. I am no longer crippled by the stigma and fear of judgement from others because *I* know theres more to me than that and that I still have value and worth as a human being... and I feel that this, more than anything, is what has helped me the most. Reclaiming my sense of worth and self-respect and self confidence has really done wonders for my ability to ultimately heal.

And all that is just scratching the surface. I have matured in so many ways... physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually... over the course of my addiction, ways I never could have dreamed of even just a few years ago. And all of it has been necessary and helpful in its own way in helping me to grow out of my addiction, in which I used to be sooo deeply entrenched, and into a recovery-oriented mindset even while I am actively using. Its encouraging to know that we are capable of growing so much. It gives me hope because I know that even if I fail, in time I WILL get it right, if not grow out of it completely someday :)

Sorry for the rambling, I hope this made sense lol I took a couple Xanax earlier...

Not at all burton :) I can relate to a LOT of what you write in your post. Particularly about jettisoning toxic relationships and reclaiming (if not claiming for the first time ever) a sense of self worth, self/other respect, confidence and dignity. Overcoming feelings of alienation and isolation that characterized my childhood and periods of active addiction has been key to moving forward in life more generally. Connection is after all the opposite of addiction IME.

I'd so awesome to see, read and hear about your journey burton. Keep up the great work!

Hey there C.H! Thanks lol and its good to see that you are still around as well :) How's the novel going?!?

Based on my own personal experiences I would most definitely have to agree with that, TPD. I can't speak for everyone of course, I only know what I've experienced in my own mind regarding my own 7+ years-long battle with addiction... but if the majority of peoples' experience has been anything like mine, I would have to say that I agree and that people do eventually mature out of the destructive patterns of addiction and are better able to find recovery as a result. I've certainly noticed a huge shift when I compare the way things are now to the earliest years of my addiction. My relationship with not only my addiction, but also with myself and the outside world in the context of my addiction, has transformed drastically over the years. It would turn into a novel if I were to type out in detail all of the various ways in which my thinking, my mentality, and my beliefs in regards to my addiction have morphed, from day one all the way up until now. But suffice it to say though, I definitely have matured a hell of a lot since those early days... even from just a few years ago, compared to how it is now. I can point out plenty of noticeable, positive changes in the way I think about and perceive my addiction, and in how I interact with not just myself but with the world around me as well. And I fully believe these insights and personal transformations have been invaluable to my ability to ultimately find recovery. These changes have encompassed everything from my motivation levels to the harm reduction techniques I employ to having a better mentality/outlook about my addiction and who I am as a person. It's pretty amazing, since all you hear is how you cant really ever mature while youre in active addiction and how you get "stuck" at whatever age you started using. In my own experience this simply isnt true, and if anything, I have matured a lot BECAUSE of (or maybe in spite of lol) my addiction to drugs and to opiates/heroin in particular. It definitely makes it a lot easier to go into a kick and begin the detox process, if not physically then mentally, and it certainly helps me to feel much more confident about my ability to recover overall. Five years ago, the thought of going through withdrawals and then never using again would have terrified me, would have seemed impossible even, and that fear in itself would prevent me from trying at all and cause me to fail in self-defeat before ever even having the chance to start!! Not only that but I was perfectly content to run amok on the streets and commit whatever crimes and to hang out with other users who, at the end of the day, it would not be doing me any favors to be associating so closely with these types of people.

These days, things are sooo much different, it's like night and day!! I get excited at the prospect of detoxing and ultimately getting clean, and if I fail, I am more than willing to get up and dust myself off to try again. The street life no longer holds its appeal, if anything the daily hustle and grind has become stale and exhausting... anything I do to support my habit is purely out of necessity and is avoided as long as possible. There is no joy or excitement in chasing that high anymore, its all about getting well and thats it. Most of all, I have cut myself off as much as possible from fellow users and only associate with them when its necessary. My days of hanging out and running the streets with them by choice are loooong over, and I only use by myself or with my girl. The majority of these people were toxic as fuck, and I have done my best to cut the majority of them off and replace them with healthy relationships with people who dont use heroin and who are much better influences in my life. The whole lifestyle and the people who are still so deeply entrenched in it are just dull and honestly, fucking annoying to me now. Withdrawals are no longer something to be so fearful of that they become a handicap to my recovery, they are simply a necessary evil and something I realize and accept that I have to deal with if I truly am going to recover. I am not nearly as reckless as I once was. I no longer point fingers or lay blame on anyone else or on external circumstances for my situation and I am fully cognizant of the fact that any changes I make have to come from me and only me, because ultimately only I am responsible for my situation and my quality of life. Most importantly, I am no longer so hard on myself... I dont look at myself as a hopeless piece of shit junkie anymore who is stuck in a situation that will never get better. Instead, I know that I am NOT defined by my addiction and that I do in fact have worth as a human being, that I am simply struggling at the moment with a problem that I am doing my best to solve. I dont scramble around anymore trying to put on a front or a facade simply so other people wont judge me, and as a general rule, I have found that the more I have come to accept myself and own my problems, the more other people are capable of seeing me in the same way... and for those who still cant see past my addiction to the woman inside, who still make snap judgements based on this disease I have... fuck em, dude. I am no longer crippled by the stigma and fear of judgement from others because *I* know theres more to me than that and that I still have value and worth as a human being... and I feel that this, more than anything, is what has helped me the most. Reclaiming my sense of worth and self-respect and self confidence has really done wonders for my ability to ultimately heal.

And all that is just scratching the surface. I have matured in so many ways... physically, emotionally, mentally, spiritually... over the course of my addiction, ways I never could have dreamed of even just a few years ago. And all of it has been necessary and helpful in its own way in helping me to grow out of my addiction, in which I used to be sooo deeply entrenched, and into a recovery-oriented mindset even while I am actively using. Its encouraging to know that we are capable of growing so much. It gives me hope because I know that even if I fail, in time I WILL get it right, if not grow out of it completely someday :)

Sorry for the rambling, I hope this made sense lol I took a couple Xanax earlier...

I don't know the last time I talked to you about my novel, but I've written quite a lot on it (well over 600,000 words afaik?). I've been investing more time in other life priorities but I always think about the characters and plot of my novel, and always look forward to finishing it one day. :) Definitely it is still one of my main goals for my life.