• Find All Reports by Search Term
    Find Reports
    Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Proscaline - First Time - A Wonderfully Complete Musical Exploration

Great read, Xorkoth! Thanks for posting.

Of the mescaline analogs, I believed only methallylescaline definitively and proscaline speculatively to be worthwhile, but I'd never had a chance to try proscaline. Several reports out there described it as an underappreciated gem, much like MAL, and boy was MAL ever a gem.

YMMV, of course, but I found MAL to be the only non-mescaline PEA psychedelic so far to have the potential for depth and fulfilling personal growth. It's cloudier, more visual, and distractingly euphoric. While I find them remarkably phenomenologically similar, at least one person I know who has tried both does not agree, finding MAL to be quite inferior. It also has strange side-effects at above average doses to the point where those side-effects have made me a little concerned for others' safety. For once, Shulgin overestimated the dosages--reading the PIHKAL reports, I'm surprised he didn't notice.

I heard a couple of positive reports for escaline. Some say that it shines above 100mg, but I suspect it may be pushing a delicate substance too hard. Then again, it could be like 2C-D, a delightful enhancer at low doses that shines at higher doses; or like 2C-C, an absolute drag until pushing into high doses.

Anyway, I recommend snagging some MAL if it's around at some point, as I don't think it was popular enough that there will be a lot of future syntheses. I regret not picking up proscaline several years ago for just that reason.

I ordered MAL from a Chinese vendor once, and he failed to include it in my order. Said he'd send it next time I ordered. So I ordered again (turns out he had great DOC for insanely cheap, so I got more DOC to have a lifetime supply since it's one of my very favorite drugs), and reminded him of the MAL and he said don't worry, no problem, but that order came and still no MAL. I ordered yet again, some tryptamines, STILL no MAL (but I did get a bunch of insanely cheap and good 5-MeO-MiPT that time). Then he got shut down. I also ordered MAL, AL, escaline, proscaline, cyclopropylmescaline, and I think even another mescaline analogue from a different Chinese vendor much later (oh yeah, and TMA-2 and TMA-6) for the most ridiculously low prices you could imagine, and the escaline turned out, via GC/MS, to be very dirty and filled with lots of impurities, while the proscaline was clean and pure (and as evidenced by this report, it's quite wonderful). The guy told me they were all in stock and after I sent money he said, well, they're being synthed. I waited for 6 months and still nothing except escaline and proscaline were in stock, so I was like, whatever, and changed my order.

Basically I've had really bad luck with mescaline analogues, except for proscaline which I feel like I scored on, so all in all worth it I guess. I wish my escaline wasn't probably filled with fucked up shit though, I was actually more excited about it, a friend on here told me it's like 75% as good as mescaline, quite similar in effect, and significantly more potent.

Thanks, will do. :) Also, I hope to post some tracks in PD social sometime soon. We've been working on our first EP and it's been hard to get anything else done, even mixing down jams.

I tried this again for band practice, at 55mg. I took it a number of hours in advance and hung out with my girlfriend and her friend before, as well as helped my friend move all of the junk and furniture out of the upstairs apartment which was the home of his very recently deceased ex/our close friend. I was feeling socially awkward and a bit anxious during that part, and also the experience of clearing out all of her stuff was pretty intense, a lot more intense than I realized. And then when I got to practice, our guitarist had told his girlfriend (who lives there with him now, pretty recent change) that we would hang out and grill, and he told us we were going to practice and just grill right at first. I think he told us one thing and her another, he tends to do that because he doesn't like confrontation. We spent 2 hours of our 3 hour practice time grilling, me and the drummer were getting really annoyed (although the food was excellent), and then we started to set up to practice and his girlfriend became clearly annoyed and they started having heated discussions in his room with the door closed. Finally he came out when we only had 30 minutes left, we ended up playing for an hour and 15 minutes though, we just went past the normal cutoff time. We ended up getting 2 of the base tracks for our EP, and played really well, which surprised me because I was so annoyed I was actively angry by then.

I would say that the proscaline still aided in music that time but overall it was an uncomfortable presence, but I think it was mainly because of the weird social dynamics and annoyance at my friend's lack of ability to adequately communicate to everyone. And the stuff with our friend's apartment was very jarring. In retrospect it was definitely not the right time to take a psychedelic that day. I did it because we were supposed to be spending 3+ hours getting all our live takes down for our EP, but all things considered it was an impulsive decision that wasn't the best idea.

Moral of the story: set and setting are always important, regardless of how experienced you are. I felt like there was a somewhat unpleasant bodyload and a good bit of anxiety and awkwardness that never dissipated, which contrasted pretty strongly with the first time.