Published Survey on experiences with 5-MeO-DMT

akdavis

Bluelighter
Hello,

We are researchers from Bowling Green State University working on a project regarding the experiences of people who have tried 5-MeO-DMT. This project involves asking about your attitudes and beliefs about your experience with this substance, including the short-term and long-term effects, and other experiences.

If you are interested in participating or would like to read more about the study, please click the link below to the secure study site. We anticipate that it will take you no longer than 20 minutes to fill out the survey. Your participation is completely anonymous and voluntary. As an incentive for participating, and as a way to “pay it forward,” we will donate $2.00 per person (up to $250.00) to the Multidisciplinary Association of Psychedelic Studies as a way to say thank you for your time.

<<Survey is now closed>>

Thanks,
Alan and Harold

Alan K. Davis, Ph.D.
[email protected]

Harold Rosenberg, Ph.D.
[email protected]

Last edited:
My pleasure, Alan, Harold. I spoke with some very talented students from BGSU recently and was impressed with their research. Good luck to you in your work

My pleasure, Alan, Harold. I spoke with some very talented students from BGSU recently and was impressed with their research. Good luck to you in your work

Thank YOU! We really appreciate you taking the time to help us with this project :)

Cheers,
Alan

Thank you for the support! I am really excited to conduct this study and I'm hoping to use this as a foundation to support a small clinical trial using 5-MeO. :)

i completed the questionnaire. thanks and good luck with your study.

alasdair

Can I ask why you're interested in 5-MeO-DMT?

If you'd rather not say, it's no biggie

just ask if they party that is universal for do u do coke or do u do crys now if they say yes then u ask clear or white or white gurl or christina?? then talk about sex...works for me

Hi! So sorry for the late reply! I am interested in this molecule because of it's potential to transform mental health treatment and to connect and transform humans. I think that it is the future of psychiatry (my professional field).

Cheers,
Alan

Just a quick comment, the bit on experiences of your first 5-Meo-DMT session may be a bit misleading due to individuals trying too low a dose (good practice when trying any psychedelic for the first time) or issues with the pipe/inhalation/burning of substance/holding vapour. My first experience wasn't particularly memorable or effective for these reasons.

This study has been published!

Title of paper: The epidemiology of 5-methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine (5-MeO-DMT) use: Benefits, consequences, patterns of use, subjective effects, and reasons for consumption

Abstract:

Background/aim:

5-Methoxy-N,N-dimethyltryptamine (5-MeO-DMT) is a psychoactive compound found in several plants and in high concentrations in Bufo alvarius toad venom. Synthetic, toad, and plant-sourced 5-MeO-DMT are used for spiritual and recreational purposes and may have psychotherapeutic effects. However, the use of 5-MeO-DMT is not well understood. Therefore, we examined patterns of use, motivations for consumption, subjective effects, and potential benefits and consequences associated with 5-MeO-DMT use.
Methods:

Using internet-based advertisements, 515 respondents (Mage=35.4. SD=11.7; male=79%; White/Caucasian=86%; United States resident=42% ) completed a web-based survey.
Results:

Most respondents consumed 5-MeO-DMT infrequently (<once/year), for spiritual exploration, and had used less than four times in their lifetime. The majority (average of 90% ) reported moderate-to-strong mystical-type experiences (Mintensity=3.64, SD=1.11; range 0–5; e.g., ineffability, timelessness, awe/amazement, experience of pure being/awareness), and relatively fewer (average of 37% ) experienced very slight challenging experiences (Mintensity=0.95, SD=0.91; range 0–5; e.g., anxiousness, fear). Less than half (39% ) reported repeated consumption during the same session, and very few reported drug craving/desire (8% ), or legal (1% ), medical (1% ), or psychiatric (1% ) problems related to use. Furthermore, of those who reported being diagnosed with psychiatric disorders, the majority reported improvements in symptoms following 5-MeO-DMT use, including improvements related to post-traumatic stress disorder (79% ), depression (77% ), anxiety (69% ), and alcoholism (66% ) or drug use disorder (60% ).
Conclusion:

Findings suggest that 5-MeO-DMT is used infrequently, predominantly for spiritual exploration, has low potential for addiction, and might have psychotherapeutic effects. Future research should examine the safety and pharmacokinetics of 5-MeO-DMT administration in humans using rigorous experimental designs.

Link: http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/full/10.1177/0269881118769063