• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Short Term Xanax Use

Neveragain69

Greenlighter
I was recently prescribed 1mg Xanax at night before bedtime. I took 6 mg over 7 days and stopped because I was experiencing withdrawal between doses. I didn't know I was supposed to taper. It's been 11 days and I'm still experiencing anxiety. It comes in waves but it's like every other day. Is this withdrawal and if so should it last much longer since I only took it a week?

In my experience benzo withdrawal can last quite awhile, and shorter acting ones like Xanax are both tricky to taper off and have swift rebound anxiety. I'd talk to your doctor about switching to a different medication. I'm sure they'll be able to provide some tips on alleviating some of the withdrawal symptoms, too. You should start feeling better soon

I don't think you would get withdrawals after only one week of use. Plus you were only using 1mg doses. However, everyone's body is different. I have also been prescribed them for sleep and used them to help me sleep when I quit opiates. I took 2mg every night for 10 days or so and experienced no withdrawal symptoms after running out of my prescription.

Thanks for the replys. I'm 5 weeks out now and definitely had some form of withdrawals. It's gotten better. At this point it's mostly sleep interruptions and flu like symptoms which mostly occur in the morning. Some morning anxiety. My evenings are pretty good. I hope that this is over soon. I've never been so miserable. I can't imagine if I'd been a high dose long term user. I guess I'm sensitive to Xanax. I'll have no problems avoiding it in the future.

By the way, I did talk to my doctor. He said he was shocked I'd have any symptoms after such a short use and I should be fine in a couple of days. That was two weeks ago. Goes to show that not many doctors understand these drugs.