• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Please help how to correctly quit diazepam (valium)

tomtomster

Greenlighter
Hi There. I've been on diazepam around 4 months(mostly around 30mg a day ,sometimes i used to do up to 100 mg o more) and one day i just stop using it and had very horrible and dangerous withdrawal symptoms - my body was shaking,didn't sleep,muscle spasms, sweating and lot more different withdrawal symptoms(I didn't know this drug is so DANGEROUS).Only later i found information that i should quit very slowly.
After few weeks of very small doses and withdrawal symptoms - currently I'm on 10 mg a day ( 5mg in morning and 5mg before bed time).Should i take daily dose in one time or should i split ?
Can anybody give an advice how to correcty quit this horrible drug. Iv'e seen tappering schedules on internet,but those was with absolutely different amounts and included other medication.

Many Thanks,

If you want to quit benzos go see a doctor and do so under their supervision. People have died attempting to quit benzos on their own.

yeah, i wouldn't recommend trying to do this on your own.
just for peace of mind, it is really the best practice to have a doctor overseeing the final stages of your taper (as well as checking your health [blood pressure, heart rate, usual observations) so you don't end up having a seizure.

having said that, you've done well to cut your dose that much.
when i was tapered off benzos, i went down to 5mg/day before stopping completely - and my doctor told me that it didn't really matter when i dosed, so long as i had that much per day.
by the time i ceased taking diazepam, i'd tapered to 5mg, and experienced no withdrawals to speak of, really.

the difference, however, is that i was doing a supervised taper - so i can't tell you that it's safe to jump off at 5mg/day or anything like that. i'm not qualified to say anything like that (because i have no idea if it is safe or not) - and because benzo withdrawal is really dangerous, i'd really recommend you at least seek guidance from a doctor.

you've done well to get this far, but it's not something you should really do without medical supervision IMO. i've had seizures from benzo withdrawal, and it was seriously the most terrifying thing i've ever experienced.

yeah, i wouldn't recommend trying to do this on your own.
just for peace of mind, it is really the best practice to have a doctor overseeing the final stages of your taper (as well as checking your health [blood pressure, heart rate, usual observations) so you don't end up having a seizure.

having said that, you've done well to cut your dose that much.
when i was tapered off benzos, i went down to 5mg/day before stopping completely - and my doctor told me that it didn't really matter when i dosed, so long as i had that much per day.
by the time i ceased taking diazepam, i'd tapered to 5mg, and experienced no withdrawals to speak of, really.

the difference, however, is that i was doing a supervised taper - so i can't tell you that it's safe to jump off at 5mg/day or anything like that. i'm not qualified to say anything like that (because i have no idea if it is safe or not) - and because benzo withdrawal is really dangerous, i'd really recommend you at least seek guidance from a doctor.

you've done well to get this far, but it's not something you should really do without medical supervision IMO. i've had seizures from benzo withdrawal, and it was seriously the most terrifying thing i've ever experienced.

Had a doctor appointment today. He will check me now each 2 weeks ( hopefully it is not big gaps)
He said i should stay on 10 mg per day , later go to 7,5 ,later to 5. hopefully it will work and it is not big jumps.( i will try to reduce each dose after 7-10 days or so)
Withdrawal symptoms what i was experiencing when i runned out of diazepam(i was not prescribed to this) was the worst feeling ever( i was not able to do even a simple tasks- HELL)
This drug is definitely my worst mistake what i done and now I'm trying to get out. I was little bit nervous and had panic moments before Christmas when i start to use ,but later it was just the way to get HIGH .
Really hope to get away from this situation safely

Had a doctor appointment today. He will check me now each 2 weeks ( hopefully it is not big gaps)
He said i should stay on 10 mg per day , later go to 7,5 ,later to 5. hopefully it will work and it is not big jumps.( i will try to reduce each dose after 7-10 days or so)
Withdrawal symptoms what i was experiencing when i runned out of diazepam(i was not prescribed to this) was the worst feeling ever( i was not able to do even a simple tasks- HELL)
This drug is definitely my worst mistake what i done and now I'm trying to get out. I was little bit nervous and had panic moments before Christmas when i start to use ,but later it was just the way to get HIGH .
Really hope to get away from this situation safely

Amen !! @spacejunk and @PriestTheyCallHim listen to these wise men. Been there done that, it is the most terrifying experience I once
had in my life, I never planned a taper, I just was lost in a brand new city called Tallahassee Florida, and all of my sources were at least
150+ miles away in Jacksonville Florida USA I ran out cold turkey doing 80 Mg per day was a spree alcoholic, mixing both together and
lived a very crazy lifestyle between riding a mechanical bull at original Mickey Gilley's Nightclub in Pasadena Texas to Art Stock's PLAYPEN
SOUTH Ft Lauderdale FLA USA.

I had a grand mal seizure around 48 hours after my last dose of Roche Valium cold turkeying and I was going so paranoid my mind told me
lies that I was convinced the DEA USA were watching my motel room.......I drove my self to ER and I collapsed in front entrance or in
waiting area with a Grand Mal Seizure, emergency technicians shot me up with liquid diazepam I.M. so I guess I would not convulse further and
swallow my tongue and choke to death.

I was restored to temporary sanity but had a long road to recovery at age 29 with only 10 x 10 mg Roche Valium pills left and a 80 mg oral
daily habit to maintain with alcohol dependence and MJ. Listen to these wise moderators. IMHO I ended up in a USA hospital, but no one
could tell me how to run my life, I was half way insane graduated to Coca Roca and William H Rorer Quaalude 714's and ended up eventually
in 42 day inpatient treatment center for detox and monitoring with medical professionals 24/7 about 3 long years later or I would have
overdosed for sure before I reached age 33 !!!!!