• LAVA Moderator: Mysterier

Long term sick back to work?

Markomarkh

Bluelighter
Hi all, I'm 38 been on long term benefits for most my working life due to spells of severe depression, anxiety and mild skitzo episodes on and off but recently I've been okay due to keeping fit and losing weight and almost lost a stone, not had an episode since 2007. All my life I've struggled to get employment, I'm someone that does not really fit in usual mainstream society, I've done very little work but have done a bit, I've mainly done NVQ courses in IT, MUsic and ART that I feel only helped my hobbies rather than my work life or career, as far as I'm concerned the music industry is dead and I'm not that good either, same with art and IT industry all them jobs have been taken by better people. I feel having Aspergers doesn't help neither and feel this government doesn't help much and feel I've been neglected. I've tried these Shawtrust or power to work courses that not much cop and are silly groups learning to write a CV and say affirmations in silly talks and lectures on how to apply for jobs not much help. I mean where are these jobs? IM 38 and I feel lost in this country and not much opportunity for me. I feel this government just let most jobless waste away on benefits. I feel I'm not living but just existing! But I am going to job centre again to see what they can do but I don't have much hope do I?

Mark h

I can see you feel frustrated Mark. You're not alone, a lot of people feel unsupported and struggling to cope. It's great that you're managing to lose weight and get fitter though.

What kind of things interest you, and do you have any special interests?

Have you thought about looking at online work? The work sphere is so global nowadays I know countless people who work remotely & entirely from home. Perhaps you could bring that question to the job centre?

Have you thought about looking at online work? The work sphere is so global nowadays I know countless people who work remotely & entirely from home. Perhaps you could bring that question to the job centre?

What type of online work is there?? Apart from filling in surveys and building websites? I know people make living out of podcasts and YouTube videos but you need to be popular or have a good niche subject.