• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Varg on autism

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
Think of what you want of him but I think he makes some very well points at least on this topic...

I don't know what to think of the idea there being a link between "wildness" and autism, personally I would ask for some other sources on the claim and I'm not big on the way this would allow people to imply autistic people are primitive or wild. But if your'e not yet familiar with the concept of neurodiversity and with the social model of disability as it applies to autism I would recommend you research both of those things.

The social model of disability is very much in line with the ideas presented in this video regarding the fact that autism is only considered abnormal because the world we live in isn't built for the way the autistic mind functions. And the concept of neurodiversity posits that autism is a natural form of diversity of the human mind that should be embraced and not cured or pathologized. Of course they're not things everyone agrees with but there's been a strong movement within the autistic community to give more merit to both concepts and if you agree with the things mentioned in this video I think you would find both quite interesting.