The Electronic Music Production Megathread v. Phase One

Tranced

Bluelight Crew
Edit: After a few recent questions regarding production and no viable threads to merge with, this is now the The Electronic Music Production Megathread v. Phase One.

The content goes without saying, but feel free to post your:
  • Production tips
  • Production questions
  • Sound design discussion
  • VST discussion
  • DAW discussion
  • 'How do I make this sound' type questions
  • Etc etc

The first few posts might not make complete sense as I merge a few other recent posts with the thread. For showcasing your productions and getting feedback, check The productions thread Part III!

Cheers.

-Tranced

--------------

Eyy guys and girls! I'm new to the EDM scene, I am trying to get some tracks created. Anyone use FL Studios and have any hidden tutorial videos that can help? I found one on youtube thus far which has helped tremendously! It's an overwhelming program!! xD

I don't use FL Studio, but I used to. I find that the layout is quite conducive to good flow and arrangement of tracks; even more so than Ableton, to be honest.

There are no 'hidden tutorials' which are really going to be any better than the thousands of videos available on youtube. IMO a lot of production videos are made by people with questionable abilities anyway. I see a lot of people giving advice on making some really weak sounds which would never stand up in a track. That's not to say all are like that (judge each for yourself), but my point being that even the paid for videos can lack quality information... so just cherry-pick the good ones on youtube.

If you want my advice, then it is to listen to a lot of music/find your own niche, invest a lot of time creating it, and if you think something just sounds weak/shit, don't be afraid to delete that sound and use a new one; but then again, don't fall into the rut of not making/finishing a track because it isn't perfect.

Seriously, the secret is: time + effort + knowledge = well trained ears/mind = good tunes.

In terms of where to actually start I'd recommend learning the raw basics and just progressing as you go. Learning to arrange a 4/4 beat (or whatever) with a kick/hats/other percs, and then learning to arrange a bassline/leads etc and EQ'ing so that the bass/mid/high frequencies don't clash, then arranging into a track. Then focus on synthesizing your own basslines/leads/etc and making the kind of sounds you love.

A year down the line you'll be listening to your old sounds in disbelief, instantly recognising what was wrong in them. Eventually you'll be making sounds and instantly recognising them as professional standard, and hopefully compiling releasable tracks.

Last edited:
Kira, yeah I'm a 15 year FL user, but no hidden video (I thought about making some tut videos but there are already so many on youtube). Mind your f5, f6,f7,f8,f9 and f10s. It can get a little messy on the windows, 2 monitors help, usually keeping the playlist fully on the right monitor with some effects behind it (pressing f5 a time or two will reveal the effects)

Get flexing on that sequencer and sample-fluxing (fruity granulizer is fun(ctional)), then start getting into VSTs and VSTi's for DSP and synthesis. You can do a lot to make plain-old drum samples sound like your own with some clever effects-track routing and effects chains, basics like 'compressors after equalizer usually', try putting compressor after the reverb, automating the wet mix level of effects with a 4beat-long waveform, throw it on the 16-bar turnaround, I'm just throwing out examples of your infinite possibilities, and advanced shit like side-compressing drums with a funky synth or long reverb.

Have fun manifesting your mind!

Oh yeah and you'll likely up your experience level faster if you have a period of daily fruity-looping, starting a new project every day, taking a new path each time...and at the end pick out your favorites to finish ;D

Last edited by a moderator:
closed hi-hat
open hi-hat with probably a longer decay

in between kicks, no one ever told me that for creating a 4/4 beat...when I was listening to dance records I never understood how they created that sound on the drums, of the hi-hat being closed and then releasing the pedal so you get that kah-shhhhh sound basically found in all Disco. Its so easy on regular drums but when using samples its completely different.

Changing velocity basically changes the whole game up for sequencing drums. Or anything really.

Compression blew my mind in how you can create a groove by lowering the volume on everything on your track when the kick hits.

Good EQing can make your muddy track more clear and can make it sounds more like a regularly produced track.

I don't know how levels work tbh. I really don't know if things should be kept at a specific volume, sometimes I want things loud and its way too fucking loud and sometimes shit gets lost. Sometimes tracks are too quiet. Sometimes the bass destroys, somtimes I can't even hear it in another track. I'm still learning.

Hey everyone! =D

I did a little searching and could not find a thread that was just for people who use Fruity Loops Studio. I use it, and am pretty new to this whole music making thing so I figured starting a thread for people who use this program would be a good spot for people to post questions, tips, tricks etc. I also have a few questions to start this thread off :)

I've been wanting to dive into FL Studio and start making music. Low and behold it was tougher than I thought it would be (for a noob like me at least)
Last year I got into electronic music, and have loved every second of it since then! I used to mainly listen to dubstep (Skrillex...don't hate!) The kid is talented, and some of the songs were amazing. After a while I did get tired of that type of music. My favorites include Deadmau5, Krewella, Odesza, Pegboard Nerds, Tristam, Vassy and a lot of the Monstercat Studio stuff. Any of those artist's can get me in this type of spiritual world away from reality. Its amazing.

My question is this... What type of plugins do artist's like Krewella, Deadmau5, and Pegboard Nerds use? I know they probably don't use just FL Studio, if at all even. But is there any plugins that can make some of there "sounds" and beats? I only have the free version of FL, I didn't want to spend boatloads of money on something I might not like, or something I wasn't 100% on. If I can make similar sounding music, and turn it into my own unique sound then of course, I will buy the program! Any help is sooo appreciated!

*EDIT* Forgot to mention, in regards to my question, I have used GMS, Sytrus, and Reverb but nothing else. Sytrus did give me an effect that I liked a lot. Not too sure what reverb does/is, and GMS was fun to use as well!

Last edited by a moderator:
You're in the same situation many of us have been in; new to production, a bit overwhelmed, and looking for the elusive plugin which will make the sounds you love. Fact is, it just doesn't work that way (sorry!). Like I said in the other thread time + effort + knowledge = well trained mind & ears = professional quality music.

Basically, the plugins they/pros use are exactly the same kinds of plugins that everybody else uses. The people that you listen to make each individual sound by using a VST synthesizer (obviously people use hardware too, but let's not go there; either way it's a similar process...), such as Albino, Massive, Sylenth, Synth1 (all favourites of mine and most people, including pros), and they use those synthesizer plugins to design sounds from the ground up (i.e by starting with a blank initial preset), gradually tweaking the basic sound until it sounds like how they want.

At that point people often add VST effects plugins (less is often more), and which effect you use just depends on the type of sound you're going for, or whatever works. But commonly used plugins are things like EQ, delay, reverb, saturation/distortion, compressors, and all kinds of weird plugins you stumble upon. If you google "best free delay plugins", etc, then you will find a lot of very high quality plugins which are often used by the artists you love. Stuff like Synth1 and Trancedrive. You can find a lot of free (legal) plugins at: https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/newest

At first it's overwhelming, but just put in the time, and learn synthesis. This trains your ears and increases your knowledge of the way electronic music works. I was stuck for a long time when just trying to find a patch which fit. If you find a patch you love, which is the kind of sound you want, then try and recreate it in a synthesizer. And if you find yourself using certain effects, or certain parameters within a synth, then be sure to read articles on what they actually are.

I was going to recommend you buy the following book, but it's now free as an ebook. Stick it on a tablet/laptop/kindle/phone and read it through. I saw somebody recommend it on another forum, and it has helped me immensely. You can download it at:
Simon Cann - How to Make a Noise: a Comprehensive Guide to Synthesizer Programming
https://noisesculpture.com/how-to-make-a-noise-a-comprehensive-guide-to-synthesizer-programming/

Seriously, this book is a god send. If you really want to learn to produce, then I suggest going down this route. Make your sounds from scratch.

You're in the same situation many of us have been in; new to production, a bit overwhelmed, and looking for the elusive plugin which will make the sounds you love. Fact is, it just doesn't work that way (sorry!). Like I said in the other thread time + effort + knowledge = well trained mind & ears = professional quality music.

Basically, the plugins they/pros use are exactly the same kinds of plugins that everybody else uses. The people that you listen to make each individual sound by using a VST synthesizer (obviously people use hardware too, but let's not go there; either way it's a similar process...), such as Albino, Massive, Sylenth, Synth1 (all favourites of mine and most people, including pros), and they use those synthesizer plugins to design sounds from the ground up (i.e by starting with a blank initial preset), gradually tweaking the basic sound until it sounds like how they want.

At that point people often add VST effects plugins (less is often more), and which effect you use just depends on the type of sound you're going for, or whatever works. But commonly used plugins are things like EQ, delay, reverb, saturation/distortion, compressors, and all kinds of weird plugins you stumble upon. If you google "best free delay plugins", etc, then you will find a lot of very high quality plugins which are often used by the artists you love. Stuff like Synth1 and Trancedrive. You can find a lot of free (legal) plugins at: https://www.kvraudio.com/plugins/newest

At first it's overwhelming, but just put in the time, and learn synthesis. This trains your ears and increases your knowledge of the way electronic music works. I was stuck for a long time when just trying to find a patch which fit. If you find a patch you love, which is the kind of sound you want, then try and recreate it in a synthesizer. And if you find yourself using certain effects, or certain parameters within a synth, then be sure to read articles on what they actually are.

I was going to recommend you buy the following book, but it's now free as an ebook. Stick it on a tablet/laptop/kindle/phone and read it through. I saw somebody recommend it on another forum, and it has helped me immensely. You can download it at:
Simon Cann - How to Make a Noise: a Comprehensive Guide to Synthesizer Programming
https://noisesculpture.com/how-to-make-a-noise-a-comprehensive-guide-to-synthesizer-programming/

Seriously, this book is a god send. If you really want to learn to produce, then I suggest going down this route. Make your sounds from scratch.

I thank you SO much! I read all of that, and will be checking out that link, as well as the ebook! Ever since I started listening to this music it is something I have always enjoyed.

I've seen some of those synths like Massive and Sylenth but had no idea what they were or how to use them. haha. But when you say create sounds from scratch, would that be like picking a synth and tweaking the decay, and other things and then pressing different keys to play the sound? I'm sure there is way more to it then that. I think I might actually load the program up soon and just mess around for a little bit. I will be checking the links provided. Which again, thank you!

Also, have you heard of the online classes that Deadmau5 has? I forget the price, but I think it was like $100. I've seen countless ads of that class on youtube. It seems like it might be informative. Just curious to see if anyone has tried it or not.

**Side Note**
Hopefully more FL users decide to post questions here. This was meant for anyone who uses the program rather than starting new FL studio threads and spamming the forum. :)

^Many of us probably don't use flstudio, but most DAWs (digital audio workstations) are pretty much the same, so often you will just have to kind of translate certain advice/tutorials from one DAW to another. I haven't used FLstudio extensively since it was fruity loops, so I'd really be of little help on FL specifically. The way you structure things in fruityloops is a lot different from, say, ableton, but learning how to layout a track and get to grips with the software is something that can be learnt from the manual/easily accessible tutorials/messing about. Using the VST synths/effects units within the DAW is pretty much the same.

And yes, exactly. You find the basic/blank preset which has all the envelopes/filters untouched, and then find a basic wave sound such as a sine/sawtooth/triangle/square etc (I tend to use a lot of sawtooths). Then you find the right note that you want to play by using your computer keyboard/a USB keyboard/midi keyboard to press a certain key; higher pitched musical notes contain higher frequencies, whilst lower down the musical scale is more bassy etc. Then you start tweaking things like filters; low pass filters are used for bass as they let bassy sounds 'pass' through the filter, whilst cutting the highs. Leads/mid bass might use a band (mid frequency) filter. High pass for high sounds, etc. Then you might tweak the envelopes, etc, etc, etc.

Really, the book will.explain better than I ever can. I'm essentially just regurgitating the things I saw people advise on other forums but never really understood... until I read the book!

I've actually watched some of the deadmau5 tutorial. I always disliked his personality until I watched it, but the first couple of videos were mainly pep talks and I saw quite a bit of negative criticism. The online classes are where you can ask tour own stuff, but you want to have a good idea of what you're doing first. It would be a waste of money to just 'turn up' and ask him how to program a clap or something.

Really, I find many of these videos pointless. You spend an hour listening to somebody waffle on only to learn things you already knew.

Read the book and learn to use a synth. Download synth1 & trancedrive, and fuck around with them. Go through the presets and try to recreate some from scratch. Sometimes it helps to take a screenshot and follow that.

P.s having a thread that is FL only might deter people from posting, because many of us are using all kinds of different DAWS. I understand your reasoning, bit really it doesn't matter. There are FL studio forums where you will get a much better response, from experts at FL. I can't help with FL but I can help with general cross platform production stuff. I might merge this with another thread or something, just so you know. But that should make it more accessible. :)

P.s.s if you post examples of specific sounds you're trying to create (make sure to be specific with links to tunes/times/descriptions so we know what you mean), then people might be able to point you in the right direction.

Last edited:
And yes, exactly. You find the basic/blank preset which has all the envelopes/filters untouched, and then find a basic wave sound such as a sine/sawtooth/triangle/square etc (I tend to use a lot of sawtooths). Then you find the right note that you want to play by using your computer keyboard/a USB keyboard/midi keyboard to press a certain key; higher pitched musical notes contain higher frequencies, whilst lower down the musical scale is more bassy etc. Then you start tweaking things like filters; low pass filters are used for bass as they let bassy sounds 'pass' through the filter, whilst cutting the highs. Leads/mid bass might use a band (mid frequency) filter. High pass for high sounds, etc. Then you might tweak the envelopes, etc, etc, etc.Really, the book will.explain better than I ever can. I'm essentially just regurgitating the things I saw people advise on other forums but never really understood... until I read the book!I've actually watched some of the deadmau5 tutorial. I always disliked his personality until I watched it, but the first couple of videos were mainly pep talks and I saw quite a bit of negative criticism. The online classes are where you can ask tour own stuff, but you want to have a good idea of what you're doing first. It would be a waste of money to just 'turn up' and ask him how to program a clap or something.Really, I find many of these videos pointless. You spend an hour listening to somebody waffle on only to learn things you already knew.Read the book and learn to use a synth. Download synth1 & trancedrive, and fuck around with them. Go through the presets and try to recreate some from scratch. Sometimes it helps to take a screenshot and follow that.P.s having a thread that is FL only might deter people from posting, because many of us are using all kinds of different DAWS. I understand your reasoning, bit really it doesn't matter. There are FL studio forums where you will get a much better response, from experts at FL. I can't help with FL but I can help with general cross platform production stuff. I might merge this with another thread or something, just so you know. But that should make it more accessible. :)P.s.s if you post examples of specific sounds you're trying to create (make sure to be specific with links to tunes/times/descriptions so we know what you mean), then people might be able to point you in the right direction.
Tranced, you are simply amazing! Thank you so much! I am downloading that book at this moment. Also, huge thank you for putting all of these posts in one mega thread :DOn a side note, I took some of your advice and tried messing around with blank synth's and actually made some really cool sounds until my laptop restarted on me D: But nonetheless I learned a little bit just by messing around :p It sucks that I have the demo verison on FL, I can't save anything XD lolOn a side side note, when I get home from work I will post a few of my favorite songs and the sounds that I am attracted to the most.Cheers!

Alright so I have a few links of songs that I absolutely love. I'm going to post them, and the times of each song that I like. I'm not exactly sure how to make the following sounds, but I'm going to take a guess and hope I'm right! Also, I'm very sorry when I try to explain this type of stuff, I'm pretty new to this type of music and extremely new to production! So bare with me! Lol. (Also, my plugins I use in FL might be different, so hopefully you guys know what I'm talking about) XD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gpspgp3QQqo
Between 1:00 - 1:30. and in the same song right at 4:59 that noise I find incredible! (Not the bass, well I mean yeah that to lol)
I'm not 100% sure but for the sound at 1 minute, I think someone can make that sound with a plugin called Sytrus, or GMS. I have used both a bit, and I think one could acheive that sound with those plugins. The second sound I have no idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MwSkC85TDgY
This song... <3 Just the entire thing! I love it. I have no idea which plugins you would have to use. I imagine it would be a number of different plugins.
2:15, that drop/growl is pretty cool sounding!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMokMQ8Bu7Y
Again, another cool song! 0:43 Amazing sound, a mix of a growl and something else. (Again, sorry for not knowing what the hell I'm talking about. lol)
But again, would someone use something like GMS, Sytrus or maybe a Mini Synth? Or a combination of all 3 and more?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmJVXJugwng
Another favorite of mine, at 0:53 that sound... Not sure what that is but it sounds amazing!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC-GflRB0y4
And this, one of my recent favorites. The video is pretty cool to watch btw!
0:47 What the hell is this!? I love that sound lol

I know that's kind of a lot.. I would love to know different Plugins or Synths that could mimic these sounds. I ultimately want to try to become a DJ, or producer or whatever :D And I don't want this reply to seem like I want to make songs that sound EXACTLY like the links I posted, but that is the type of music I'm into, and I would like to try to get my sound like that, but with my own unique twist.

OH and to actually contribute something to this thread here's this... It's for FL but I would imagine someone could use this in other programs... If so, then here ya go for any newer producers :p

https://music.tutsplus.com/tutorials/creating-filthy-dubstep-growls-in-fl-studio--audio-18108

So I've started a local wiki on my computer for documenting the things that I learn through tutorial websites/videos etc. I find it much easier to just read a bullet pointed concise list of how you do something rather than listening to somebody ramble on during a video, and there's a good chance I'll forget what I've learnt. This saves me having to bother watching the same video twice.

I've just sorted my first entry on trance gated vocals, so I'll post it here in case anyone doesn't know the techniques. It tells you how to manually gate them using the automation/utility plugin, and how to gate them using a dummy midi channel, in ableton.

Gating Vocals Using Automation & Utility Plugin
  1. Add the vocal sample to be gated to an audio channel.
  2. Add Utility plugin to the audio channel.
  3. Click once on Utility plugin gain in order to select automation parameter.
  4. Go to Session View > add vocal sample to Clip View > select Envelopes > Utility (if not already selected) > select Gain.
  5. It can help to Right Click > Fixed Grid and set to 1/16, 1/32, or whatever works best. Faster gates i.e 1/32 is generally more trancey.
  6. Go to arrangement window (or alternatively remain in session view), and select a small grid section section on vocal sample with the mouse so that it goes blue.
  7. Use the shift key to quickly drag the automation line down for that section.
  8. Repeat process. Envelopes can be duplicated by selecting Ctrl, Alt & D

Gating Vocals Using a Dummy Midi Channel & Sidechained Noisegate
  1. Create audio channel with vocal sample to be used > Add gate plugin to audio channel.
  2. Create midi channel > Add instance of operator to midi Channel.
  3. Go to Session View > select midi channel "Audio To" > change to Sends Only. //This means that the channel will only be used for routing midi information, and will not play audio.//
  4. Go to audio channel gate > Select sidechain > Add vocal midi channel to sidechain
  5. Create Midi clip on Midi channel and insert some notes. The audio channel sample will play each time a midi note on this dummy channel hits.
  6. Play with threshold parameters to adjust the gate to your liking.

• If the threshold level is all the way up, no sound will be allowed through the gate.
  • If the threshold level is all the way down, all sound will be allowed through the gate.
  • The attack parameter will delay the point at which the gate is first applied.
  • The release parameter will extend the time at which the gate is applied.

I'll be sure to post any more that I do up here.

Use a limiter on the master and set to 0db.

Learn to produce with your tracks on low volume. Save yo ears!

i recommend Rode microphones. mine is so quiet on the hiss front.

^ do you have any experience using mics to capture field recordings/ambient sounds ?

http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/lectures/moodymann-henny-and-kenny

It is a shame that a lot of people just listen to hip hop, or will just listen to rock, and that is all they want to listen to. Y’all old enough up here, y’all remember the first time you had sex, you mean to tell me you're still fucking that same motherfucker? It is a blessing to have experience, it is a true blessing, you have got to share all of that. You've got to have witness to everything. You don't know what is around the corner if you don't peek around that motherfucker. You have got to hear and listen and keep an open mind about things and that is what our DJs used to give us. Today is a little different. You are going to hear that same motherfucking record, not right now but give it 20 minutes that motherfucker is going to be right back on, brainwash your motherfucking ass. And I ain’t going to lie, a lot of that shit I do like. I like steak and potatoes, I can't eat that shit all day every fucking day, though. I like a little difference, a little something.

Last edited:
^ do you have any experience using mics to capture field recordings/ambient sounds ?
No, when I did a podcast for couple years or so, I just used a handheld digital recorder at home locations and in the field, and it worked great.

Edit

Don't post while on drugs kids lo ol

Make ur DAW look pretty with skins and colours so Ur eyes don't bleed :)

Last edited:
I've just found the absolute mother of all film sample websites. Just type in what you want; a phrase of a word, and it will bring up shit loads of clips from random obscure films.

https://getyarn.io

You can just download them as mp4 using the downthemall plugin for firefox, then convert to whatever. This is seriously fucking handy.

I've just found the absolute mother of all film sample websites. Just type in what you want; a phrase of a word, and it will bring up shit loads of clips from random obscure films.

https://getyarn.io

You can just download them as mp4 using the downthemall plugin for firefox, then convert to whatever. This is seriously fucking handy.
uh... may... zing

really great find, thanks for sharing. endless possibilities.