The Electronic Music Production Megathread v. Phase One

this is bloody brilliant. really cool to see how he uses FL studio. and wow, that is a banger in 10 minutes!

I've just found the absolute mother of all film sample websites. Just type in what you want; a phrase of a word, and it will bring up shit loads of clips from random obscure films.

https://getyarn.io

You can just download them as mp4 using the downthemall plugin for firefox, then convert to whatever. This is seriously fucking handy.

Good site for samples thanks,I use Audacity to record them as .wav then can transfer to the sample library on the old music production PC not connected to the net.

Hey everyone! Been awhile since I got to post on here.
When this thread was first started I was trying to learn FL Studios (even half of last year I tried learning it) and for some reason I just couldn't grasp it. I honestly couldn't even make a beat with that program. I since have switched to Ableton Live in the last month.

I only have the demo version, but I have some questions, and need some feedback on a possible song I have started.... ;)
I have owned the demo for about 25 days. Soon the trial expires and I'm forced to buy it :( But it could be worth it. When I first loaded Ableton...I was lost. Had no idea what to do. I watched the following videos (if anyone is new to Ableton they might be able to benefit from these videos)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7wt_NNYMwJY

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKBcu5HMfMM (NOTE: The first 45 minutes is sped up a bit and kind of annoying)

The first video helped me figure out where everything is which was nice. The 2nd video I watched 3 times (once with a friend) and it shows more how to make a basic song.

Now over the last month I have TRIED to make songs, and beats and really anything but have failed pretty bad. lol. I almost felt like giving up but just kept with it. And now here I am 26 days now into my free trial and I have actually come up with something that sounds pretty cool! I am still very new to music production, and I know I need to read up on music theory. I seriously have no idea what almost any terms mean regarding music. I just love music, and listening to it. But I want to try and create it now!

What I would eventually love to branch off and make is something like Techno, or Electronic. But for now I just need to make music.

I have a youtube video of a very short song I'm in the middle of making. It started off with a ton of loops but I have taken them out so I could give it a shot. I have used a loop for the kick, and the shaking noise. (Although I do know how to make a kick, I just liked this one in the song) I also used a loop for the part right before the breakdown, but I did change and cut it a bit. But everything else is my creation. I feel like it is pretty nice at the moment. I know there are quite a few things I should probably change but who knows? This song literally has been produced at Dunkin Donuts and Mcdonalds lol (no joke...) I have listed to it in my car with my system and it sounds good to me, but I still want to change the volumes of different instruments and effects. Also, I feel like I need to add more instruments at the end. I just have not been able to come up with that at the moment.

Anyway, I would LOVE feedback from all you music makers! :p Please don't be rude, but please be honest! If there is something that sounds off, or bad, I would appreciate any help or feedback! I sent this to 5 people on facebook and 4 of the 5 liked it thus far. Also, any ideas on what I could possibly add near the end? I was thinking about adding a different kick after the breakdown, and maybe cutting the wobble noise after the piano starts at the end of the video (although I clearly love that wobble noise..lol)

And my final question before I post the link to the video... Does this trial version come with everything the basic $99 program comes with? I feel like I don't have a lot to work with sound wise. I was tempted to buy some midi effects on a few different websites but I have decided not to.

(PS: Don't mind the MJ meme...had to add a pic to the video and I happened to click that)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAhviTyS2OE

**EDIT**
I had a friend listen to this who is a huge music fan. He listens to all types of music and has great knowledge about music in general. He had kind of compared this to a 90's techno feel (early 90's) I think I may add some more stuff and further edit the whole track. But would love to know what everyone thinks!

Last edited:
if youve tried all the phase distortion, wavetable, additove, subtractive synthesis plugins, and you are looking for a much more powerful tool, check out PURE DATA. works on windows, osx, and LINUX!!!
there are other programs that are also languages for building sound, but i found pd to be quite easy, comparitively. takes a lot of time to learn.

written by mikler puckette, the guy who im guessing almost single handedly wrote max/msp.