• 🇬🇧󠁿 🇸🇪 🇿🇦 🇮🇪 🇬🇭 🇩🇪 🇪🇺
    European & African
    Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • EADD Moderators: axe battler | Pissed_and_messed

Do you play??

Hey nice! That's the hardest bit, i reckon.
Once you're good with the hand coordination of strumming/picking and got the open chords down, it gets easier and more rewarding from there.

Learned any songs or riffs of note?
I think the first 3-chord song i learned was "the lion sleeps tonight" (or whatever that song is called).
"Come as you are" was probably a riff i learned early on too. And a bit of Black Sabbath :)

Dream catch me - newton falukner
Island in the sun - Weser
Live it up - mental as anything
Sonnet - verve

Quite easy and am nearly there with these! Lots of G, C, Am, E etc..

there is a chain (not really the right word - it's 'pay as you feel' kinda hippie fare for the most part) of vegan restaurants over here called "lentil as anything". i'm a big fan.

i like the mentals :)

there is a chain (not really the right word - it's 'pay as you feel' kinda hippie fare for the most part) of vegan restaurants over here called "lentil as anything". i'm a big fan.

i like the mentals :)

lol thats brilliant :)

I <3 playing instruments! I play the guitar, ukulele and I dabble with my clarinet a little more since I moved!

Actual quotes from my Flute teacher in my school reports:

'BPH has a good ear and good rhythmical sense when she remembers to count. At present, her sound is a little faint (she needs to blow harder) and she has difficulty in remembering fingerings...'
Fnaaar

'BPH continued to experience difficulty with rhythm and fingering this term....'
Bit obsessed with fingering, this one

'BPH's progress has been slow this term. She continues to forget fingerings......Because BPH has a musical ear she must surely become very frustrated with the flute and would perhaps be better suited to a different instrument'
Still rubbish at fingering and teacher's obviously had enough of me! I gave up shortly after

I can still play 'Greensleeves' on the recorder though and love to sing.
Unfortunately I was never good or interested in learning & practicing any of the instruments I had lessons of as a child, before pissing everyone off & giving up

fingering takes a bit of practice...
green sleeves seem to come naturally to most children though ;)

honestly though - 'flute teacher'? all kinds of wrong/inappropriate/funny heh

Frustrated with the fiddly process of trying to thread your plectrum under and over the strings to hold it securely once playing is finished, only to have it ping out and disappear under the bed, or even worse, through the sound hole?

Then simply drill a small hole in the middle of your pick and hook it over the free end of a string protruding from the capstan.

Voila! Easy, safe storage and plenty of room for spares...

I hit upon this brainwave only t'other day, after nearly 40 years of 'hunt the pleccy' misery. Best thing I've ever done - ever...

haha that's genius!

the acoustic i play these days - actually both my guitars; my electric also - has F-holes (lol) so it's been years since i've lost my pick into the sound hole, but it was always the most frustrating, ungainly thing to do whilst playing... followed by the ol' shake it back out move :)

F-holes ftw though! i'm yet to lose my pick in either of my archtops for that reason :)

Frustrated with the fiddly process of trying to thread your plectrum under and over the strings to hold it securely once playing is finished, only to have it ping out and disappear under the bed, or even worse, through the sound hole?

Then simply drill a small hole in the middle of your pick and hook it over the free end of a string protruding from the capstan.

Voila! Easy, safe storage and plenty of room for spares...

I hit upon this brainwave only t'other day, after nearly 40 years of 'hunt the pleccy' misery. Best thing I've ever done - ever...

Sounds like you've got this one sussed, but another possible option is a plectrum punch. (I had to scroll up to check I'd spelled 'Plectrum' right then - it looked weird on the page & sounds weird when I say it - never thought that before, must be me being weird)
I got one for a guitar-playing friend's birthday once for about a tenner. No idea if the plectrums it punches are actually decent - I must ask him

I got as far as 'London's Burning' (on individual strings, not chords) in guitar lessons before I gave up

my sister sent me one of those plectrum punches once. pretty cool, i made a bunch of them out of old bank cards and shit :)

haha that's genius!

the acoustic i play these days - actually both my guitars; my electric also - has F-holes (lol) so it's been years since i've lost my pick into the sound hole, but it was always the most frustrating, ungainly thing to do whilst playing... followed by the ol' shake it back out move :)

F-holes ftw though! i'm yet to lose my pick in either of my archtops for that reason :)

Heh, it's really embarrassing when you've got people waiting to hear your latest masterpiece and you're there shaking your guitar about like a nutter for five minutes trying to retrieve the pick...

I had a lovely semi-acoustic bass guitar with an arch top and 'f' holes which I regrettably sold for smack. It was wank as an acoustic, but it looked fuckin gorgeous and had a really warm tone when plugged in.

Sounds like you've got this one sussed, but another possible option is a plectrum punch. (I had to scroll up to check I'd spelled 'Plectrum' right then - it looked weird on the page & sounds weird when I say it - never thought that before, must be me being weird)
I got one for a guitar-playing friend's birthday once for about a tenner. No idea if the plectrums it punches are actually decent - I must ask him

I got as far as 'London's Burning' (on individual strings, not chords) in guitar lessons before I gave up

Interesting, I didn't actually know they existed. However, the last thing I need is even more plectrums to lose. Now I can store several on my guitar at once, and if the end of the string is long enough, it can even be bent back to hold them all in place, even when doing a Pete Townsend impression (which I regularly do in the comfort of my own bedroom...)

Heh, it's really embarrassing when you've got people waiting to hear your latest masterpiece and you're there shaking your guitar about like a nutter for five minutes trying to retrieve the pick...
totally!
brilliant for it's comedic value though. especially when the player is a little worse-for-wear from drugs and/or drink ;)
I had a lovely semi-acoustic bass guitar with an arch top and 'f' holes which I regrettably sold for smack. It was wank as an acoustic, but it looked fuckin gorgeous and had a really warm tone when plugged in.
aw man, that sucks.
i love those semi acoustic basses.
i'd never played many semi-acoustics beforei got my gretsch, but i'm a total convert now.
similarly, the gretsch doesn't sound much when it's not plugged in, but it's the best sounding guitar i've ever played, when it's running through a nice valve amp - or even the shitty 1960s transistor amp i found in the shed of the last sharehouse i lived in, covered in spiders and dust.

my band played a show the other night - which went really well - and i realised that in the last 3 years, we've rehearsed 4 times.
"practice makes perfect" my arse.

nice :)
got a great sound!

that guitar looks a lot like mine, actually - except mine is two-tone green, and doesn't have the Bigsby. same shaped body though, with the single cut-away.
fucking beautiful instruments - so elegant, but still wild. i used to go for fenders, but i sold them after i got my gretsch.

Yeh, they are lovely guitars, no doubt about it. I've given up on electrics now though - I no longer play with other people and I can't really let rip on an electric at home. The only guitar I possess now is a Moridaira - Gibson copy acoustic 6 string - which has a surprisingly nice sound. I'm more interested in folk style playing these days than trying to be an axe hero - songs you can play around a camp fire with a load of pissed up mates...

Actual quotes from my Flute teacher in my school reports:

'BPH has a good ear and good rhythmical sense when she remembers to count. At present, her sound is a little faint (she needs to blow harder) and she has difficulty in remembering fingerings...'
Fnaaar

'BPH continued to experience difficulty with rhythm and fingering this term....'
Bit obsessed with fingering, this one

'BPH's progress has been slow this term. She continues to forget fingerings......Because BPH has a musical ear she must surely become very frustrated with the flute and would perhaps be better suited to a different instrument'
Still rubbish at fingering and teacher's obviously had enough of me! I gave up shortly after

I can still play 'Greensleeves' on the recorder though and love to sing.
Unfortunately I was never good or interested in learning & practicing any of the instruments I had lessons of as a child, before pissing everyone off & giving up
I took like a duck to water with fingering and rapidly progressed from there.

Never could play an instrument though