• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Day 4 home detox from heroin

DoctorMolecule

Bluelighter
Finally the withdrawals have subsided at least the physical part, thank you Phenibut and pot! But now I'm onto the mental side of things. Thoughts? I'm planning on making meetings. I really need the support

Huge congrats on getting over that first hump. Bask in that accomplishment... but you're also right to be on guard about the next phases of your recovery.

The mental side is rough, and my main advice is to go into it with a plan. Actually, go into it with several plans in case one of them comes up short. In terms of what those plans might entail, here are some fairly typical suggestions (but they're typical because they do seem to help people).

First, do you have a group of people--a support network--you can rely on? I know from other threads that your wife is aware of your addiction; maybe she can be part of this network, though not necessarily...really depends on the dynamic between you when it comes to dope. Having some people whom you can talk to *often* and about what's really going on makes a huge difference. A spouse can fit well here, though as I suggested earlier, sometimes their closeness to the situation can be counterproductive. Some good friends or trusted family members who don't use are great. If none of these is an option, that's one thing that can be helpful about fellowships like NA, though 12-step groups bring a lot of baggage that some people don't want to sift through. Personally, despite disagreeing with a lot of NA dogma, I have found that getting (and using) phone numbers from people at meetings has done a lot to keep me from sliding into the isolation where my urges to use get overwhelming. Of course all of us on Sober Living are here for you too.

Another, much more concrete strategy is to look for some professional help. Many clinics, at least in the US, have intensive outpatient rehab programs (IOPs). Now, the quality of these varies widely, and frankly a lot of them aren't that great. But even a not-so-great IOP can have some nice effects on early recovery. Spending a few hours each evening for a few weeks thinking about your addiction can be helpful in terms of developing skills like spotting relapses before they happen, de-escalating cravings, etc.

Then there are some basic self-care things you can do. It sounds obvious, but it really is amazing how much stronger we are when we're well fed, well rested and getting at least a little bit of exercise (oh those endogenous endorphins!).

So each of the three points I've raised are very concrete. There are also strategies that are less tangible, but that are every bit as important as these, if not more so. Basically, most of these fall under the umbrella of regaining meaning in our lives. One of the hardest things about maintaining recovery after acute withdrawal is dealing with the depression, boredom and resentment that tend to fill the vacuum that's left when we remove the drugs. An ideal outcome is to pursue something--a hobby, a long-forgotten goal, a newly discovered passion--that helps us to remember that the world matters.

This last point is not easy. And I'll be the first to admit that I haven't done a great job at it myself. But I do think it's a vital part of *staying* well.

Oh, one last one. This is so clichéd and obvious, but fuck it's true...take things one day at a time. If that's too ambitious, go to an hour at a time, etc. In recovery, perfection is the enemy of the good. You don't need to worry about whether you'll stay clean forever. You don't even need to worry about staying clean tomorrow. The only thing you need to do is to try your best right now. Right now is all that matters. And if you slip up, put that right behind you and come back to where you left off.

I'm rooting for you, man.
<3
Sim

Yes I'm an outcast in the 12 step community, but the steps do work if you are honest, open minded, and willing. I use cannabis as maintenance along with 12 step groups, I've got my wife, sister in law, mother/and in law as well. I believe in the harm reductionist approach to the 12 steps. Stop the bleeding physically, emotionally, spirituality for the drug that's most harm which is booze, heroin, meth. I need to meetings cause I can relate, but I'm what you may or not label me a fundamentalist messianic Hebrew (Christian in short but it's a long store for another post and sleepless night. May Yahway bless you and keep you and your loved ones safe, may the blood of Yeshua atone for your sins, shortcomings, anything that interferes with a relationship with The Creator. And may the Holy Spirit (breath of Yah) come out of your hearts and sew love today on our 7th day of rest

Yes I'm an outcast in the 12 step community, but the steps do work if you are honest, open minded, and willing. I use cannabis as maintenance along with 12 step groups, I've got my wife, sister in law, mother/and in law as well. I believe in the harm reductionist approach to the 12 steps. Stop the bleeding physically, emotionally, spirituality for the drug that's most harm which is booze, heroin, meth. I need to meetings cause I can relate, but I'm what you may or not label me a fundamentalist messianic Hebrew (Christian in short but it's a long store for another post and sleepless night. May Yahway bless you and keep you and your loved ones safe, may the blood of Yeshua atone for your sins, shortcomings, anything that interferes with a relationship with The Creator. And may the Holy Spirit (breath of Yah) come out of your hearts and sew love today on our 7th day of rest

Like you, meetings are a big part of my recovery, and so is cannabis. I've had little luck with formal stepwork, but I don't doubt that steps help some people.

Not to derail your thread, but I find myself increasingly curious how rare it is for supposedly abstinent NA members to continue using cannabis. Surely you and I can't be the only people on Earth who attend meetings regularly but adhere to (what they dismally call it in the NA rooms) the "marijuana maintenance program."

It has been my experience that this kind of double standard is not at all uncommon within the rooms of AA and NA (just as with how they decry ORT medication as somehow precluding individuals from any ability to fully participate in moving forward in recovery). It is really unfortunate and highly confusing aspect to the culture.

Yeah I'm on day 7 and and super depressed, yesterday and Friday were awesome! Today I'd rather kill my self than sick a needle in my arm

Yeah I'm on day 7 and and super depressed, yesterday and Friday were awesome! Today I'd rather kill my self than sick a needle in my arm

This is the fight, man. I'm really sorry to hear you're suffering. But you'll learn to walk through this kind of pain. It takes practice, and that's exactly what you're doing.

<3
Sim

This is the fight, man. I'm really sorry to hear you're suffering. But you'll learn to walk through this kind of pain. It takes practice, and that's exactly what you're doing.

<3
Sim
Yep, been down this road b4, I feel like suicidal ideation is better than using, maybe not from a HR perspective. If I stick a needle in my arm again I'm just inviting death, figure may as well take out the middle man and spare myself what could be years of active use

Have you considered something like kratom, buprenorphine or methadone to help give you the stability to address your depression or whatever mental health issue(s) is causing you to feel suicidal? If you are feeling really dark, please check out the suicide support thread in TDS.