• MDMA &
    Empathogenic
    Drugs

Welcome Guest!
  • MDMA Moderators:

Question about 5-HTP

Inds

Bluelighter
When do I take it? A few hours after the roll? The day after? If I'm experiencing an afterglow instead of a comedown, will the 5-HTP enhance the afterglow or kill it?

When do I take it? A few hours after the roll? The day after? If I'm experiencing an afterglow instead of a comedown, will the 5-HTP enhance the afterglow or kill it?

I'd suggest trying 5-HTP days before rolling. About 100mg to begin with, take it in the late afternoon-evening as it might cause drowsiness. Get to feel it's effects just to know what to expect.
5-HTP will convert to Serotonin in your body and the reason why people take it in connection to MDMA, is that MDMA will drain your serotonin, especially if repeated often, so 5-HTP will in some way replenish it.

If you take MDMA very occasionally, I'd suggest taking about 100-200mg of 5-HTP on the next day after you roll, especially if you are having a nice afterglow instead of a come down. IME 5-HTP can only be used beneficially with serotonergic drugs if taken before or after the roll.

You can supplement with 5-HTP daily for days in a row before the roll and it will increase the effects, just don't take 5-HTP together with your molly! %)

I have extended release 200mg 5-HTP pills. I took one before bed a few days ago and I had a nightmare that my mom (who I haven't seen or talked to in 10 years) found my drugs and was gonna get me in trouble with the law. The following day, I did not notice any effects.

I have used MDMA twice. Last week and 5 weeks before that. I don't intend to do it more often than every 6-8 weeks because I want the experience and afterglows to be as beautiful as they were last week. Never have I felt happier in my life and I was very sad that this would only be temporary and occasional. But I'd rather it be that than not have any effect at all if I do it too often.

So you're saying I should take a pill of 5-HTP for lets say 3 days before my next roll? And I didn't understand your next sentence. If my roll was on Monday, when do I take 5-HTP? Tuesday or Wednesday? I understand that I should not take 5-HTP on the same day I make love with molly. :)

Also, from what I understand, MDMA causes your brain to release all its serotonin in one big flood and its during this flood you feel great but after there's no more serotonin to spray all over the place is when the depressed feelings kick in. But then why do afterglows happen? It seems contradictory.
And it takes 6-8 weeks for the serotonin receptors to fill back the juice and start flowing it at normal rates again?

Thanks for answering my questions. It's really great to be in a place where I'm not being judged.

So you're saying I should take a pill of 5-HTP for lets say 3 days before my next roll? And I didn't understand your next sentence. If my roll was on Monday, when do I take 5-HTP? Tuesday or Wednesday?

^^^ Yeah, take 5-HTP daily for 3-5 days before the roll and do not take it on the day when you take MDMA. Also it's beneficial to supplement it for a day or two after you roll, so your brain serotonin will get recovered faster. So, if you have rolled on Monday, taking 5-HTP on Tuesday and Wednesday might help you alleviate symptoms of depression caused by serotonin depletion.

Also, from what I understand, MDMA causes your brain to release all its serotonin in one big flood and its during this flood you feel great but after there's no more serotonin to spray all over the place is when the depressed feelings kick in. But then why do afterglows happen? It seems contradictory.
And it takes 6-8 weeks for the serotonin receptors to fill back the juice and start flowing it at normal rates again?

^^^ Lots of literature on how MDMA works, which is great! :)
Besides serotonin, it affects other neurotransmission, like acetylcholine, norepinephrine and dopamine systems, activates psychedelic serotonin and dopamine receptors, agonizes imidazoline and sigma receptors, and does a lot more in our bodies... So if you look into the process more, it's not that contradictory to have a nice afterglow instead of a nasty comedown. Effects also varying between people because of the personal metabolism differences and how cut is your molly with other crap.

Thanks for answering my questions. It's really great to be in a place where I'm not being judged.

^^^ Right on welcome, friend! That's what Bluelight is for, its awesome! =D

Got it, I'll take 5-HTP a few days prior and after. Now, I promise I'm not trying to justify becoming an addict but does this mean I can do ecstasy more often than 6-8 weeks if the 5-HTP will help? Or will that still hasten the loss of magic?

Besides serotonin, it affects other neurotransmission, like acetylcholine, norepinephrine and dopamine systems, activates psychedelic serotonin and dopamine receptors, agonizes imidazoline and sigma receptors, and does a lot more in our bodies... So if you look into the process more, it's not that contradictory to have a nice afterglow instead of a nasty comedown.

So the depression caused by serotonin depletion is mitigated by the other effects of MDMA that you don't notice it? I didn't know you could have low serotonin levels and still be happy.

^^^ Right on welcome, friend! That's what Bluelight is for, its awesome! =D

Thanks. Being around decent people like you guys helps restore my faith in humanity which I normally have nothing but hate for. I actually joined 10 different drug forums at the same time I joined Bluelight and 7/10 of them were less than ideal. But Bluelight so far is twice as better than the second-best on my list. How did the admins do it? Strict moderation, I suppose.

Now, I promise I'm not trying to justify becoming an addict but does this mean I can do ecstasy more often than 6-8 weeks if the 5-HTP will help? Or will that still hasten the loss of magic?
I wouldn't count on it, brain chemistry and especially brain chemistry on mind altering drugs is far more complicated than just neurotransmitters workings.

Enjoy MDMA occasionally, feel the therapeutic effects of it, but don't overdo it or you'll loose the magic for a long time - happens with lots of people who discover MDMA's potential and can't control themselves.

And yeah, mods are great here at BL! :)

Got it, I'll take 5-HTP a few days prior and after. Now, I promise I'm not trying to justify becoming an addict but does this mean I can do ecstasy more often than 6-8 weeks if the 5-HTP will help?

If you are in your 20's or younger, you'll probably be fine if you roll prior to 8 weeks. My wife was 25 when she started to roll and she was pretty good to go again 2-3 weeks after a roll

I am 25. But that doesn't mean I can't make my rolls better with supplements, no?

I am 25. But that doesn't mean I can't make my rolls better with supplements, no?
Also, stupid question but does it matter when I take 5-HTP the day after or must it be at least 24 hours after the roll?

That FAQ states
When should I take 5-HTP?
It is really down to personal preference, although 5-HTP is metabolised into 5-HT quite quickly (less than an hour) so anything over a day before really won’t be helping much. Others will only take it after taking MDMA. Because of the nature of the subject there are no official guidelines but as a general rule 200mg after a night out and 100-150mg for a few days afterwards is the norm. You should adjust this as you see fit dependent on body size, etc.
which does not answer my question. How long after taking MDMA? After getting some sleep or 24 hours later?