Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Codeine - Experienced - Dude, codeine?!

Melancholy Hill

Bluelighter
Just thought I would share this story with you guys because I REALLY wasn't expecting codeine to knock me on my ass as it seems to be one of the lesser potent/less powerful opiates and I have taken them before recreationally with little to no effect. This time though took me by COMPLETE surprise as it completely obliterated me.

Anyway, I took 20 Tylenol 3s this time around (I have a pretty high tolerance to opiates) as I have taken 10-15 in the past and it didn't really do much for me recreationally. DON'T WORRY, I preform a CWE every time to save my liver from any severe damage. But let me get on with the story:

As an opiate user, I have a habit of going outside and immediately smoking anywhere from 3-5 cigarettes as soon as the substance starts to kick it because it definitely seems to potentiate my buzz. I also like to stand pretty much the entire time for some reason as well. I guess I do this to try to avoid falling asleep/passing out.

Well let me assure you that definitely didn't work this time as I had one of the best opiate nods going for me and every 30 seconds or so I stumbled/almost passed out anyway and had to regain control of my stance. I remember my dad constantly coming out to the porch to check on me and telling me to sit down or come inside and lay down on the couch because he caught me stumbling quite a few times (he had known I had taken pain medication because I was in a serious car accident and had them prescribed. He just didn't know how many I took).

Needless to say, I ignored his requests and 5 minutes later he came back out and picked me up off of the porch floor. Apparently I had fallen head first (see pic below).

That is when I finally listened to my father and went inside and layed down on the couch where I passed out for hours. No blanket, no pillow, even had my shoes and all of my clothes on. I was laying on my stomach with one leg hanging off the couch and as uncomfortable as that sounds, it was the best sleep I had gotten in AWHILE.
I just thought I would share this story since I found it kind of humorous but since this is a hard reduction forum, it also has positive benefits to it. Basically, moral of the story is:

Don't underestimate the power of certain drugs. Obviously, from my experience drugs can be VERY unpredictable. For example; x amount of something might barely give you a buzz, but taking taking the same amount or even a little more another day can get you completely ANNIHILATED. Falling down head first on your porch is potentially dangerous, not fun and is basically the complete opposite of recreation so PLEASE be careful with your doses. I was completely irresponsible not only with the high dose I took, but my actions afterwards as well. If you are going to take a high dose of any kind of opiate, please make sure you have nothing planned for the day (I didn't) and just chill out on your couch or bed, etc. and enjoy your buzz.

I am hoping my experience will help some people on here because I don't want anyone making the same mistakes I did. If not, at least I tried. Everyone have a good night and be safe.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_tylenol 3
substancecode_codeine
substancecode_opiates
substancecode_pharms
explevel_experienced
exptype_positive
exptype_difficult
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Bump.

I just wanted people to be more aware of the dangers of codeine (mainly opiate naïve users) because I've noticed a lot of people underestimate this drug since it is said to be one of the more weaker opiates. I definitely made a mistake and I don't want others to do the same...

Does anyone have any input on this situation? I would like to hear from some people and possibly discuss this a little more.

Definitely a cool story to hear.

I've had some situations like yours with codeine. Some times it doesn't effect me much and sometimes it' just zeros me. Nothing as bad as you though, but for me it's always at around the same dose and when I'm taking opiates it's usually long periods of time with long breaks in between.

I really wish you'd take more caution while under the influence of any drug. Your brain doesn't work or think the same when on certain chemicals and you may feel okay but everything around you can be going wrong. If someone you know can see something is up and asks you to sit down or something I suggest you listen. You could have been on a upstairs porch and fell over the edge or anything and had a serious accident.

Stay safe man :)

Good thing you didn't hurt yourself worse! I'm going to move this to Trip Reports.

Definitely a cool story to hear.

I've had some situations like yours with codeine. Some times it doesn't effect me much and sometimes it' just zeros me. Nothing as bad as you though, but for me it's always at around the same dose and when I'm taking opiates it's usually long periods of time with long breaks in between.

I really wish you'd take more caution while under the influence of any drug. Your brain doesn't work or think the same when on certain chemicals and you may feel okay but everything around you can be going wrong. If someone you know can see something is up and asks you to sit down or something I suggest you listen. You could have been on a upstairs porch and fell over the edge or anything and had a serious accident.

Stay safe man :)

Thanks for the words of wisdom, man.

I usually do take lots of caution while under the influence of any drug. I just wasn't expecting the codeine to hit me like a ton of bricks. It just kind of snuck up on me and I definitely wasn't prepared nor expecting anything like that.

Buy you're 100% right -- if someone can see what is up -- I do need to listen to them/take their suggestions into consideration. I just thought I was completely fine and kept assuring them that I'd be alright. I guess that's part of your brain not working right/not thinking the same, as you stated.

But I am the kind of person who learns from my mistakes, so I can assure you that this will not happen again. I just wanted to share this story with everyone to make sure that no one makes the same mistakes that I did.

Again, thanks for offering me words of wisdom/suggestions and not judging me for what I did. It is greatly appreciated.

Good thing you didn't hurt yourself worse! I'm going to move this to Trip Reports.

Right on, man. It could have been a lot worse -- I got extremely lucky. And yeah, I thought this might be better off in trip reports but wasn't sure, so go ahead and move it, man

Last edited:
I love codeine myself. Of course it was my first opiate, and first "drug" experience (not counting a strange OBE with antihistamines when they gave me some at 6th grade camp cause of some allergy I had).... basically spent the next 25 years chasing that first warm and fuzzy experience (half a bottle phenegren w codeine in a 14 y/o makes an unforgettable impression).

When at the dentist, I always ask for T4 instead of percocet or vicodin) cause quite frankly I get off on it way better than oxy or hydro. Color me "lucky" I guess?

I love codeine myself. Of course it was my first opiate, and first "drug" experience (not counting a strange OBE with antihistamines when they gave me some at 6th grade camp cause of some allergy I had).... basically spent the next 25 years chasing that first warm and fuzzy experience (half a bottle phenegren w codeine in a 14 y/o makes an unforgettable impression).

When at the dentist, I always ask for T4 instead of percocet or vicodin) cause quite frankly I get off on it way better than oxy or hydro. Color me "lucky" I guess?

Yeah, that codeine definitely got me WAY more fucked than any percocets or lortabs/norcos I've taken ever did. I mean, it was probably the extremely high dose I took. I did a CWE with 20 Tylenol 3s -- which is believe is equivalent to 600mg of codeine if I'm not mistaken.

But yeah, it's kinda funny that you had a OBE at such a young age. I never had my first one until I was about 19/20 years old. Honestly, I probably would have been slightly terrified having one at such a young age haha. Because it is definitely an indescribable/unforgettable experience. At least it was for me, anyway.

And getting off on codeine at 14 years old? Holy shit. I don't mean to LOL because it is definitely not good for your body/brain at such a young age since you are still developing (especially your brain), but you seem to be fine now so good for you. Hah.

Last edited:

But yeah, it's kinda funny that you had a OBE at such a young age. I never had my first one until I was about 19/20 years old. Honestly, I probably would have been slightly terrified having one at such a young age haha. Because it is definitely an indescribable/unforgettable experience. At least it was for me, anyway.

The report Ill save for the book but basically at 6th grade camp....got swollen eyes and gooey stuff...the nurse told me it might make me drowsy but I insisted Id taken it before and Id be fine (i lied) and within an hour my head dissipated into ether, and I walked around at night and in front of the camp fire in my first altered state of consciousness...a soul but no body...literally floating.

And getting off on codeine at 14 years old? Holy shit. I don't mean to LOL because it is definitely not good for your body/brain at such a young age since you are still developing (especially your brain), but you seem to be fine now so good for you. Hah.

Heh...well at age 13 I started reading the PDR....dad is a dentist so we had one...and no internet so that is how I learned. Eventually started surfing the parents medicine cabinets and the rest is history. there the bottle was and I took it.

Been a proud junkie ever since. Now a days just some kratom for me but...yeah it was a curse/blessing from that day forward.

The report Ill save for the book but basically at 6th grade camp....got swollen eyes and gooey stuff...the nurse told me it might make me drowsy but I insisted Id taken it before and Id be fine (i lied) and within an hour my head dissipated into ether, and I walked around at night and in front of the camp fire in my first altered state of consciousness...a soul but no body...literally floating.

Yeah, it is definitely pretty rare to have an OBE, but if you do I would consider yourself pretty lucky as I find it to be quite an enjoyable/amazing experience. To have your soul separated from your body is just... incredible to me.

I just remember standing there and literally watching myself sleep on the couch. It was just completely crazy to me to be out of my body and watch myself lay there. Just... completely indescribable.

But back to the original discussion:

Now that I actually think about it, I think the codeine basically completely annihilated me not only because of my high dose, but I took a therapeutic dose of DXM, a couple TBSPs of baking soda, and some diphenhydramine about an hour before I consumed it if I remember correctly for the purpose of potentiating it although there was really no need to potentiate it since it was already such a high dose. I just really never had any luck with recreational codeine in the past so I wanted to MAKE SURE I got a decent buzz from it this time.

Anyway, I definitely learned to be careful for what I ask for haha. This was definitely an experience I will not forget and I will never try to potentiate codeine again when it is already at such a high dose.

I enjoy using drugs recreationally/for fun but I also want to be smart and safe about it. So I definitely learned from this experience.