• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Kava kava: Experiences?

truenamebrand

Bluelighter
Ok, so I've read some about kava kava, and there seems to be conflicting information. Today I picked up a tincture (50% kavalactones), and I'm trying to get some more information and people's experiences....

I've read everything from "it's totally uselss" to glowing endorsements, claiming it's as close to a benzo as you can get legally, sold in stores. So I have a few questions:

What sort of effect should I expect from taking this liquid? Is is merely a subtle relaxation, hardly noticeable and essentially a waste of money?

In the absence of a benzo, is kava an effective substitute for anxiety relief and insomnia?

Can kava actually get you "high" the way benzos do? And if so, what are the differences?

Seeing as I have liquid -- in a tincture -- how much should I take in order to get the desired effect?

Would the fact that I'm a regular benzo user diminish the results I will get from kava?

Lastly, is there anything specifically I should know about it, or any way to take it which would maximize it effects?

Any advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance, BL'ers.

I would stay away from tinctures and extracts. They're usually weaker than a properly prepared batch of kava. You should look for 100% noble kava root powder. There have actually been cases of tinctures and extracts being made from toxic parts of the plant or toxic cultivars. Only 100% noble kava root powder is safe to consume. You can look up how to do a traditional preparation of the root, but you can actually buy shaker bottles that make it 10x easier to make kava from the root powder. Kavalactones are poorly soluble in water, so it takes some real effort to make a potent beverage.

As for effects, I actually prefer kava to benzos, and they are definitely different. Kava won't tame severe, irrational anxiety the way benzos will, but a high quality kava gives me a much more pleasant relaxation with a nice buzz whereas benzos just kind of dull my mind.

That said, kava will never get you fucked up the way benzos will. There's a point at which you'll just experience nausea instead of stronger effects. It's more subtle than most GABAergics, and it won't mess with your cognition or coordination to a significant degree.

Edit: also wanted to add that there's a service that certifies vendors as selling noble kava root powder by testing their products in the lab. I believe their name is true kava labs.

I took it today for the first time. Took the dosage recommended on the bottle and made tea; did nothing.

A few hours later I repeated the dose (approximately) and for about 3-4 hours could barely keep my eyes open. I was also extremely dizzy and off balance, along with some pretty significant nausea.

Seems like I missed the mark on my sweet spot, and badly.

^ you didn't 'miss the mark on [y]our sweet spot'; as the post above you explained, tinctures and extracts are a notoriously poor way to experience kava. The root powder is the only way to go.

Honestly I wouldn't even consume more of that extract. Those are symptoms associated with tudei which is a potentially harmful and not particularly pleasant cultivar. Root powder all the way

I notice they lopk extremely similar to the type of chemicaks i take for amphetamine mild anxietythey seem related to chlorogenic acid or egcg trihydroxygroup . I would be more interested in if it can help prevent amphetamine oxidative stress or cause mild reduction in nmda activation induced damage then as a sedative i drank the tea behavior nothingg rekative to 3 mg of xanax maybe like 0.25 after afew cups if i recall or placebo idk

Real raw kava root works, it won't get you high but its a good WD aid, or can help with sleep, get some from vanatu. Make it strong, mix it with chocolate milk made with whole milk, and let it soak for at least half an hour first, it doesn't last too long though. But all the extracts and tinctures are completely useless.

^ as far as "won't get you high," that's debatable; I've gleaned some profoundly good euphoria from consuming kava when it's prepared correctly and the source is sound. The intoxication isn't to the level of a decent opiate or opioid, but its analgesic properties has been touted upon in other cultures ad nauseam -- and what is a "high" if not relief from physical or emotional stresses?

Kava gets me high, esp combined with weed.

Last edited: