• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Rodrigo Duterte’s ‘kill drug addicts’ job ‘plan’ is bizarre

poledriver

Bluelighter
Rodrigo Duterte’s ‘kill drug addicts’ job ‘plan’ is bizarre

HE shocked many across the world when he promised to kill 100,000 drug dealers within months of sweeping to power.

Now Rodrigo Duterte is at it again, this time with what appears to be a bizarre job offer to a group of Filipinos who have returned home after working overseas.

On Tuesday the firebrand Philippines President, who welcomed a returning group of overseas workers from Saudi Arabia, said: “If you lose your job, I’ll give you one. Kill all the drug addicts.”

The President was also reportedly overheard saying to the workers at Ninoy Aquino International Airport: “Help me kill addicts” and “Let’s kill addicts everyday,” the Philippine Star reported.

He then handed out envelopes containing 10,000 Pesos ($270) to 150 workers.

The President also thanked them for their contribution to the economy and said he hoped they can now help him in his anti-drug campaign.

Deputy Director Asia Division for Human Rights Watch Phelim Kine accused the President of inciting vigilante violence and called Duterte’s comments a “perverse idea for a job creation program”.

“Duterte’s latest exhortation for vigilante killings comes as no surprise,” he said.

“He has made repeated calls on the public to kill drug addicts as part of his anti-drug campaign.”

Mr Kine said such talk, including a comment made last June where Duterte encouraged the public to kill, could constitute criminal incitement to commit murder.

“If you know of any addicts, go ahead and kill them yourself as getting their parents to do it would be too painful,” Duterte said on June 30.

Duterte has drawn sharp criticism from human rights groups who have long voiced concerns about the President’s war on drugs and the unlawful killing of drug suspects and users by police.

More than 7000 people have died in the war on drugs.

According to Human Rights Watch, police claim to have killed 2690 people, but the group said this number doesn’t include drug war victims Duterte calls “collateral damage”.

Police claim about a third of the victims were shot by officers in self-defence during legitimate anti-drug operations.

But Human rights groups believe many of the remaining two-thirds were killed by paid assassins operating with police backing or by police disguised as vigilantes — a charge the police deny.

TALKING TOUGH, STAYING DEFIANT

The President has dismissed human rights concerns and last August reaffirmed his commitment to rid his country from drugs.

CONT -

http://www.news.com.au/world/asia/r...e/news-story/b1ac0ff4e67e56f700c7051ee78f7346

Terrorists killed in Philippines gun battle as security steps up amid ASEAN trade talks

At least four militants from Philippines terrorist group Abu Sayyaf have been killed in a gun battle with security forces close to where Association of South-East Asian Nation trade meetings were being held.

Key points:

Philippines president Rodrigo Duterte warns of heightened security risk from militant groups
Abu Sayyaf traditionally operates in the southern Philippines and has moved into the central provinces for the first time
Tens of thousands of security forces deployed to Manila for ASEAN summit
Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte warned ahead of the talks, which included Australian delegates, that Abu Sayyaf were moving into the central province of Bohol from their base in the south with plans to "spoil" the ASEAN trade meeting, which precedes the main ASEAN summit in Manila on April 28.

"They went there maybe to kidnap," Mr Duterte told reporters last week.

"And I told the Navy, if you see the boat, blast them off."

Mr Duterte said he would arm civilians, and offered a reward for every "terrorist" or drug suspect killed.

The trade meetings included ASEAN members and dialogue partners Australia, China, India, Japan, New Zealand, the Republic of Korea, the United States and Russia.

As the meetings ended this weekend, delegates toured Bohol province, which is one of the Philippines' prime tourist spots, despite travel warnings by several countries including Australia because of the prospect of violence.

At the same time, military officials reported killing alleged Abu Sayyaf ringleader Joselito Melloria and several other gunmen.

More than 1,000 people fled their village due to the violence.

Military chief of staff General Eduardo Ano said a group of eight militants exchanged fire with army troops and police near Clarin town in Bohol province, and four escaped.

"They dared to go to an unfamiliar area and they couldn't find any support from villagers in Bohol," General Ano said, adding that troops were continuing to hunt down the remaining militants.

CONT -

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-04-...Organic&WT.tsrc=Facebook_Organic&sf72563136=1

It was reported that Mr Duterte was using his societal cleansing to also kill his political adversaries and competitors.

I wonder how long this wack job will remain in power and if he will ever stand trial for his heinous crimes against humanity.

Last edited:
something is very wrong with existence if these are the ppl in charge. I don't understand it one bit.

cus1477573698.jpg

Yeah he's a phychopath. I bet money when all is said and done drugs will still be available

I can be 50 times as brutal: Duterte

Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte has warned that he could be "50 times" more brutal than Muslim militants who stage beheadings and said he could even "eat" the extremists if they're captured alive by troops.
Duterte has repeatedly threatened drug suspects with death, but he raised his shock rhetoric to a new level as president when he said in a speech during the opening of a national sports tournament what he could do to terrorists who have staged beheadings and other gruesome attacks.

Duterte ordered troops to kill fleeing Muslim militants behind a foiled attack in the central resort province of Bohol and not bring them to him alive, calling the extremists "animals."
"If you want me to be an animal, I'm also used to that. We're just the same," Duterte said. "I can dish out, go down what you can 50 times over."

Duterte said that if a terrorist was presented to him when he's in a foul mood, "give me salt and vinegar and I'll eat his liver."
The crowd broke into laughter, but Duterte cut in, "It's true, if you make me angry."

Duterte, a longtime city mayor who built an image as a deadly crime-buster, won the presidency in May last year on a promise to battle illegal drugs, corruption and terrorism. Thousands have died under his anti-drug crackdown, which has alarmed Western governments and human rights groups.

He has warned he may place the southern Philippines, scene of a decades-long Muslim separatist rebellion, under martial rule if terrorism threats spin out of control.
He recently offered a reward for information leading to the capture of Abu Sayyaf and other militants behind a foiled attack in the central province of Bohol.

Eight militants, three soldiers, a policeman and two villagers have died in clashes in Bohol, which lies far from the southern jungle bases of the militants.

http://www.news.com.au/world/breaki...e/news-story/9f4805f56cb1659082be646f4fd6294a

Charge Rodrigo Duterte with mass murder, lawyer tells The Hague

Bangkok: A blackened body lies unidentified on a slab in a Manila funeral home, one of thousands of suspected extra-judicial killings, or EJKs, as they have become known in Philippine President Rodrigo Duterte's war on drugs.

The heavily tattooed man in his 20s was found on a Sunday with a bag over his head, hands tied by wire, shot seven times, stabbed 10 times - probably with an ice pick. His eyes gouged out.

1493064378761.jpg

As the death toll in the crackdown tops almost 8000, a Filipino lawyer has asked the International Criminal Court in The Hague to charge Mr Duterte and 11 other Philippine officials with mass murder and crimes against humanity.

The complaint cites investigations by human rights groups and senior Philippine Catholic bishops denouncing the crackdown as a "reign of terror".

1493064378761.jpg

Lawyer Jude Josue Sabio, said in a 77-page complaint that Mr Duterte was the "mastermind" of a campaign that has killed more than 8000 people, mostly poor young men, since 1988, when Mr Duterte was first elected mayor of Davao City in the southern Philippines.

The complaint cites investigations by human rights groups and senior Philippine Catholic bishops denouncing the crackdown as a "reign of terror".

Every night for months photographers on Manila police's graveyard shift have been documenting what has become the biggest slaughter of civilians in south-east Asia since the Khmer Rouge's genocide in Cambodia in the 1970s.

The calamity is for all to see in urban slums, home to many of the country's most impoverished and marginalised people.

CONT -

http://www.smh.com.au/world/charge-...r-lawyer-tells-the-hague-20170424-gvrlnt.html

To be honest, his attitude to drug addiction is absurd in the extreme. He honestly believes that killing off drug addicts/small time dealers at random is going to instil fear into society.

There are much bigger problems in the Philippines. Genital mutilation and child sexual exploitation are most certainly a problem. Unlike people who use drugs, those who harm children are violating basic human rights. I'd say death for those people is acceptable to me. But killing drug addicts is a pathetic appeal to moral superiority. Drug addiction is not a political problem, it's a health problem. Child abuse/mutilation IS a political problem and one that really does require some judicious use of violence to solve. Perhaps if Duterte went after people who mutilated infant's/children's genitals or who were caught raping/molesting/sexually exploiting children, and summarily executed them, it would be a damn sight better than this anti-drug nonsense that he is so eagerly supporting.

Child abuse, both sexual (rape, genital mutilation, sexual slavery/exploitation) and physical abuse, is a much, much bigger problem than even the most serious drug abuse. Perhaps Duterte could borrow some ideas from this, and instead of going after something that is only a perceived problem, he could go after something that REALLY is a problem.