• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Prescribed Adderall XR and Smoking Marijuana?

LaraHajmola

Greenlighter
So I've done extensive googling to know similar questions have been asked before, but I haven't found enough info on the combination with Adderall XR specifically (NOT regular Adderall), other than a couple forums where people have mentioned severe anxiety/panic, muscle contractions, and even temporary paralysis. I'm hoping this isn't common, since there don't seem to be problems with smoking weed with regular Adderall. I want to hear the opinion of someone who knows how both drugs affect brain and body chemistry, both long and short term.
I just started yesterday on 10mg of Adderall XR, which I need to take daily, never been prescribed it/ADHD meds before (though I've taken it back in college for all nighters). I haven't yet smoked since starting, though I last smoked the night before I started on the meds.
I generally smoke 1-2 times a day, and usually just a bowl or two at a time. I want to know both how the weed affects the Adderall's intended effects, and how the Adderall will affect my high. I take it for my ADD/ Inattentive type ADHD, though I should also mention I've been diagnosed with Persistent Depressive Disorder/ Dysthymia (wouldn't want to do anything that'll fuck with my mood or energy level during the day). I'm wondering:

1. What's likely to happen if I smoke a bowl immediately or soon (say a couple hours) after taking the Adderall. And will the meds still work after the weed high wears off?
  2. What if I take the Adderall XR in the AM, be a responsible person through the day, and then smoke at night, around when the meds should wear off anyway. Will my high still be affected? And will the weed affect the Adderall's effects the next day(s), since weed stays in the body for some time?
  3. What if/Should I stay off the weed for the first couple weeks or so of adjusting to the meds? Or would that not really matter?
  4. Does it make a difference if it's indica or sativa? My friend just gave me a quarter of sativa heavy hybrid (Tangerine Dream) and I also have some leftover sativa I'd like to finish.
I REALLY would like to keep smoking, though I'd cut down on the amount and frequency if needed. Again, I'd like to hear from people who have knowledge about both drugs and its effects, plus those who've experienced/ know people who've experienced the above. Thanks!

weed will just make the adderall feel stronger for a bit.

when i first started experimenting with stimulants, i had a few panic attacks from smoking weed on them. vyvanse in particular.

i just tried adderall XR the other day. i didn't really smoke until i had taken sedatives but it does last a long time.

i would take it slow and work your way up.

I never liked weed and stimulants together. Now, weed when you're crashin' off a stimulant high is a whole 'nother ballgame. Take PotatoMan's post to heart, as he knows more about random stims than I do. As for your question, though:

1. You're likely to have an energetic high, regardless of the strain you smoke. You'll feel more alert than usual, likely motivated to do something/anything, and it'll generally just be a weed high combined with an Adderall buzz without much potentiation going on. As for the negatives, there's a chance that the stimulant and marijuana could fuck with your head and induce some anxious thought processes, especially if you're already prone to anxiety. Basically, like tater said, the combined highs will be a little stronger, maybe last for a little longer, but they'll essentially be the same as if you were to take the drugs individually-- just amped up a level or two, if that makes sense.

2. If you take Adderall daily instead of as needed, yeah, it'll probably still effect your high but to a nearly unrecognizable degree. Just think about a weed high, think about how you feel when you take Adderall, and literally combine the two. There's no crazy interaction that's going to happen with these two substances alone.

3. This boils down to personal preference. With me, I'd probably try to get used to the meds first before re-incorporating weed into my daily routine, but realistically I'd probably just keep on smoking. While weed does "stay in the system" for relatively long periods of time, it's not continuously psychoactive the entire time it's in your body; so a person that smoked 15 days ago could still have it in his system and piss dirty but he absolutely would not have been feeling the effects of that high for the entire 15 days. It's just metabolites that are detectable, not the drug itself.

4. Again, personal preference. For me, I'd prefer an indica to try and counter a bit of the undesirable effects of stimulants, but I could totally see someone popping an Adderall, smoking some sativa-dominant and being super-productive for the next 8 hours. I just feel like a sativa would increase the likelihood of anxiety/panic when mixed with a stim.