• N&PD Moderators: Skorpio | thegreenhand

Appetite suppression on NRI's/Reboxetine??

JohnBoy2000

Bluelighter
Appetite suppression on NRI's/Atomoxetine/Reboxetine??

I recently replaced remeron with mianserin; mianserin is dosed significantly higher, but I believe its bioavailability it correspondingly lower than remeron.
In any case, huge improvement over remeron - specific to myself of course as, serotonin exacerbates my symptoms, where noradrenaline agents improve it.

The next modification I wanted to make was/is, the replacement of desipramine with Reboxetine - the former being old, the latter being a newer highly selective NRI.
Given that mianserin did not incite fatigue as high doses of desipramine did - that indicates to me that it is almost certainly a secondary characteristic of desipramine causing issue, and not paradoxical noradrenergic receptor saturation.
For that reason, I believe its replacement with a more selective NRI with less secondary characteristics, will mean I can push it to a higher dose.

BUT - a major concern is - appetite suppressoin.

Appetite loss is a primary symptom of my condition, and the increase with remeron and mianserin, I cannot describe how much of a blessing that was.

I previously took Wellbutrin at 300 mg - and did not notice a reduction in appetite with that - though I can't have a suppression when I'm literally eating nothing.
But, it did improve my appetite a little actually - given the fact it incited a kind of, spectrum of symptom remission.
Not a huge appetite increase but, not a bad one either.
But definitely not a suppression.
I suppose an increase corresponding to the degree of overall symptom remission it incited.

Desipramine did not suppress my appetite, I don't think.

Fuck it - to the point.

Reboxetine - I've read a plethora of anecdotal reports on treato.com

Many many people report SIGNIFICANT appetite suppression on it, serious weight loss.
So much so, that it can be used to treat olanzapine induced weight gain.
This is the one reservation I have about making the switch to it.

So I'm information gathering as to what exactly I can expect.

I know it's not licensed in the US, which normally means there's a lack of online info about it.

Does anyone here have any kind of experience with reboxetine?
Any information on that topic, pertaining to it - at all?

It's analogue, Atomoxetine - I'm sure a few folk here have taken it.
I haven't read the same crushing appetite suppression is associated with that - but it is a very similar drug so, maybe the experiences are somewhat comparable??

Last edited:
No?

Put it this way - in contrast to say, methylphenidate, or amphetamine - how would the degree of appetite suppression on Strattera rank?

The product characteristic leaflets suggest that appetite suppression is more common with Strattera than Reboxetine...

Some people even report appetite suppression on Desipramine.

Ive experienced some appetite suppression on stimulants, but like everything on stims tolerance builds quickly. Bupropion, same thing. NRIs like desipramine and atomoxetine, not so much. Modafinil maybe a little.. Something about orexin? The only non-stimulant drugs I have had experience with are topiramate and zonisamide. Both of those seemed to work once you got to the right dose.

Ive experienced some appetite suppression on stimulants, but like everything on stims tolerance builds quickly. Bupropion, same thing. NRIs like desipramine and atomoxetine, not so much. Modafinil maybe a little.. Something about orexin? The only non-stimulant drugs I have had experience with are topiramate and zonisamide. Both of those seemed to work once you got to the right dose.

When
you say, "not so much", do you mean, you haven't experienced appetite suppression on them so much? (desipramine, atomoxetine)
Or that, you did experience suppression but, the tolerance to that, i.e. - you regaining your appetite, did not ultimately occur?