• Cannabis Discussion Welcome Guest
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules

Bush Buds Vs. Hydro

Ovidio

Ex-Bluelighter
I like bush buds far more than hydro these days. Can smoke a fat doobs between a group of friends and not feel baked, instead feeling rather sociable and chilled.

Why is bush buds so much better than hydro?

I dont know, maybe it's because hydro is often grown with chemical nutrients to some extent?. I prefer bush buds too (I vape dry herb) but I do love the look and smell of hydro and the stone can be nice as well, but sometimes too strong. I find that when I get a new bag of hydro it hits me really hard if it's fairly strong stuff but I can often form a tolerance to it fairly quickly, much more so than bush buds.

I guess when I buy tomatoes the ones that are hydroponic don't taste as good as the soil grown ones either but the hydro ones look really nice.

Maybe it is. I'm not sure either. All I know is that I have been having a much better time with bushies than I ever did smoking hydro. Not feeling all bombed out, and there is a giggle factor for sure which is not present on hydge. I was at a bar last night and blazed a doobs with a bunch of people from all over the world after several drinks, and we were all in good spirits with a lot of fun and games. If I smoke now with a group of friends, it's pretty much all I smoke. Them mango buds ;)

I'm from america and I have no idea what "bush buds" are. I assume it's just lower quality? Hydro can also be grown poorly, it's just using a different medium - you can feed organically with it as well. There's tons of shit you can add to a soil medium that's not organic. Not everyone is running super soils and feeding with organic compost teas. I know plenty of people who run everything in coco which is hydro and it's grown 100% organically. It's just their preference to have have smaller pots / more explosive growth / deal with the hassle of feeding everyday and testing their PPM run off instead of watering every couple days with soil / adding more nutes in flower. There's trade offs.

Can someone please elaborate on this slang? From what I understand you just prefer an inferior product but please correct me if I'm wrong

I'm from america and I have no idea what "bush buds" are. I assume it's just lower quality?

Bush is outdoor, Hydge is indoor. Aussie lingo (I assume that's where OP is from?). Nothing to do with quality really. Although there are lots of different strains here, it's more just a choice between outdoor, which often implies a more sativa dominant strain and indoor, which is usually more indica.

Sometimes the outdoor stuff is pretty excellent, especially if I've been having hydro for a while, it's good to mix it up a bit. I usually go for outdoor, not as heavily stoning. Indoor often has a bit more flavour though.

I see.

It's definitely hard to replicate the sun as far as indoor growing goes. As far as we've come with lighting technology with gavitas and what not there's no doubt the industry has been leaning towards the favor of light dep green houses for large scale production in the past few years. You get the best of both worlds with being able to use the sun and control your environment.

That said there's something special with growing under the sun vs a completely controlled indoor environment with artificial lighting. I can't personally say I prefer one over the other though - people are killing it on both sides. However, I can say there's people who definitely side with you. For instance, Blue River Extracts, which is a company who sells cannabis extracted terpenes here in the US and Canada extract all of their product from sun grown plants out in California. Their CEO Tony Verzura who's a pretty big industry guy here in the US stands strong behind making all of his products from sun grown resin. Before that, he ran a huge indoor facility in Colorado called RiverRock Wellness so it's safe to say he knows what he's talking about. He also was an indoor guy on the black market for a couple decades prior to that and has a great pool of knowledge and experience to draw from

i think "hydros" (to continue with the aussie slang) has a bad reputation amongst some folks because they're used to smoking commercially-grown black market weed that is often not properly flushed, harvested early, and grown simply for profit by organised crime outfits. this "bikie weed" is grown for rapid harvest, and maximum weight/quantity in minimal time - not quality.

having said that, i know some people that prefer lower quality "bush bud" or outdoor homegrown - but most of the time these people don't smoke much, have low tolerance and/or tendency towards anxiety when they smoke stronger cannabis.

in my experience though, good quality outdoor weed is as good as - and difficult to distinguish from - hydroponic stuff.
my understanding (which is admittedly limited; i'm not grower) is that genetics play a much larger role than the hydro/bushies designations give credit for.
i've had great bush weed, and very very shit stuff as well.
the same goes for hydroponic weed.

personally, i like my weed strong, but i have a very high tolerance.
if you don't have much of a tolerance, potent weed can be far too intense.

That's an interesting point about "bikie weed". There is a large amount of bud that comes from factory establishments ala rented houses with blanked out windows. Quite often, this bud is grown in a way in which you would likely get a shitty product. Careless growing and harvesting with lights on timers and lack of nutrients can ruin it. From my understanding, the CBD to THC ratio would often be detrimental to a good smoking experience if this is the case.

I think, in a way, it comes down to how these plants are cared for. Caring for one's plants like they are their babies often makes the best product, to the best of my knowledge. You can look after your plants like they are your children. It's like a little family of green cherubs which you can call your own. With the right strain, and when they are grown out in the sun in some places, for example down under, the THC/CBD ratio will be optimal if the plants are cared for and well looked after. That's if there is no stress to your babies - like excess wind and little animals coming and stealing your crop :)

That's an interesting point about "bikie weed". There is a large amount of bud that comes from factory establishments ala rented houses with blanked out windows. Quite often, this bud is grown in a way in which you would likely get a shitty product. Careless growing and harvesting with lights on timers and lack of nutrients can ruin it. From my understanding, the CBD to THC ratio would often be detrimental to a good smoking experience if this is the case.

that's the way the market was in canada too, not sure if it still is but i remember "hydro" being synonymous with crap haphazardly grown in suburban homes and then usually scuffed for kief before sale. rock hard but mitey/mouldy shite.

these days i also prefer greenhouse or outdoor nugs, the few growers i've met doing these ops have all been passionate and didn't get into it strictly hunting for profits so generally quality is better for the user, the stunted plants and trim they just turn into proper hash and sell like that instead of killing the bag appeal throwing those in with the prime nugs

It was like that when I lived in Canada, too. The shop which I was a regular of in Van was run by bikes. There was a mushroom store next door which was also run by the bikies. There was a cool cafe downstairs to smoke at though. Sounds like we're in the same boat wrt the weed. I really like natural pot now. I used to whine about getting it, but now it is my personal favourite.

Hydros main intention is quicker growth. Because of this, indica species are often considered.

Bush bud, or outdoor grown has less need to be fast growing. These can often be both indica and sativa hybrids, however significsnt less often would this need to be indica. This means the strong effects you describe could simply be more availability of indica as hydro.

Sativa effects are more inline with what you are describing with bush bud...