• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

It's a drug free life for us

sade

Greenlighter
I've recently quit an 11 year alcoholism habit but now looking for other substances to get high on such as benzos (which hardly do anything to me). Weed, cold water extracted codeine and dihydrocodeine, kava, kratom, spice and crack.

Is it possible to live a drug free life and be happy? Being straight headed bores me silly. I always need a buzz.

How long will it take me to get used to being clean from all substances and being happy being sober without getting bored?

Isn't there a song that goes something like, "love is the drug?" Something worth recognizing is that the same neurotransmitters that are activated when we use something like codeine or cocaine are also activated when we fall in love or get really caught up in something we are interested in doing. The substance use is problematic because it can desensitize us to the normal state of our emotions, making it more challenging to appreciate the "highs" of life. We end up associating feeling good with getting high from using something that alters our mood in a remarkable fashion, whereas everything else by comparison is a "lesser" state in terms of mood.

Codeine and dihydrocodeine, while IMO preferable to alcohol in every respect, can lead to a very unpleasant habit that is really hard to break. Same with kratom. Spice is problematic for a whole host of other reasons (the consensus seems to be that here are no currently available safe synth cannabinoids). Smoking cocaine, well, smoking cocaine is a recipe for a train wreck.

There is nothing wrong with needing a buzz. It's just a matter of finding a way to get that buzz that doesn't A) kill you, B) harm those around you, and C) prevent you from accomplishing your goals in life.

I'm confused as to what you want TBH. Is you goal being clean from all substance and being happy without being bored, or finding a way to keep your substance use from interfering with your lifestyle?

I am a recovering addict but realistically I am still an addict. I replaced heroin with methadone... but don't get me wrong it has completely given me a great deal of stability in my life where I don't have to resort to crime, steal and wake up sick every morning, and as time has progressed I have been able to undertake training and education that will hopefully lead me back to employment. I have used and abused many drugs in my time some of which I have used compulsively and harmfully leading to devastating consequences.

I have tried experimenting with being able to use drugs recreationally but most of the time my impulsive nature has not allowed me to do so. Of course I wish I could do drugs occationally as I enjoy the effects... that's why many people us drugs. Also, I see the medicinal value of certain drugs and I am completely for the use of drugs such as marijuana for that reason as well as recreational use. I really enjoyed the effects of benzos too and I attempted to use them every now and then but my frequency kept increasing until I was eventually physically and psychological addicted - that was not fun at all... I would definitely prefer to detox from heroin and be sick as a dog for a week (realistically two) than enduring months of anxiety, panic attracts, insomnia and depression.

I have learnt from my many mistakes attempting to use (particularly benzos) recreationally but it has nearly always ended badly. The only drug I am able to use occasionally and recreationally is cannabis and I am fortunate as I have found it helpful for relaxation, relieving the pain of opiate withdrawal and to help sleep. I prefer smoking hash and indica dominant strains as I have found more beneficial effects rather than sativa dominant strains as well as'skunk' to provoke anxiety. I also use alcohol occationally but I am very much aware that I could easily end up abusing it and becoming an alcoholic. I do find it hard to stop one I start having a drink so I don't buy any more than I intend to drink.

Abstinence-based recovery works for some people and groups such as AA, NA and CA are groups that are based on the ethos of abstinence. You might find them helpful but lie I said you may not. It's probably good to check out a could of groups ar different Venus before making your finally decision. Personal, I found those groups unhelpful.. I found being told that I "was not clean" as I was on methadone which was a massive kick in the teeth given the amount of effort I but towards my recovery and I kept relapsing and struggling and it was t until I was on a methadone script albeit "supported-recovery" which really help.

Early recovery can be a confusin place... boredom, depression, loneliness, regret, shame, low-self esteem, lack of motivation, lack of purpose or direction and confusion about your identity are common but thes tend to pass are you being building new positive and helpful connections in your life. Gaining a purpose... hippies, training, voulunteering and employment really help me with my depression, engaging in addiction services will help give you advice, attending groups and training to, meeting new people and help you get your zest for life back.

this process takes time, so don't be too hard on yourself, just take it one day at a time and try to make small positive changes and set yourself achievable and realistic goals!

i hope this helps!

This topic reminds me of a few lines from Chaucer's poem, 'The Parlement of Foules' (Parliament of Birds):

The lyf so short, the craft so longe to lerne.
Th’ assay so hard, so sharp the conquerynge,
The dredful joye, alwey that slit so yerne;
Al this mene I be love.

Roughly translated...

Life's so short, but learning how is slow.
We try so hard, we get beaten down,
We dream nightmares of joy, and wanting is always with us;
This is the love we have.

There's love and there's craving...these are irreducibly part of being a human. I see a big part of recovery being the project of learning to focus on the love we have in our lives instead of the things we lack (the cravings that haunt us). Maybe our hardest project of all since life is short, the craft so long to learn.

<3
Sim

In answer to your question, "How long will it take me to get used to being happy without substances?" that very much depends on how well you get to know yourself, your needs, your desires and how much you push the envelope of life to meet them. Perhaps you need lots of adrenaline; then don't choose a static life and wonder why you are unfulfilled. Perhaps you need constant rewards....ask yourself why? What larger thing do you really want that you believe to be unattainable (for most of us it is a sense of being known and belonging, being loved authentically). Insatiable cravings to be in an altered state are simply a result of hating the state of mind you default to. You can change that but it demands first the will to change and then a wild and determined patience to do so.

Your list of alternative highs, including crack, makes me wonder what compelled you to stop drinking? Was it the health effects? Most of the drugs you list will also create negative physical and psychological effects so I'm not sure what you are after.

I had to give up booze because it was/is damaging my liver. I'm 36, still live with my mother, no job since 2005 and I have low testosterone from abusing (not using) anabolic steroids.

The pain of a sober life scares me. I always need a buzz.