Find Tagged Reports by Substance
    Substance Category
    Specific Substance
    Find Reports
  • Trip Reports Moderator: Xorkoth

Ayahuasca - Touched by an Angel

Sir Ron Pib

Bluelighter
For Kaleida..... who for better or worse – (and I’m not sure it’s my best work) prompted me to finally attempt to get this experience written down…so with that in mind…

This trip report may be scant on some details due to how long ago it was; it’s sat unwritten since I think I found its subject matter difficult to tackle.
The straight facts would be I think at the time the betacarboline/RIMA source would have been straightforward ground Peganum harmala seed at 3.5-5g taken an hour before some brewed psychotria viridis leaves possibly with lemon juice as acidifying agent.
Another background note was that the bilious and vile tasting brew was proving very frustratingly difficult, what with all the problems associated with botanicals and, although I had introduced the idea of Ayahuasca to my two cohorts in this endeavour, while they went off on trips I would largely stay grounded. It’s likely I need more DMT than them and equally possible my threshold for MAO inhibition is higher. Traditional brews can be pretty high in harmine and this portion of the brew is regarded with more intrinsic value than just simply being an enabler of the DMT which might be more the way it's seen in the west more.

The time in question I had again seemingly drawn a blank so I can safely assume I was disappointed. I suspect at some point I had drunk more of the unpleasant brew.

Then something – a fairly sudden shift; a numbing anaesthesia and lighting up in the spark plugs of the mind. I don’t know how it happened now, somehow it just did. I was touched by an angel. It was a blessing...at this point I’d like to say I reacted to the majesty of the moment with great spiritual decorum, but actually I pissed myself laughing. I mean, it was wonderful, but a real angel was patently ridiculous – I whooped with laughter. How in hell was I ever going to tell this in a trip report? This seems a little ungracious but the angel’s reaction seemed to imply it had seen just this kind of reaction before, it just radiated love, in fact it seemed formed of the stuff as a sort of burning intelligence. It’s message was love, and the whole incident and fact of an angel was the message. At some point it ascended again, although I say this out of convention; I don’t think there was a literal up or down. I was left dazed and amazed and joyous and still greatly humoured – I remember looking out at the trippy vivid garden in all it’s magic and left pondering and piecing together this totally mind boggling experience, things looked wonderful and I felt something very important had happen. I don’t recall the trip lasting much longer but it was hard to tell in the aftermath of such an event since I was in a state of euphoria.

I’d never taken any notice of angels – the name largely suggested Victorian images of chubby, ruddy cheeked, sanitised winged babies known from Victorian art. Or perhaps worse yet I remembered a program of people talking about their angels which was so glowy and syrupy it was just nauseating. All spoken in soft lilting (not to mention deluded) new age voices it seemed.

A least two of those I did awkwardly tell about what had happened asked what did this angel look like? I answered it didn’t look like anything, really it was more felt as a presence. I guess I might have had some vaguely anthropomorphic shape in my mind or some impression of burning love forming this shape but did I see it? No I don’t think I did. What do things without physical form look like? To some degree one’s mind perhaps conjures up an image. Nor did it actually touch me in any literal fashion, but the metaphor is already known and it made great sense as the experience was running.

I’d always been interested in the idea of entities on psychedelics. What is interesting here is that it happened on a seemingly mild and fleeting intoxication. This experience plunged me into a great deal of thinking about different theoretical frames by which it might be explained and which I won’t expand on here. It was a powerful event, long cherished, the personal meaning of which isn’t really dependant on it being ‘real’ in the sense we might normally use.

Tagged by Xorkoth
substancecode_ayahuasca
substancecode_dmt
substancecode_maois
substancecode_tryptamines
explevel_firsttime
exptype_positive
exptype_glowing
exptype_spiritual
roacode_oral

Last edited by a moderator:
Really interesting, I can understand why you would have a hard time with details especially since it happened a long time ago. Ineffable experiences are hard to convey. It sounds lovely though. :) I've had the sense before on psychedelics where I just knew the reality of a situation or experience, where it feels different from the more common experiences which are perceptual distortions/fantasies, and not to be taken as fact (if you don't differentiate very strictly between the two, you can end up in some really delusional places). Certain rare experiences I have had I do truly believe, because of how much different they were and how self-evident they were, than my bulk of "mundane" psychedelic moments. The first one was my first trip, when I woke up from the dream of life and realized we're all the universe experiencing itself subjectively. I know someone could say to me that it was just the effects of the drug, but I know it was not. Or anyway, I "know" enough that I believe it, of course none of us can really know things about the nature of reality for 100% sure.

Hey, thanks for writing this up. :D It was a very interesting and entertaining read. Knowing the full context puts in a perspective that seems even more remarkable, given that like you said it was an otherwise relatively mild intoxication....

I also find events like this fascinating because they show how truly detached many of the effects of psychedelics are. The hallucinations may give the psychological depth some extra penetration, but they're really not required.... If your mind is pushed to a certain point, even if it's just this once because the stars happened to be aligning when you got high, things are gonna get trippy. And when your mind is tripped out all bets are off, whatever your senses may be trying to tell you can be irrelevant.... It certainly does make for some hard to describe phenomena!

Thanks again for taking the time to try though, I thought I could empathize with it pretty well. :) It sounds like a pretty great experience, I could definitely understand feeling moved after having something like that happen out of nowhere. A lot of what you describe generally makes sense to me too, the entity contact does seem to typically be accompanied for me by feelings of love or interest, and though it tends to use the hallucinations as a stage it can itself be more ethereal or omnipresent....

Anyway, what is real? Sure sounds like a concrete experience to me regardless of what your senses might tell you. :)